More news re production timings for Australia

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Message from Dan Balmer

Following on from our last communication in August, where we informed you about the ongoing delays to Emira production, we wanted to update you a little more on our production outlook.

We’ve since begun to deliver demonstrator and customer cars to our Europe region. I’m happy to say we’ve also completed and started to ship the very first cars for our APAC / MEAI region which are a mix of demonstrator and customer cars

Europe was always planned to be the first region to receive cars, followed by the UK customers – this is down to certification timing which is now separate between the two. The certification process is largely complete for our APAC / MEAI region or will be complete by the time shipments start to arrive in each of the markets.

Despite the progress, the supply & resource challenges still plague us. Compared to our original launch ramp up plan, we have had to slow our output down and significantly flatten the ramp up to full production speed. We are also focusing on achieving the right quality for all Emiras. Keeping this discipline is vital to us, but it doesn’t allow us to catch back time for you. In simple terms, we will not be able to build all planned 2022 Emira V6 First Editions, most of our customer cars will now be delayed into 2023.

We want to ensure our planning is robust, so we can provide more reliable timing to our customers. This applies especially the Automatic gearbox version of V6 First Edition. We will update you on our 2023 planning in the next few weeks, as we seek to firm up our production plans. However, production of the Automatic gearbox variant will likely start in Q2 2023.

Naturally we’ve had many questions of when specific customer orders will be built. Our sequence is still changing based on parts availability, so we cannot always quote reliable build dates. Early depositors will understandably be frustrated that they do not yet know their exact timing. Over the past two weeks we have seen a stronger schedule adherence from our suppliers, which has led to (revised) production targets being achieved.

The global supply problem has seen every car manufacturer affected in one way or another. Those companies launching new products at this time are particularly affected. At the same time, we are encouraged by the very positive reports from new owners and media alike. We are confident we have a strong new sports car which our customers will be delighted with. One such review is the latest episode of ‘Harry’s Garage’ on YouTube where you can see a very detailed account of the new Emira production process along with an interview with our VP & Managing Director, Matt Windle offering his honest and personal perspective on the launch of Emira and the production challenges we’ve seen.

As a result of the latest supply outlook and reduced production rate (vs. plan) we do expect the I4 engine version and the base ‘free spec’ production slots to be mid-2023 production, due to the delays with the V6 First Edition slots. Naturally we are focussing on fulfilling the V6 First Edition orders which will now run well into 2023.

We can only apologise for the ongoing delays and, of course, thank you for your patience once again. We do appreciate the sight of customers in another region receiving their cars has only increased the excitement, but also some frustration at the lack of credible news on your own order.

If you have further specific questions, please ask your official Lotus Retailer – who can confer with us on the specific details. Until you get to drive your Emira, we wish you all well and thank you again for your patience.

Best regards,

Dan Balmer

Regional Director - Asia Pacific & Middle East

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Again, the Lotus Australia team provide more insightful communications.

The news isn’t good from a delay perspective, but there is logic and some justification provided.

I’m keeping calm and carrying on!

OP
kbhoz

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score

The news isn’t good from a delay perspective, but there is logic and some justification provided.

Likewise - i have sympathy for the local Lotus team.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Europe was always planned to be the first region to receive cars, followed by the UK customers

Thats simply another Lotus Lie.... how can they keep making these school boy errors..... getting it so wrong....
We were told the opposite..and I believe its on record

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
However, production of the Automatic gearbox variant will likely start in Q2 2023.

@Bilbao-Emira

i imagine this is global, not just over there (I guess) ..... so could be a long wait for auto...... for you and for everyone...

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Auto boxes to start production Q2 2023, as these are RHD cars, I wonder if this is indicative of when UK cars will also go into production for those of us with auto orders in the UK?

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

To be fair they have just proved how easy it really is.

One well penned letter sent every 3 months is all that is required. Along with some brand filler in between updates, which Lotus already have and is put out everywhere bar directly to deposit holders, who should really be treated like 'Patreons' with early access to content

Q2 for auto doesnt sound ideal if thats global, but is what it is i guess.

Means those early UK depositers at least know now that they have a possible 6 month wait ahead and delivery will be in the summer #bonus

Guess for you guys that means August 23 +

OP
kbhoz

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
To be fair they have just proved how easy it really is.

One well penned letter sent every 3 months is all that is required. Along with some brand filler in between updates, which Lotus already have and is put out everywhere bar directly to deposit holders, who should really be treated like 'Patreons' with early access to content

Q2 for auto doesnt sound ideal if thats global, but is what it is i guess.

Means those early UK depositers at least know now that they have a possible 6 month wait ahead and delivery will be in the summer #bonus

Guess for you guys that means August 23 +
Yes - deposit paid in July 2021 - so a two year wait as I have ordered V6 Auto. I cancelled my C8 convertible order as it was going to take 18 months :oops:. Still have my V6 Exige Roadster to play with as I wait - so I get one more Summer with roof off. There is always an upside if you look for it.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
However, production of the Automatic gearbox variant will likely start in Q2 2023.

@Bilbao-Emira

i imagine this is global, not just over there (I guess) ..... so could be a long wait for auto...... for you and for everyone...
I am speechless .
How could they get it so wrong on the Auto planning?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am speechless .
Or Aisin is struggling to deliver auto gearboxes from Japan. Who knows, we can only speculate.

A friend ordering a Lexus had his car delayed by 18months and counting...

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I am speechless .
I remember (quite a while back) that @TomE mentioned that there was a shortage of auto gearboxes. Can't remember now which thread it was in and what the source of the info was, but I am sure that Tom will kindly provide the info again. It is surprising that Lotus haven't been able to address this, but I suppose it is out of their hands if the third party supplier can't get the bits they need to build the gearboxes. It is massively disappointing and reflects very badly on those responsible for procurement to not see this as a potential problem a long time ago and made the auto a separate launch. A bit like the I4 following the V6.

OP
kbhoz

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I remember (quite a while back) that @TomE mentioned that there was a shortage of auto gearboxes. Can't remember now which thread it was in and what the source of the info was, but I am sure that Tom will kindly provide the info again. It is surprising that Lotus haven't been able to address this, but I suppose it is out of their hands if the third party supplier can't get the bits they need to build the gearboxes. It is massively disappointing and reflects very badly on those responsible for procurement to not see this as a potential problem a long time ago and made the auto a separate launch. A bit like the I4 following the V6.
Possibly they will be able to supply the i4 before the first addition V6 Auto! - only time will tell.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Possibly they will be able to supply the i4 before the first addition V6 Auto! - only time will tell.
If you had the choice, would you get an i4T DCT if it was delivered at the same time?

OP
kbhoz

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If you had the choice, would you get an i4T DCT if it was delivered at the same time?
I don't think so, I really enjoy the V6 (and its reliability). I hope it arrives at some time but I cant wait forever. I would have to reconsider all the options and the 23/24 C8 3LT convertible is a steal at the price, cheaper than the Emira. I am hopeful Lotus will also launch a Roadster (or HTC) in a future model. Ultimately we will all be going electric so that changes everything again.