• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Here's How The Lotus Emira Compares With The Evora

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This isn't even a tenth of the complexity of FCA utilizing the Giorgio platform across body styles and brands. I mean, this should have been relatively easy. Once you take out the drivetrain and chassis, there's not much left to work on.
I know you're all fans, and so was I up to a point, but this is bad execution by any standard. Would have thought Geely's resources would have ironed this out. Certainly the Polestar is a more polished jewel, and it's not nearly as basic as this car.
See ya next year.
Adios! No need to waste your precious time on what you view as an "amateur hour" forum at any rate.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You gotta be kidding. It's not a "challenge" at all, especially with today's 3D modeling technology.

Aside from that, a lot of this stuff is simply outsourced.
DKEffectSA.png

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m late to the party on this thread but can you tell me if the supercharger on the Emira is the same 4 lobe roots style that was in the Evora S or did they move to a twin screw? I can’t find the detailed specifications from the manufacturer.
It's an Eaton R1740 compressor section in an Edelbrock housing made specifically for Lotus. The R1740 is a roots style with 4 lobes, 160deg twist.

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Been around the block a few times, Son. Help yourself.
Ah yes, I can see clearly from your style of communication that you're a mature and seasoned thinker, deserving of our respect and admiration.

Please, do go on. We're all waiting to see what pearls of wisdom you cast before all us swine next.

hagen111

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Did I stutter?
You guys can play the fanboys all you want, but I've been car freak since the NSU Ro80, and this is just amateur hour.

From another forum:
" I rebuild/restore Evoras and seen every inch of S1 and 400 chassis. I was quite suprised how much carry over or just slightly upgraded parts were used.

First 2 pics are subframe comparisons.
Front Evora pic is reversed. Susp mounting looks identical but arm is a pinch longer. Notice very long ARB link now attached to upper arm.
Rear Subframes look identical from side shot. Emira has 2 exhaust cuts out added directly below trunk platform.
Rear hub has E brake caliper.

Front firewall looks 100% identical. I'll add comparison shot. ABS module still in same place.

Interior dash beam is bigger and can see added raised center tunnel. Rear firewall center section brought in few inches. Assuming for better heat management and mounting evap box, etc. 4cyl might have not worked in Evora chassis closer firewall set up.

Rear trunk is now bolted to car seperate from body panels . Be curious if removing rear interior still required for engine or clutch work.

Side fluid piping now accessible (i think) without tearing into body.

Pics explain how they could do pretty thorough chassis development with Evora body. Plus why we never saw Emira camo'ed bo
dy car testing."

I don't get the point. The Lotus chassis has always been very good - why change it? Why build a totally new car - when it is clear you will never retrieve development cost!? The V6 and compressor are actually a really good match for this chassis.

I think Lotus went the absolute perfect way - use the good bits which have proven itself in Exige V6 and Evora and go from there with updated interior and beautiful exterior.

It all makes a lot of sense, given Lotus size and position as a car manufacturer.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Complexities in manufacturing almost never come directly from a different shape or visual appearance. Rather, it's usually a new process or material - which may have been necessary due to a new shape or appearance, but you can't tell this by just looking at something as a layperson. Significantly different new processes and materials may also have been incorporated in the production of familiar shapes or appearances - which again a layperson would not know just by looking at the finished product.

Regardless of what Lotus has decided to change or not change from the Evora to the Emira, we know for sure that there are plenty of new processes involved. It's one thing to be skilled at building cars one after another, but it's quite something else to be skilled at building factories - which is what Lotus had to do. GM/Toyota may be able to get a factory up and running quickly, but those companies are significantly more experienced at it, and they have tried-and-true formulas for that task, with incremental optimizations developed over the years. Lotus has gone from one small-batch production process to a slightly-larger-batch production process. Their contemporaries are other small-volume car manufacturers and not GM/Toyota.

SPoivre

Reaction score
I’m entirely agreeing with @Max’s sentiment on this one if not his specifics. The launch in the US has been totally screwed up by Lotus. I think it’s hard for any reasonable person to make any excuses for Lotus at this point.

This isn’t 5 guys in a garage in Las Vegas launching a new car. It’s Lotus who have been doing it for a while, Geely which is large and resourceful and Volvo which had decades of experience in North America. Refresh or no refresh, there is no excuse. Car companies get new cars and refreshes through regulatory hurdles every few years. This is not new ground Lotus is covering. It is a well worn path.

A few people in this process are entirely incompetent. Unless Matt Windle’s hands were completely tied by Geely , he needs to go. He is ultimately the one responsible at Lotus. Let’s be serious, Lotus is even a year behind opening their flagship retail store in London. The Covid excuse is long gone at this point. Lotus Management isn’t up to the task of taking Lotus forward. Good thing they had some designers to help save their butts, but enough is enough.

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m entirely agreeing with @Max’s sentiment on this one if not his specifics. The launch in the US has been totally screwed up by Lotus. I think it’s hard for any reasonable person to make any excuses for Lotus at this point.

This isn’t 5 guys in a garage in Las Vegas launching a new car. It’s Lotus who have been doing it for a while, Geely which is large and resourceful and Volvo which had decades of experience in North America. Refresh or no refresh, there is no excuse. Car companies get new cars and refreshes through regulatory hurdles every few years. This is not new ground Lotus is covering. It is a well worn path.

A few people in this process are entirely incompetent. Unless Matt Windle’s hands were completely tied by Geely , he needs to go. He is ultimately the one responsible at Lotus. Let’s be serious, Lotus is even a year behind opening their flagship retail store in London. The Covid excuse is long gone at this point. Lotus Management isn’t up to the task of taking Lotus forward. Good thing they had some designers to help save their butts, but enough is enough.
I don't know who you're addressing this to. We've taken issue with Max because he's rude and assumptive, not because his point is incorrect.

If you go back over the past year and a half on this forum, a significant number of the key contributors here have been essentially eviscerating the brass at Lotus for what many of us see as an incredible series of failures in communication, planning, and execution. Some of the posts on this topic have been absolutely epic rants. I encourage you to track a few down, you'll probably find some of it gratifying.

For my own part, I've literally made direct complaint about these issues to relatively senior Lotus staff on both sides of the Atlantic, including in person, and as a most recent strategy I have initiated a request for obligatory regulatory disclosure from the US government about where things stand in the US market homologation process for the Emira. So it's not like we're twiddling our thumbs and playing Pollyanna here.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't know who you're addressing this to. We've taken issue with Max because he's rude and assumptive, not because his point is incorrect.

If you go back over the past year and a half on this forum, a significant number of the key contributors here have been essentially eviscerating the brass at Lotus for what many of us see as an incredible series of failures in communication, planning, and execution. Some of the posts on this topic have been absolutely epic rants. I encourage you to track a few down, you'll probably find some of it gratifying.

For my own part, I've literally made direct complaint about these issues to relatively senior Lotus staff on both sides of the Atlantic, including in person, and as a most recent strategy I have initiated a request for obligatory regulatory disclosure from the US government about where things stand in the US market homologation process for the Emira. So it's not like we're twiddling our thumbs and playing Pollyanna here.
Can it, you filthy Lotus Apologist! 🦆

Max

Reaction score
I don't get the point. The Lotus chassis has always been very good - why change it? Why build a totally new car - when it is clear you will never retrieve development cost!? The V6 and compressor are actually a really good match for this chassis.

I think Lotus went the absolute perfect way - use the good bits which have proven itself in Exige V6 and Evora and go from there with updated interior and beautiful exterior.

It all makes a lot of sense, given Lotus size and position as a car manufacturer.
I happen to agree. As Matt Farah pointed out, the brakes are a complete carry over. As they should be, because they work very well. But all the MORE reason getting sandbagged on delivery like this is inexcusable. Sorry.

Max

Reaction score

"I have initiated a request for obligatory regulatory disclosure from the US government about where things stand in the US market homologation process for the Emira. So it's not like we're twiddling our thumbs and playing Pollyanna here."

You shouldn't have to be doing this. Just saying ....

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
"I have initiated a request for obligatory regulatory disclosure from the US government about where things stand in the US market homologation process for the Emira. So it's not like we're twiddling our thumbs and playing Pollyanna here."

You shouldn't have to be doing this. Just saying ....
Of course I shouldn't have to be doing that. It's abundantly obvious. But you know what I'm not doing? I'm not treating other people here like they're idiots for continuing to be interested and invested in a vehicle that represents a completely unique value proposition from both an engineering content and a dynamics perspective.

If you want to participate here respectfully, please do so. If you're irritated with Lotus, that's totally fine. But nobody is an idiot for being here, or a fool for remaining patient and/or optimistic with regard to the long-term outcomes.

Lotus has a long track record of terrible product launches and imperfect business management, coupled with the delivery of stellar engineering-led products that stand the test of time and provide deeply rewarding (though often imperfect) long-term ownership experiences. I expect this one to be no different, no matter what friction we are experiencing in these early stages. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but it would be out of the historic pattern if so.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Of course I shouldn't have to be doing that. It's abundantly obvious. But you know what I'm not doing? I'm not treating other people here like they're idiots for continuing to be interested and invested in a vehicle that represents a completely unique value proposition from both an engineering content and a dynamics perspective.

If you want to participate here respectfully, please do so. If you're irritated with Lotus, that's totally fine. But nobody is an idiot for being here, or a fool for remaining patient and/or optimistic with regard to the long-term outcomes.

Lotus has a long track record of terrible product launches and imperfect business management, coupled with the delivery of stellar engineering-led products that stand the test of time and provide deeply rewarding (though often imperfect) long-term ownership experiences. I expect this one to be no different, no matter what friction we are experiencing in these early stages. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but it would be out of the historic pattern if so.
I hope you're right, @Porter. I'm eager to experience that Lotus ownership experience and I (as I'm sure many others) appreciate your posts in this forum. Perhaps when we have our Emiras we will have a regional meet-up sometime since we're both in the mid-Atlantic USA!

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I hope you're right, @Porter. I'm eager to experience that Lotus ownership experience and I (as I'm sure many others) appreciate your posts in this forum. Perhaps when we have our Emiras we will have a regional meet-up sometime since we're both in the mid-Atlantic USA!
Looking forward to it!

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Evora

Evolve​
Enthuse​
Excite​
Embrace​
Extend​
Excuse​
Empathise​
Embitter​
Embattled​
Embarrass​
Exasperate​
Excoriate​

Emira
Exactly 😉

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Evora

Evolve​
Enthuse​
Excite​
Embrace​
Extend​
Excuse​
Empathise​
Embitter​
Embattled​
Embarrass​
Exasperate​
Excoriate​

Emira
Totally over my head. What is the joke? :unsure:

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Totally over my head. What is the joke? :unsure:
I think it's a a clever, alliterative way to express the mental journey that @TomE has experienced while attempting to move from the Evora on to the Emira ;) Or perhaps his take on what others may be feeling (particularly the last one on the list)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think it's a a clever, alliterative way to express the mental journey that @TomE has experienced while attempting to move from the Evora on to the Emira ;) Or perhaps his take on what others may be feeling (particularly the last one on the list)
Some of mine, but mainly how others on here have been expressing it in this thread. And based on Lotus naming cars with an E- format.

My personal journey includes going back to the top and enjoying my Evora while waiting with Expectation for an Emira GT :)