Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
LotusEvoraGT.jpeg
LotusEmira.jpeg

Let's take a closer look at how these supercars compare, starting with their exterior design.
Lotus recently announced the Emira, which is to be last gas car they'll produce. Aside from being the last of its genre, the Emira has many fascinating specs worth taking a closer look at.

Considering Emira is the successor of Evora, it really makes sense to compare the two supercars and see how their specifications and features contrast side by side. Is The Emira a big improvement on the Evora or does it not go far enough?

When it comes to the exterior design of the Emira, quite a few changes stand out when compared to the Lotus. The modern design of the Emira suits both the style of Lotus and the imposing design wave that can be seen throughout sports cars of the modern era.

The exterior design of the Emira distinguishes itself in many ways with rounder edges, simpler cuts and alterations to the sides that help with aerodynamics. It appears that the Emria's design is, at least in part, inspired by the layout of other supercars like the Ferrari 488. The Emira represents significant progress over the Evora.

The Emira's interior is on a whole different level compared to the Evora. The new design has a premium, luxurious, and sporty look and feel all at once. The wheel has been improved, the new instrument panel is a 12.3-inch TFT display that looks crispy, and the new central touschreen is a 10.25-inch that makes the driver's life easier, offering easy access to important performance data. The Emira also comes with two cupholders in the center as well as 7.4cu-ft of storage space behind the front seats.

This supercar is generally comfier than the Evora too, as it has more space on the inside. The colors that Lotus picked for the launch version are both dashing and premium. The overall design is a lot more modern and luxurious than Evora's and promises an even better driving experience.

The steering of the Emira is hydraulic-based and its suspension has multi-link setups front and rear. The ride comes with steel brakes and its 20-inches wheels will be covered by the Goodyear Eagle F1 as the standard package.

When it comes to the engine, the Emira will have the same Toyota supercharged 3.5-liter V-6 that was used for the Evora. The Lotus Emira will develop about 400 hp with this engine and notably that is a bit lower than the 416 hp of the 2021 Evora GT.

That is happening to decrease the emissions of the engine. After mid-2022 the AMG-built M139 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 will be another option for Emira's engine with an output of about 360 hp.

As Lotus has advertised, the Emira will be able to reach 0-60 mph in less than 4.5 seconds. That's slightly longer than the 3.8 seconds that the 2020 Evora GT can do it in. As for the new car's top speed, 180 mph is the official number given by Lotus. Again, that's slightly under Evora's top speed of 188 mph.

All in all, the new Emira may look better than the Evora but the older car will be a bit faster. That is mainly down to the extra horsepower that the Evora's engine produces. The Emira will cost about $80,000 and will start production next April.

Source

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Emira has the same wheelbase and very similar overall dimensions as the Evora. Here are the external measurements plus an Exige, Cayman and Huracan for comparison:

Evora: 4361 L x 1848 W x 1229 H (millimetres)
Emira: 4413 L x 1895 W x 1226 H - so roughly 5cm/2inches longer and wider than the Evora
Exige: 3784 L x 1727 W x 1168 H (Series 1)
Cayman: 4405 L x 1801 W x 1276 H (718 GTS 4.0)
Huracan: 4520 L x 1933 W x 1165 H

Until you can get a test drive in an Emira, driving an Evora GT or Sport 410 will give you a good approximation.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The Emira has the same wheelbase and very similar overall dimensions as the Evora. Here are the external measurements plus an Exige, Cayman and Huracan for comparison:

Emira: 4413 L x 1895 W x 1226 H - so roughly 5cm/2inches longer and wider than the Evora

Until you can get a test drive in an Emira, driving an Evora GT or Sport 410 will give you a good approximation.
I’m late to the party on this thread but can you tell me if the supercharger on the Emira is the same 4 lobe roots style that was in the Evora S or did they move to a twin screw? I can’t find the detailed specifications from the manufacturer.

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

That's exactly what I did, although the Evora GT I drove had an automatic transmission. Still, it was definitely a thrill ride.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just lurking here, as I loved the idea of this car coming out at a somewhat decent price point, but how this company, with this massive injection of cash, can't get what is, at bottom, a re-skinned Evora out the door has to be the biggest cluster f**k I've ever seen in automotive history. And I got my license in 1970. The price is gone, the delivery is now out to 2024, and the old excuses are ancient history now.
Most of the car is made of carry-over parts. This is absurd.

And I have no idea why they're prioritizing tiny markets like Korea and Japan when the U. S. is where the volume and the sell-through is.
Astounding incompetence. They make Alfasud look like BMW.
Unbelievable.
This is one of those comments that perpetuates a falsehood, that the Emira is just a re-skinned Evora. It is not. It is based on much of what they learned from the Evora, but all the parts with the exception of about 10 I believe, are brand new designed parts. Just because there may be some similarities to some things on an Evora, does not mean they are "carry-over" parts.

That being said, I can't argue that this has been an incredible 2 year fumble. Granted there were outside factors that were severe and affected everybody, not just Lotus, but from all I've seen for the past 2 years, it's starting to look like they not only didn't expect this car to be a huge success, they didn't even particularly want it to be. It was supposed to be a farewell homage to the end of the ICE era for Lotus, and I think mainly a development program to get the new production facility up and running for the Type 135 which begins their new electric sports car era.

Funny thing happened on the way to the wall plug. The Emira turned out to be the biggest hit they've ever had. Who knew? They certainly didn't. Unbelievably, they had nothing ready in place it seems to support that kind of success, and it's been like watching Charlie Brown try to kick the football ever since.

The dilemma they have now is, the Type 135 is supposed to be out in 2025, and I'm guessing the plan was/is to debut it at Goodwood FOS next year in 2024. It's supposed to be taking over the production facility the Emira is using, except they currently have a full order book for the Emira for the next 3 years. Believe it or not, it's actually starting to look like they are trying to cull down the order book for the Emira with all these delays and price increases. At the rate things are going, the BASE models are going to start at $100k in the U.S. That ought to do it. Probably the star attraction was the looks and the price point, but as the price point keeps going up, that should thin down the orders. Now however, it's starting to be apparent that the Type 135 is probably going to start above $100k, so that takes it out of the 'every man's' sports car market segment. Not sure what the strategy is here, but they've got to be careful.

I'm going to be fortunate enough to be getting mine at the grandfathered price of $93,900, but I'm seriously wondering where Lotus thinks they're going with everything they've done, are doing, and looks like they're going to do. Once you get above $100k, you're in one incredibly tough and competitive market. That's where the big boys are, and Lotus isn't even close to being in that league yet.

Last edited:

Max

Reaction score
This is one of those comments that perpetuates a falsehood, that the Emira is just a re-skinned Evora. It is not. It is based on much of what they learned from the Evora, but all the parts with the exception of about 10 I believe, are brand new designed parts. Just because there may be some similarities to some things on an Evora, does not mean they are "carry-over" parts.

That being said, I can't argue that this has been an incredible 2 year fumble. Granted there were outside factors that were severe and affected everybody, not just Lotus, but from all I've seen for the past 2 years, it's starting to look like they not only didn't expect this car to be a huge success, they didn't even particularly want it to be. It was supposed to be a farewell homage to the end of the ICE era for Lotus, and I think mainly a development program to get the new production facility up and running for the Type 135 which begins their new electric sports car era.

Funny thing happened on the way to the wall plug. The Emira turned out to be the biggest hit they've ever had. Who knew? They certainly didn't. Unbelievably, they had nothing ready in place it seems to support that kind of success, and it's been like watching Charlie Brown try to kick the football ever since.

The dilemma they have now is, the Type 135 is supposed to be out in 2025, and I'm guessing the plan was/is to debut it at Goodwood FOS next year in 2024. It's supposed to be taking over the production facility the Emira is using, except they currently have a full order book for the Emira for the next 3 years. Believe it or not, it's actually starting to look like they are trying to cull down the order book for the Emira with all these delays and price increases. At the rate things are going, the BASE models are going to start at $100k in the U.S. That ought to do it. Probably the star attraction was the looks and the price point, but as the price point keeps going up, that should thin down the orders. Now however, it's starting to be apparent that the Type 135 is probably going to start above $100k, so that takes it out of the 'every man's' sports car market segment. Not sure what the strategy is here, but they've got to be careful.

I'm going to be fortunate enough to be getting mine at the grandfathered price of $93,900, but I'm seriously wondering where Lotus thinks they're going with everything they've done, are doing, and looks like they're going to do. Once you get above $100k, you're in one incredibly tough and competitive market. That's where the big boys are, and Lotus isn't even close to being in that league yet.
LOL, the drivetrain is over a decade old and the chassis is practically carryover from the Evora. Then they raided the Volvo parts bin for interior bits.
What's left? The trunk design? Sourcing the rest of the parts needed should have been a cakewalk.
This is a bare bones car with the average Buick having more content.
And do we have a NAFTA approved version yet?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
LOL, the drivetrain is over a decade old and the chassis is practically carryover from the Evora. Then they raided the Volvo parts bin for interior bits.
What's left? The trunk design? Sourcing the rest of the parts needed should have been a cakewalk.
This is a bare bones car with the average Buick having more content.
And do we have a NAFTA approved version yet?
Hmm... your "new" bitter sarcasm is just a bit different from "a re-skinned Evora" and "Most of the car is made of carry-over parts" but you're still a bit off.

A.....
completely new body
completely new glass
completely new headlights, tail lights, lighting
completely new side-view mirrors
completely new interior (compared to an Evora) with a few bits from Volvo
completely new frame, tub, chassis
completely new wishbone suspension
completely new radiators and cooling
completely new forged wheels (FE edition)
completely new electronics
completely new sound system never used in a car by any company before
oh and yes, a new trunk

And all of that having to pass new regulations no previous Lotus has had to pass. So a little more than a cake walk, yes?

They've had a lot of challenges, so at least they've managed to get the car into production and delivered to customers. I'm not going to be ridiculous in my criticism just because it's the current trend du jour. However there are/were quite a few things they should have and in my opinion could have done, that would have made this process more than just getting a car into production.

They have the people there that could have done this. Scott Walker would have been great as a brand ambassador, if they'd put him in charge of media and customer engagement. Right now Lotus is behaving as though they're just a manufacturing company, but if they want to play in the upscale customer big leagues, they're going to have to do more than that.

Max

Reaction score
Hmm... your "new" bitter sarcasm is just a bit different from "a re-skinned Evora" and "Most of the car is made of carry-over parts" but you're still a bit off.

A.....
completely new body
completely new glass
completely new headlights, tail lights, lighting
completely new side-view mirrors
completely new interior (compared to an Evora) with a few bits from Volvo
completely new frame, tub, chassis
completely new wishbone suspension
completely new radiators and cooling
completely new forged wheels (FE edition)
completely new electronics
completely new sound system never used in a car by any company before
oh and yes, a new trunk

And all of that having to pass new regulations no previous Lotus has had to pass. So a little more than a cake walk, yes?

They've had a lot of challenges, so at least they've managed to get the car into production and delivered to customers. I'm not going to be ridiculous in my criticism just because it's the current trend du jour. However there are/were quite a few things they should have and in my opinion could have done, that would have made this process more than just getting a car into production.

They have the people there that could have done this. Scott Walker would have been great as a brand ambassador, if they'd put him in charge of media and customer engagement. Right now Lotus is behaving as though they're just a manufacturing company, but if they want to play in the upscale customer big leagues, they're going to have to do more than that.
Wow! NEW GLASS! And new headlights and taillights are HOW hard to get into production? None of the things you listed are insurmountable engineering challenges, especially when the drivetrain was carryover.
If the big stuff was already done, what was the problem with the small stuff? You're blaming KEF? Really?
Worse is the fact they apparently had no ground game for the Western Hemisphere, which at this point, is inexcusable.
I was as excited as anyone when the car came out, but a company like Geely didn't need your money, and there's STILL no delivery window. I mean, this is just absurd.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Wow! NEW GLASS! And new headlights and taillights are HOW hard to get into production? None of the things you listed are insurmountable engineering challenges, especially when the drivetrain was carryover.
If the big stuff was already done, what was the problem with the small stuff? You're blaming KEF? Really?
Worse is the fact they apparently had no ground game for the Western Hemisphere, which at this point, is inexcusable.
I was as excited as anyone when the car came out, but a company like Geely didn't need your money, and there's STILL no delivery window. I mean, this is just absurd.
Why are you here, then?

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wow. If you believe a new body, chassis, interior and suspension (plus all the other items you choose to overlook ) are small, then what in your mind are big changes?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wow! NEW GLASS! And new headlights and taillights are HOW hard to get into production? None of the things you listed are insurmountable engineering challenges,
I know you think you're being clever, but in actuality, new headlights and taillights are literally one of the most difficult things to engineer due to all of the different (and conflicting) automotive lighting regulations around the world.

It's a massive engineering and materials design challenge, and that's before you get to the crazy and unexpected difficulties of manufacturing a complex 3 dimensional part that has to be optically clear. It's a whole thing.

Max

Reaction score
Did I stutter?
You guys can play the fanboys all you want, but I've been car freak since the NSU Ro80, and this is just amateur hour.

From another forum:
" I rebuild/restore Evoras and seen every inch of S1 and 400 chassis. I was quite suprised how much carry over or just slightly upgraded parts were used.

First 2 pics are subframe comparisons.
Front Evora pic is reversed. Susp mounting looks identical but arm is a pinch longer. Notice very long ARB link now attached to upper arm.
Rear Subframes look identical from side shot. Emira has 2 exhaust cuts out added directly below trunk platform.
Rear hub has E brake caliper.

Front firewall looks 100% identical. I'll add comparison shot. ABS module still in same place.

Interior dash beam is bigger and can see added raised center tunnel. Rear firewall center section brought in few inches. Assuming for better heat management and mounting evap box, etc. 4cyl might have not worked in Evora chassis closer firewall set up.

Rear trunk is now bolted to car seperate from body panels . Be curious if removing rear interior still required for engine or clutch work.

Side fluid piping now accessible (i think) without tearing into body.

Pics explain how they could do pretty thorough chassis development with Evora body. Plus why we never saw Emira camo'ed bo
dy car testing."

Max

Reaction score
I know you think you're being clever, but in actuality, new headlights and taillights are literally one of the most difficult things to engineer due to all of the different (and conflicting) automotive lighting regulations around the world.

It's a massive engineering and materials design challenge, and that's before you get to the crazy and unexpected difficulties of manufacturing a complex 3 dimensional part that has to be optically clear. It's a whole thing.
You gotta be kidding. It's not a "challenge" at all, especially with today's 3D modeling technology.

Aside from that, a lot of this stuff is simply outsourced.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A clean sheet design. This is practically a refresh.
I guess 99% of all vehicles are easy refreshes then. Can't name many vehicles that aren't derivatives/upgrades/modifications of previous models. Who would have thought car design, engineering and manufacturing was so simple... :rolleyes:

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
As someone who has done quite a bit of 3D design, I can assure you that often, things aren't as simple as they seem. A simple design change can result in issues you would never have guessed would happen. FEA can help only so much. Testing testing is often crucial.

Mark.

Reaction score
Most manufacturers new models are evolutionary changes not revolutionary changes. It's the way things work. Wheels are still round, small improvements in design are made with each iteration.

Max

Reaction score
I guess 99% of all vehicles are easy refreshes then. Can't name many vehicles that aren't derivatives/upgrades/modifications of previous models. Who would have thought car design, engineering and manufacturing was so simple... :rolleyes:
This isn't even a tenth of the complexity of FCA utilizing the Giorgio platform across body styles and brands. I mean, this should have been relatively easy. Once you take out the drivetrain and chassis, there's not much left to work on.
I know you're all fans, and so was I up to a point, but this is bad execution by any standard. Would have thought Geely's resources would have ironed this out. Certainly the Polestar is a more polished jewel, and it's not nearly as basic as this car.
See ya next year.