Can someone compare Lotus hydraulic steering to a STI?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is a very specific thread! I was just wondering if anyone has driven a WRX STI and can compare the hydraulic steering in a Lotus to the STI. I am familiar with STI's and love their steering but it's the only car I have ever driven with hydraulic steering and was wondering if they all feel similar.

Ok, I know this is a very specific thread! I was just wondering if anyone has driven a WRX STI and can compare the hydraulic steering in a Lotus to the STI. I am familiar with STI's and love their steering but it's the only car I have ever driven with hydraulic steering and was wondering if they all feel similar.
I owned 2 STIs. I had the first 2004 Java black pearl STI in the States and then a 2006 aspen white. Loved both!

That being said, hydraulic steering is hydraulic steering.. You'll have the same familiar feedback in the steering wheel. The STi handled good but was rally inspired AWD front engine sports car. The Lotus steering feels incredible (at least from my Evora GT experience) but a lot has to do with the overall handling being a mid engine RWD supercar.. Plus the Emira will feature double wishbone suspension and inverted Bilsteins IIRC.. All of that makes a big difference in steering "feel" IMO.

I currently have a FWD MK7 GTI with electric steering, but even so, it still manages to feel pretty responsive on the track in sport mode. Electric steering helps fwd cars eliminate torque steer too, which is a plus!

Plus the Emira will feature double wishbone suspension and inverted Bilsteins IIRC.. All of that makes a big difference in steering "feel" IMO.

Thanks for the comparison. Now I am very excited to feel how the hydraulic steering responds in the Lotus as you describe. The STi steering was different that anything I had experienced. Looking forward to that again with the Emira.

I also had an STi- a 2004 WRC Blue with gold wheels. Bought it brand new and loved it for 150k miles. I’m also a former 911 owner, and owned the last gen to have hydraulic steering. I can tell you that the weight balance of the Emira (and Evora) is closer to a 911 than to a Boxster/Cayman. That said, the difference between an AWD front axel vs a lightly loaded and un-powered front axel is fairly large. The STi would wriggle not only from the loading of the tires and shifting of weight from front to rear, but mostly from the power being fed through to the front wheels (and left to right- 3 differentials). The 911, by comparison, was unburdened by power delivery to the front wheels, and the weight of a front engine, so the steering felt so much more delicate. I’d imagine you’ll love the feeling!

I just sold my 2019 STI limited. It always felt squirley under power in the turns. Just got unsettled a bit and the steering felt numb a tad. Quite unlike anything I have driven before. I had an Audi S4 and a MazdaSpeed 3 and both felt great. I am really looking forward to my Emira. I’ll report back…in 2 friggen years. 😂

Last edited:
I have driven the Evora and own a Porsche 911S (997, last hydraulic steering with the 911) and a WRX STi. I would say that the Lotus Evora was closer to a 997 feel, weight and turn ratio than the Subi.

All this information is helping us Newbies configure our cars!

Back