• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Henry Catchpole - Carfection review

Seriously, you are over-thinking and over-analysing all of this. Take a break from the forums, stop fuelling the speculation and wait for a test drive.

I mean this with the greatest of respect and support, not telling you to go away!
I know. But is it over analysis, as we have the reviews out now. So it's not all conjecture.

I'm just disappointed is all after a year of waiting and don't understand how either Lotus have got it wrong, or my all time favourite half a dozen motoring hacks have.

I dont want to lower the tone for everyone else who is happy having a good looking girl (or boy) that can't kiss 😘, so will reign it in for the benefit of the forum 👋
PS I'm not really that upset, I just like using emojis too much 🙃 😋

Last edited:
They’re not a compromise, not the two primary options. Touring is the setup for the vast majority of road usage. Sports is track focused.

The compromise option is Goodyears on Sports.
It depends where you are driving, so a passive set up is a compromise if it cannot adapt to multiple surfaces.
Will leave it there though

I dont want to lower the tone for everyone else who is happy having a good looking girl (or boy) that can't kiss 😘, so will reign it in for the benefit of the forum 👋
Please do, for your own benefit too. Way too much negativity, way too much analysis of every minute detail of the car. Just chill and wait for a test drive. My bet is still that you'll have a Harryesque grin rather than a Jethro gurn at the end of it :)

It depends where you are driving, so a passive set up is a compromise if it cannot adapt to multiple surfaces.
Will leave it there though
Touring will be a fantastic setup for the vast majority of public highways you drive on. It can adapt to multiple surfaces, that's exactly what it's designed to do.

History has taught me not to rely on reviews too much, so will wait till I've experienced the car for myself.
In any case, a 9/10 is still a good result no?
#forthepatient
I have driven both the sport and touring versions at the Lotus Academy, coming from a Lotus Exige V6 as a reference, both versions I thought were great; on track pushing hard not surprisingly the sport setup felt better, on the road I don’t think the difference would be that noticeable.. The car for me was very good the front end felt more pointy with the sport and Cup 2 package. Have a test drive, I left the Lotus Academy on Saturday with a big smile the Emira did not disappoint.

I will not enter in this forum for months honestly … getting very tired, even more than from lotus PR
Thanks for saying this. Honestly, I should do the same. Kind of turning into an addiction...

Maybe I'll turn off email notifications and only allow myself X amount of forum time every night.

I thought his review, whilst beautifully shot as usual, was another disappointment to me.

Again, we heard a bit of this is good, and this is great, and this is okay-ish BUT we didn;t get the "I LOVE this thing', the WOWs, the beeped out expletives, the feeling that they were actually really enjoying themselves.

To me, the connection is the main draw. I am seeing not the car 'connect' with the majority of reviewers.

This worries me.

Yes, of course, I will like it, or love it even but I am genuinely now concerned that it won't hit that spot and, all along, I was really meant for a nutter Exige version. We will see.

I thought his review, whilst beautifully shot as usual, was another disappointment to me.

Again, we heard a bit of this is good, and this is great, and this is okay-ish BUT we didn;t get the "I LOVE this thing', the WOWs, the beeped out expletives, the feeling that they were actually really enjoying themselves.

To me, the connection is the main draw. I am seeing not the car 'connect' with the majority of reviewers.

This worries me.

Yes, of course, I will like it, or love it even but I am genuinely now concerned that it won't hit that spot and, all along, I was really meant for a nutter Exige version. We will see.
The one thing that gives me hope is that the chassis development team have a long-term connection and know how............plus they are stubborn.

I have driven both the sport and touring versions at the Lotus Academy, coming from a Lotus Exige V6 as a reference, both versions I thought were great; on track pushing hard not surprisingly the sport setup felt better, on the road I don’t think the difference would be that noticeable.. The car for me was very good the front end felt more pointy with the sport and Cup 2 package. Have a test drive, I left the Lotus Academy on Saturday with a big smile the Emira did not disappoint.
Could you compare the exige v6 vs Emira w/ sport ?

I only want the Spyder and its pretty hard to miss 😋🕷
You'll probably want an exhaust upgrade though if aural pleasure is your thing. My friends 718 GT4 is a weapon in most areas except the sound, which don't get me wrong isn't bad but it is by no means as great as his 991.1 Carrera S.
He is still waiting on the Spyder he ordered 2 years ago....

Attachments

• IMG_6156.jpg
    IMG_6156.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6157.jpg
    IMG_6157.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 38
Sorry if this was already covered, but do we know what happened to the original Catchpole/Shadow Grey/Monaco roadtrip review? Was this just for the EVO review (w/no video)?

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 16-51-29 Dean Smith (@deanphoto) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Then Lotus gave him a Hethel Yellow Emira for the Carfection/Scotland review video? 🤔

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 16-52-43 Lotus Emira An Epic Roadtrip Film Catchpole on Carfection - ...png

I think what we need to remember is that some people will like the Emira some won’t. Is Chris Harris, Harry and Shmees opinions more highly rated then Jethro and Henry.
The car won’t be 100% for everyone, like the Z4 Audi TT RS but some people do like them. Porsches are great according to reviewers but I personally can take them or leave them. I’d prefer a 4/5 new Vantage to a Porsche at 5/5.

Wow, what a beautiful film!
It won't date, and I think the Emira is honoured by it. The car is shown epically, on a deeply respectful road trip through the landscape it was built for. The nuances of the driving experience are described eloquently and back up everything that we know and love about the car.

thank you Mr. Catchpole.

Sorry if this was already covered, but do we know what happened to the original Catchpole/Shadow Grey/Monaco roadtrip review? Was this just for the EVO review (w/no video)?

It’s in the print magazine - June edition of EVO.

I still don't understand this, as it feels what they have are 2 set ups that are both compromised for the majority.
Hate to even mention Porsche but PASM and 20 inch wheels was a revelation. Best handling car I've ever driven on the Peak District roads where i live and equally at home on track
My mate took the pasm off his GT3 and fitted Ohlins - transformed it /made it better still 🤷‍♂️

My mate took the pasm off his GT3 and fitted Ohlins - transformed it /made it better still 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I never found a use for the “even stiffer” button in mine. I would have preferred a “little bit softer” button instead

Yeah I never found a use for the “even stiffer” button in mine. I would have preferred a “little bit softer” button instead
I think thats what the Ohlins set up gave him. The stock set up tried to kill him on the road. A bit too extreme maybe. I cant expand further as I never drove it. Lovely thing though