Feeding cable from USB socket to trinket tray

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
With the 3d print as a mold, I wonder about perhaps doing this instead of alcantara.

What a great video and an eye opener on how carbon fibre parts can be made. I’d love to try this but not sure what I’d make for the Emira. Maybe I could find some parts on my boat that would look great in carbon. 👍🏻

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I finally have the car so was able to test fit.

I modified @frazzer ‘s design a bit. Moved the camera cutout to the back, rerouted the cable channel and removed the side holders.

(Thank you for the idea my friend! If you have the original 3mf file and are willing to share it would help me out a lot. I had to hack my way into converting the stl to mesh and it’s not pretty and very hard to work on 😅)

I need to make the sides taller though because, at least in my car, when I remove the stock rubber tray the alcantara stops short of the base and you can see glue. Most people won’t notice but it bothers me lol.

I also installed the USB-PD power source that @Porter suggested because the factory usb port doesn’t provide enough wattage to effectively charge the phone. I used the spare 12v power connector from this thread

Some pictures:
IMG_2057.jpeg

IMG_2096.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpeg

IMG_2845.jpeg

IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_3074.jpeg

IMG_3077.jpeg

Last edited:

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I modified @frazzer ‘s design a bit. Moved the camera cutout to the back, rerouted the cable channel and removed the side holders.

(Thank you for the idea my friend! If you have the original 3mf file and are willing to share it would help me out a lot. I had to hack my way into converting the stl to mesh and it’s not pretty and very hard to work on 😅)

I need to make the sides taller though because, at least in my car, when I remove the stock rubber tray the alcantara stops short of the base and you can see glue. Most people won’t notice but it bothers me lol.

I also installed the USB-PD power source that @Porter suggested because the factory usb port doesn’t provide enough wattage to effectively charge the phone. I used the spare 12v power connector from this thread

Some pictures:

View attachment 38917
View attachment 38918
View attachment 38919
View attachment 38920
View attachment 38927
View attachment 38921
Could you tell us (like we're idiots) how you installed the power source?

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It’s really easy, take a look at that thread I linked.

There is a spare 12v connector behind the glovebox. All you gotta do is buy the pigtail connector also listed on that thread and extend the wires to the footwell. Then you would just use that to power the usb charger.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It’s really easy, take a look at that thread I linked.

There is a spare 12v connector behind the glovebox. All you gotta do is buy the pigtail connector also listed on that thread and extend the wires to the footwell. Then you would just use that to power the usb charger.
What did you attach the power with? Command strips, rivets?

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That looks awesome!! And I'm glad that power supply worked well for you! Any weirdness with it? Or does it "just work"?

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That looks awesome!! And I'm glad that power supply worked well for you! Any weirdness with it? Or does it "just work"?
It just works. The MagSafe charger is rated for “up to 15W” and I’m getting around 13. So not lighting fast but better than you’d get from most automotive Qi chargers.

@silent cilantro did you change what the cable goes to? Accessory fuse?
I didn’t. The connector branches off of the harness right before the glovebox connector. I just added the pigtail and extended the wires down to the charger.

I didn’t add any fuses but was considering it. I assume it already is fused since it’s a factory connection though.

jubbalandcars

Reaction score

Some pictures:
View attachment 38929
View attachment 38917
View attachment 38918
View attachment 38919
View attachment 38920
View attachment 38927
View attachment 38921
This is awesome. I'm going to run a USB-C extension cable from the center console/arm rest, route it down, and connect the Magsafe charger to that.

Can you share the file for the tray you 3d printed? I like the modifications you made and all I would need is to raise the edges and then it would be perfect. Or if you're going to sell fully printed and alcantara-wrapped trays I'd be happy to buy one =D

Rapture

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Some pictures:
View attachment 38929
View attachment 38917
View attachment 38918
View attachment 38919
View attachment 38920
View attachment 38927
View attachment 38921
Would you have any interest in putting together a kit for this that we could purchase? I'd buy it.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I can upload the STL for you guys to print but would have to do more research regarding a complete kit.

Between the alcantara, the wireless charger, the usb power supply and the connector/cables it would not be cheap.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Alright, if people really are interested in purchasing a turn-key kit I can make it happen for $300 + shipping.

You will get:
  • 3D printed tray upholstered in genuine Alcantara (matches OEM).
  • Authentic Apple MagSafe Charger.
  • Wiring harness with plug-and-play connectors (uses factory harness behind glovebox)
  • Dual port (1x USB-C, 1x USB-A) power supply.​
  • Installation instructions.​
I would need a minimum of 10 people and a 50% deposit. Lead time would be 6-8 weeks.

PM me if you are interested. I won't take deposits or start the clock until I fill all 10 spots.

Last edited:

Rapture

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Alright, if people really are interested in purchasing a turn-key kit I can make it happen for $300 + shipping.

You will get:
  • 3D printed tray upholstered in genuine Alcantara (matches OEM).
  • Authentic Apple MagSafe Charger.
  • Wiring harness with plug-and-play connectors (uses factory harness behind glovebox)
  • Dual port (1x USB-C, 1x USB-A) power supply.​
  • Installation instructions.​
I would need a minimum of 10 people and a 50% deposit. Lead time would be 6-8 weeks.

PM me if you are interested. I won't take deposits or start the clock until I fill all 10 spots.
HI, I sent you a PM. I think you would get a significant response if you created a dedicated new thread with this offer. It will receive much more exposure.

Thanks for offering to do this.