Custom MagSafe Wireless Charger

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A few people have been asking if I would make wireless charging kits available for purchase. I figured I'd start a thread to gauge interest.

It consists of a 3D printed tray (in PETG) upholstered in Alcantara with a built-in MagSafe Charger that replaces the OEM rubber mat in the center console. It also uses a standalone USB power supply that provides enough power to effectively charge the phone (the usb-c port under the center console does not which causes the phone to charge very slowly). Power is fed via an unused OEM 12v power source behind the glovebox, no splicing needed.

Now, it is not inexpensive so I understand this is not everyone. Price would be $300 + shipping. I would need a minimum of 10 people and a 50% deposit. Lead time would be 6-8 weeks (realistically probably less but I rather underpromise and overdeliver)

You will get:
  • 3D printed tray upholstered in genuine Alcantara (matches OEM. Pictures below are of V1.0, I need to make a couple of changes for better fitment)
  • Authentic Apple MagSafe Charger.
  • Wiring harness with plug-and-play connectors (uses factory harness behind glovebox)
  • Dual port (1x USB-C, 1x USB-A) power supply (may end up using something other than what's pictured. I would like it smaller in a custom housing)
  • Installation instructions.
Chime in if you are interested. I won't take deposits or start the clock until I fill all 10 spots.

img_2057-jpeg.38929

img_2845-jpeg.38919

img_2897-jpeg.38920

img_3077-jpeg.38921

1. @Rapture

More info/disclaimers:

- I tested this on an iPhone 14, 14 pro and 15 pro.

- Just as with any other MagSafe charger, you need a MagSafe compatible case or no case for this to work properly.

Last edited:

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Where are you terminating the USB to on the last pic? I am opting to do an arm mount with a magsafe charger, which will work pretty easily with no modifications to the car. Will start another thread when I get the car and have it setup.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can you elaborate on what is involved in making the connection in the glove compartment? How complicated is it?
There is an unused connector behind the glovebox, in other markets it is usually used for electronic toll collection devices. It provides ground, 12v BAT and 12v ACC power. See this post for reference.

In order to get to the connector you have to remove the glovebox. It is pretty simple to do, just some trim and 6 screws. I will provide the necessary harness for people connect the usb power supply directly to this connector so no splicing or tapping needed.

Where are you terminating the USB to on the last pic? I am opting to do an arm mount with a magsafe charger, which will work pretty easily with no modifications to the car. Will start another thread when I get the car and have it setup.

The white USB cable is the MagSafe charger. The other cable leads to the connector behind the glovebox I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm interested in getting on your list, but I think there may be a physical fitment limitation for those without iPhones.

Could you make the "notch" for the camera bump wider? I have a Pixel 8 and the bar goes full width. Seems like with more clearance across, you could support many different phone types with the same design, and rely on the Magsafe to locate the phone firmly.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm interested in getting on your list, but I think there may be a physical fitment limitation for those without iPhones.

Could you make the "notch" for the camera bump wider? I have a Pixel 8 and the bar goes full width. Seems like with more clearance across, you could support many different phone types with the same design, and rely on the Magsafe to locate the phone firmly.

Like this?

IMG_3340.jpeg

If so, yeah I can totally do that for you. I like the more fitted notch because it (in combination with the magnet) helps the phone stay in place a little better.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Like this?

View attachment 40189

If so, yeah I can totally do that for you. I like the more fitted notch because it (in combination with the magnet) helps the phone stay in place a little better.
Yes! Exactly. Just needs to be the width of the phone. In my case, 2.79 in (71 mm).

scarzie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I've got an S24 ultra, any idea if the camera slot is a similar size to the iPhones?

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I will verify compatibility with mini and max models, pretty sure it will work.

Not sure about the S24 Ultra though. That may require some modification because of its vertical camera stack.

Last edited:

Subw00er

Reaction score
@silent cilantro Did you check your charging well on various phones? I just put a 3A dc-dc on and it still not charging my iphone SE. It shows the lightning bolt but didn't move a percent after 30 minutes. I am assuming its the adapter I'm using, the movement of the car, or the distance from the charger to the phone.. not sure whats up.