Does anyone know the model number of this connector?

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Very cool guys and gals. So now that you have accessory power, what are you all planning to plug in to this? I can't wait to get mine in the next month or two!

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I'm probably using mine for a dash cam if I can't find a small low profile USB cable.

OP
forest

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As already discovered, I believe the location of this connector exists at the back left of the glove box.
This is for right-hand drive cars.
1710122471011.png
1710122485783.jpeg

Subw00er

Reaction score
I ordered the parts off of Digikey.. I'll be the guinea pig. Dont forget to order the pins too (at bottom it lists them for different AWG wire). I bought both versions of the pins as the blades looked to be different widths.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I ordered the parts off of Digikey.. I'll be the guinea pig. Dont forget to order the pins too (at bottom it lists them for different AWG wire). I bought both versions of the pins as the blades looked to be different widths.
Sounds good, I just ordered from AliExpress. I plan to use this for my radar system.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I ordered from AliExpress as well. Works as expected, used it to power a high wattage USB power source for a wireless charger.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I assume the red battery wire is always powered so it can be used for dash cam parking mode? This would eliminate the need for fuse tapping and be a much cleaner install if so! It's a shame the rearview mirror USB isn't powered when the car is off, missed opportunity there.

Rapture

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We have received the product and would like to report the results.

The connector model number 174928-2 matched.
The product website seemed to offer a choice of pre-assembled ones, but due to the actual role and color difference, I purchased the unassembled ones and assembled them.
The 3-pin connector seemed to be one for the battery, one for accessory power, and one for ground (GND).
It is smarter than taking it from the fuse box and I am personally happy with it.

Thank you Porter for telling me about the connectors!
View attachment 34187
View attachment 34188
Would you have an interest in making these and selling them? I would purchase one. I think it would be great if someone would make a kit for retrofitting wireless charging into the car. I know there is another thread on this, but your part would make it more feasible.

Subw00er

Reaction score
Would you have an interest in making these and selling them? I would purchase one. I think it would be great if someone would make a kit for retrofitting wireless charging into the car. I know there is another thread on this, but your part would make it more feasible.
I could do it professionally, but I'd have to charge like $100 for the bolt in adapter and connector to make it worthwhile. With the 3d print and Apple wireless adapter, a turn key setup, it would be more like $325.

Rapture

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I could do it professionally, but I'd have to charge like $100 for the bolt in adapter and connector to make it worthwhile. With the 3d print and Apple wireless adapter, a turn key setup, it would be more like $325.
I would be up for that. I think it’s a worthwhile improvement.

OP
forest

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We are considering selling this as a finished product in Japan.
It would probably be about US$10-20 with shipping costs.
However, I have no experience in international payments or shipping.
Also, I will not be able to produce such a large quantity.
IMG_3588.jpg

Subw00er

Reaction score
I just installed my wireless charger. Works great!!! I'm backing away from making them here as I didnt see @silent cilantro had the same idea, and he has seniority here. :) I'm still going to share some pics.

For power, I just used a usb-c to usb-a adapter and the plug below.

[edit, stay tuned.. it didn't appear to charge from the plug below. I will try the tap behind the glove box now - its likely a current issue because when I put my phone down it does ding and show its charging (lightning bolt over the battery icon), but the level didn't change after 25 minutes..] I'm hoping that its not a range issue from the phone to mag safe charger! I have a 2mm offset on the model, and a phone case that's 2mm, so perhaps 4mm is too far. Stay tuned, I'll report back. Its likely a current issue - I used a usbA-C adapter for the charger, and the usbA current spec is less than a usbC as intended. Thats got to be it..]

Attachments

• Charge (5).JPG
    Charge (5).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Charge (4).JPG
    Charge (4).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Charge (3).JPG
    Charge (3).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Charge (2).JPG
    Charge (2).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Charge (1).JPG
    Charge (1).JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
For those of you who are interested but don’t have a 3-D printer, the prices have come down substantially. You can get a decent one for only 200 bucks. I absolutely love mine. Creality Ender. I use it for all sorts of mini projects around the house. I’d be happy to advise on a model/software recommendation if interested.

IMG_6261.jpeg

Rapture

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For those of you who are interested but don’t have a 3-D printer, the prices have come down substantially. You can get a decent one for only 200 bucks. I absolutely love mine. Creality Ender. I use it for all sorts of mini projects around the house. I’d be happy to advise on a model/software recommendation if interested.

View attachment 40402
I'd be interested in a recommendation.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Fully supportive of @silent cilantro effort to sell these (pls see his thread), but I’d already started on my own implementation for myself. Not planning on selling these…

My submission. But I don’t have a car to test it on. I’ve not used my 3-D printer in a while, but projects like this remind me how fun it is, and it’s something I do with my kids.

The original design was from another forum member on thingiverse, so thanks to them, I just edited for my phone/wife.

IMG_6371.jpeg

IMG_6370.jpeg

Subw00er

Reaction score
Fully supportive of @silent cilantro effort to sell these (pls see his thread), but I’d already started on my own implementation for myself. Not planning on selling these…

My submission. But I don’t have a car to test it on. I’ve not used my 3-D printer in a while, but projects like this remind me how fun it is, and it’s something I do with my kids.

The original design was from another forum member on thingiverse, so thanks to them, I just edited for my phone/wife.

View attachment 40818

View attachment 40819
Which material did you use? Looks like you didn't have to cut it to form into the corners..