Feeding cable from USB socket to trinket tray

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This car needs a QI charger like the C8s that's built into the waterfall. Bizarre that companies aren't making this kind of tech standard or at least engineering for a possible aftermarket part.
I have a C8 on order and the interior and tech is like night and day between the C8 and the Emira.

I actually prefer the Emira exterior more than the C8 but the Emira is lacking in so many ways considering it’s a $100K CAD car.

I’m also disappointed with the QC on the Emira. Too many electronic gremlins. GM is not perfect but they do a good job of engineering a car.

Even still I’m still looking forward to my Emira as well. I just won’t be able to charge my iPhone as easily.

Maybe Lotus doesn’t want you to take your phone with you on your Lotus drives!

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
@Captain.Kirk my buddy has a C8 and it's pretty excellent on the inside. The outside on the other hand is just too brutal for me.
I agree that the exterior of C8 is not as refined as the Emira. Lotus does do excellent design work. I do also long for the manual so Lotus wins there too.

Crap, why am I getting a C8!

Oh, because I want a new ride for the summer and GM can actually tell me what week it’s being built and when it will arrive at the dealership. I can also tract it’s process online as well it’s location via GPS. Big wins for GM and the C8!

Luckily I’ll be driving on the inside of the C8. 😁

Last edited:

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
CAEAD808-C0A6-47BC-A799-36892C9E1900.jpeg

3D printed Alcantara wrapped tray for iPhone 14. , Just installed it, fit is perfect. Will post pics later when there’s daylight.

Designed my own in the end - I wanted a lip at the front and some side support for when I’m pulling some Gs in the corners :D

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
261FFB40-D1F1-4573-80A8-256FA826930B.jpeg

64CD058F-49A9-45B3-A927-3181436D9272.jpeg

136CA7DF-D61A-48A0-8DDF-9D8478C749B8.jpeg

Printed in PLA+, I wouldn’t use straight PLA as it’ll deform as car gets hot in the sun. ABS would be better.

Wrapped in genuine Alcantara which is surprisingly expensive even for a small cut. I used double sided carpet tape which works well enough.

Fits my iPhone 14 with a slim case perfectly. A slightly thicker case should be fine too.

DM me with your email if you’d like the stl, it’s not possible to post it here as an attachment.

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Does this work by completely replacing the original tray? I'm intending to do something similar but as a non iPhone user, with a generic slimline Qi charger.

Has anyone thought about the advantages of making one of these out of TPU instead of a more rigid plastic like PLA?

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Does this work by completely replacing the original tray? I'm intending to do something similar but as a non iPhone user, with a generic slimline Qi charger.

Has anyone thought about the advantages of making one of these out of TPU instead of a more rigid plastic like PLA?
it does completely replace the tray. I bought a reel of TPU to try this, but in the end was happy with the result with PLA+ and Alcantara.

I might still print the TPU version, the advantage of TPU is you can have higher sides like the OEM part which you then need to fold in to be able to push it past the buttons into the space. With a hard material you have to keep it shallow otherwise it won't get past the buttons.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
pETG is more heat resistant than PLA
Right, but a little messy and strings a lot if settings aren't perfect. Still if I had a reel of pETG to hand i would've preferred to use it for sure.

Gizmo750

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Could I simply plug an Apple Magsafe charger (using a USBC to USBA adaptor) into the USB outlet under the gear lever? And if not then would anyone like to make a tray replacement for me to accommodate my case too (I use a leather folio case)? Happy to pay for it obviously.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Why the locating bumpers/sides on these 3D printed trays? My Magsafe setup has pretty strong magnets, enough to keep the phone attached to a free floating mount in my car, and it doesn't move around. The mount I use is from Spigen.

Jarrad

Reaction score
I don't feel the voltage/current is good enough to charge wirelessly with a wireless pad connected to the USB under the console. Way too slow. Happy to be corrected if anyone has found a decent wireless charging pad or solution.

Jarrad

Reaction score
I get reasonable wireless charging speed on my Pixel 7. I believe it does 20W max on the Pixel stand, and 15W with a Qi EPP charging mat.

That's not far off an ideal wired (USB-C PD) rapid charge, which on my device is something like 21W and gets it from 0% to 50% in 30min.

I use a Qi based MagSafe mount in my other car and it does a perfectly decent job of charging the phone at the same time I use it to navigate, and it works fine (adds charge) even with nav running, music streaming, and the screen on.
Pretty sure you won't get enough power from the USB socket but I would love to be wrong if you know better 👍🏼

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't feel the voltage/current is good enough to charge wirelessly with a wireless pad connected to the USB under the console. Way too slow. Happy to be corrected if anyone has found a decent wireless charging pad or solution.
Agreed. Technically you should have 12 volts for wireless charging. And all wireless chargers are not created equally.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Pretty sure you won't get enough power from the USB socket but I would love to be wrong if you know better 👍🏼
Not if you are using 5V USB-A, no.

That's why I use USB-C PD at 12V, 15V or 20V.

The Emira usb plug in that underneath location needs to be swapped, or the supply end of the USB-C cable routed elsewhere.

• Wow
Reactions: ino