Feeding cable from USB socket to trinket tray

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
FYI to wire in a USB-C PD power source is relatively simple. This would be a very good option, and appropriately rugged for an automotive application.

Coolgear Chargeit! Mini 75W Dual Port USB-A & USB-C PD Charger w/PPS & QC4.0 Support https://a.co/d/i3J0oUN

71uOEVc7a-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Takes variable DC input from 12V-24V which more than covers the 12V-14.5V range you're likely to see in a car.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
View attachment 26916
View attachment 26920
View attachment 26915
Printed in PLA+, I wouldn’t use straight PLA as it’ll deform as car gets hot in the sun. ABS would be better.

Wrapped in genuine Alcantara which is surprisingly expensive even for a small cut. I used double sided carpet tape which works well enough.

Fits my iPhone 14 with a slim case perfectly. A slightly thicker case should be fine too.

DM me with your email if you’d like the stl, it’s not possible to post it here as an attachment.
Would you be able to modify this for different phones? I'm happy to help reimburse the effort.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes happy to share it, will post it tomorrow. But note it’s designed around my thin phone case and 56mm dia charger.
Finally getting around printing this now that my car is this side of the pond.

Just waiting on some Alcantara to wrap it. Thanks for sharing the file @frazzer !

25BB23F4-C2E7-47B2-AB8B-CADC960A52D5.jpeg

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Finally getting around printing this now that my car is this side of the pond.

Just waiting on some Alcantara to wrap it. Thanks for sharing the file @frazzer !

View attachment 35260
You're very welcome. Use a strong glue to wrap the Alcantara - worth doing a little test on some scrap first to see what works best. I used carpet tape which is not doing a great job to be honest, it's lifting and need to get around to redo it.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks, yeah I plan on using 3M headliner adhesive.

Would you by any chance be able to send me the original CAD file?

I’m not great with 3D modeling but I wanna see if I can move things around a bit. Switch the camera opening to the back of the piece instead of the front so the phone goes in top first. This would requiere rerouting of the cable groove too.

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I’m not great with 3D modeling but I wanna see if I can move things around a bit. Switch the camera opening to the back of the piece instead of the front so the phone goes in top first. This would requiere rerouting of the cable groove too.
DM'ed you

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Why would the cable need to be tried re-routed? Just to shift the mag location closer to the forward lip?

Anyway, nice work on the phone tray modification. I'm hoping to modify mine for a pixel 8 Pro top-in-first as well. I have alcantara to wrap it with. Just waiting on EJUS Racing to make my custom case so I can get measurements made.
1000016348.jpg

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
FYI to wire in a USB-C PD power source is relatively simple. This would be a very good option, and appropriately rugged for an automotive application.

Coolgear Chargeit! Mini 75W Dual Port USB-A & USB-C PD Charger w/PPS & QC4.0 Support https://a.co/d/i3J0oUN

View attachment 29925

Takes variable DC input from 12V-24V which more than covers the 12V-14.5V range you're likely to see in a car.
Has anyone installed something like this yet?

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Why would the cable need to be tried re-routed? Just to shift the mag location closer to the forward lip?

I don’t think that would work. I want to move the camera cutout from the bottom left (red) to top right (green), but there is a groove (blue) to route the cable in that location. That would have to be relocated.

IMG_1776.jpeg

Last edited:

charlotte49ers

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
That's good news. I already wondered how I will get a cable up there from the USB port below. Is the rubber mat also removable? I could maybe design a 3D printable part with integrated Magsafe/Wireless charging for this tray.
im interested if ya can pull this off with the iphone charger. id be interested for sure

charlotte49ers

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Then it will be quite easy to draw a 3D model. Just some test prints for final fitting required. When I will finally have my car (probably 1st of March :) ), I will try my best and share the file. You just need somebody with a 3D printer then. But of course I could print some and try to get a nice finish on them, If anybody wants one.
i want one!!!

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Can someone verify if the key fob is magnetic? I'm interested in modifying this tray to hold the key as well. Put the phone off center abs add a little indentation for the key fob with a neodymium magnet under it.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can someone verify if the key fob is magnetic? I'm interested in modifying this tray to hold the key as well. Put the phone off center abs add a little indentation for the key fob with a neodymium magnet under it.
Only a small area on the yellow Lotus badge side responds to a magnet, and it's really weak. You will probably be better off with a deep indentation than a magnet.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Did anyone manage to adapt the STL file for an iPhone 14 Pro max? Those are a bit larger. If not, I’ll have to do it. Many thanks to the original designer!! @frazzer

JWJ9000

Reaction score
If you pm me I can send you the fusion 360 file for you to edit. I’ve upgraded to a 14 Pro ( not max) even with the protruding camera it still works well

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you pm me I can send you the fusion 360 file for you to edit. I’ve upgraded to a 14 Pro ( not max) even with the protruding camera it still works well
Will do, thanks