Feeding cable from USB socket to trinket tray

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve also found “A New Thing”.

There’s a secret hole in the phone tray to feed your usb cable down to the socket.

C33DAEF1-BE7E-4626-86C4-837BA5651670.jpeg

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's good news. I already wondered how I will get a cable up there from the USB port below. Is the rubber mat also removable? I could maybe design a 3D printable part with integrated Magsafe/Wireless charging for this tray.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's good news. I already wondered how I will get a cable up there from the USB port below. Is the rubber mat also removable? I could maybe design a 3D printable part with integrated Magsafe/Wireless charging for this tray.
Rubber mat is easily removable. Just pops out.

I’d buy one of those MagSafe trays 🙋🏽‍♂️

Can’t understand why manufacturers will add wireless CarPlay but no wireless charging. What’s the point of it if I have to plug in anyway.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Can’t understand why manufacturers will add wireless CarPlay but no wireless charging. What’s the point of it if I have to plug in anyway.
Then it will be quite easy to draw a 3D model. Just some test prints for final fitting required. When I will finally have my car (probably 1st of March :) ), I will try my best and share the file. You just need somebody with a 3D printer then. But of course I could print some and try to get a nice finish on them, If anybody wants one.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Wirelsss carplay is definitely worthwhile even without charging. It means you can just leave the phone in your pocket for all but very long drives. The extra friction of having to plug in means I almost never use carplay on my truck, just bluetooth audio pairing.

OP
KJD

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You need to take the mat out to feed the cable through easily.
There’s a little slot in the rubber with a larger hole through the console itself.
It folds up and pulls out no problem.

Max

Reaction score

I think wireless charging, as the tech stands now, is just too slow.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Agreed for most Qi chargers out there but 15W out of MagSafe is not horrible.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Another problem is that the freaking cameras on the iPhone 14 Pro are so big that it won't load on a Qi pad, because the phone can't lay flat. If we want to fit a MagSafe, it has to be a bit proud of the surface and can't be mounted flush.

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think wireless charging, as the tech stands now, is just too slow.
I get reasonable wireless charging speed on my Pixel 7. I believe it does 20W max on the Pixel stand, and 15W with a Qi EPP charging mat.

That's not far off an ideal wired (USB-C PD) rapid charge, which on my device is something like 21W and gets it from 0% to 50% in 30min.

I use a Qi based MagSafe mount in my other car and it does a perfectly decent job of charging the phone at the same time I use it to navigate, and it works fine (adds charge) even with nav running, music streaming, and the screen on.

Last edited:

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Another problem is that the freaking cameras on the iPhone 14 Pro are so big that it won't load on a Qi pad, because the phone can't lay flat. If we want to fit a MagSafe, it has to be a bit proud of the surface and can't be mounted flush.
My iPhone 14 pro charges fine on a flat hard plastic Qi charger that's bigger than the back of the phone?

Although if the Emira "slot" is deep enough then something like this could work (maybe with a bit of double-sided velcro)?

Sid

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I use one of these:
1675679564015.png

Fits nicely onto rubber matt with Phone on top and doesn't move around, charges OK, proably not the fastest through the USB underneath but enought to charge while using Waze Sat Nav and music through phone.

Last edited:

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My iPhone 14 pro charges fine on a flat hard plastic Qi charger that's bigger than the back of the phone?

Although if the Emira "slot" is deep enough then something like this could work (maybe with a bit of double-sided velcro)?

Well mine doesn't 😅 Maybe it's due to my case. However of course the easiest way would be to glue a MagSafe charger to the standard rubber mat. For me personally, I would prefer MagSafe either way because it prevents the phone from sliding. In my Tesla the phones stop charging after every corner because the are sliding from the QI pad.

duff

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well mine doesn't 😅 Maybe it's due to my case. However of course the easiest way would be to glue a MagSafe charger to the standard rubber mat. For me personally, I would prefer MagSafe either way because it prevents the phone from sliding. In my Tesla the phones stop charging after every corner because the are sliding from the QI pad.
I tried sitting a magnetic wireless charger on the mat assuming the magnets would hold the phone. However, while the charger gripped the mat ok the phone slid off as soon as driving become even vaguely energetically.
If I had kept the car I might have looked at options to replace the mat with a charging one or somehow embedding the charger in the mat so that phone would sit across the charger and the mat rather than proud of the mat on the charger.
I ended up using the plug in the arm rest to charge on longer journeys as it didn’t fit in the cubby with the charger lead attached.

Last edited:

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Another thing Lotus didn't think through... the USB socket beneath is power only.
You won't be able to use it for Android Auto via USB. Yes, wireless exists, but I found it to be more quirky than having a solid connection.

Won't burn the world down, but I just can't comprehend why. It's even closer to the display and possibly the media controller :ROFLMAO:

JWJ9000

Reaction score
Or use a MagSafe case

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Or use a MagSafe case
I have a MagSafe Case and MagSafe also works of course, but not if the connector is sunk flat to a tabletop for example. All because of the camera bump. The MagSafe hast to be proud of the surface. Gluing it to the rubber pad with double sided tape would work as an easy fix. I‘ll try to construct a 3d printable pad with a proud MagSafe, but nicer cable management.

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I‘ll try to construct a 3d printable pad with a proud MagSafe, but nicer cable management.
If you do this, would you be open to sharing the model/stl file for others to print? I'll probably try to do something similar but my car isn't arriving for another month or two

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts