Factory tour - 16 Aug 2023

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_6219.JPG
I did the Hethel factory tour this morning. It's genuinely terrific, and I highly recommend it. For a full day, combine it with the driving academy in the afternoon or with the Heritage Collection tour.

You have to visit Hethel to fully appreciate what a relatively small almost "family-style" business Lotus Cars remains (I'm deliberately putting Lotus Technology and the Chinese EVs in a different bucket). You can't help but feel a stronger connection to your Emira when you've watched the cars being assembled and talked to the team.

As others have commented, the enthusiasm and knowledge that Scott and Nick bring to the factory tour is extraordinary— they are great ambassadors for Lotus.

A couple of observations:

1. Production was targeting 40 cars today. Takt time has been increased back up to ~22 minutes (from 17) to reduce pressure on the team and ensure quality. However, they are running a night shift now, so overall production capacity remains on plan.
2. None of the new paint colours were in production yet. Apparently, Seneca is the highest volume colour, followed by Verdant and Magma.
3. I looked carefully at the steel rear subframes. While they look a bit "scrappy" in some places when compared to the precision of the aluminium fronts, I didn't see any evidence of rust whatsoever.
4. Today's shift looked like it was approximately 50/50 V6 vs i4. Many of the i4s were badged NYO for China.
6. The Emira GT4 was out on the track being thrashed. Wow. That thing sounds epic and goes like stink. It's amazing what Lotus wrings out of the Toyota V6.

Last edited:

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Assume no amber headlight corners then on the V6's?

rich64

Reaction score
View attachment 30306I did the Hethel factory tour this morning. It's genuinely terrific, and I highly recommend it. For a full day, combine it with the driving academy in the afternoon or with the Heritage Collection tour.

You have to visit Hethel to fully appreciate what a relatively small almost "family-style" business Lotus Cars remains (I'm deliberately putting Lotus Technology and the Chinese EVs in a different bucket). You can't help but feel a stronger connection to your Emira when you've watched the cars being assembled and talked to the team.

As others have commented, the enthusiasm and knowledge that Scott and Nick bring to the factory tour is extraordinary— they are great ambassadors for Lotus.

1. Production was targeting 40 cars today. Takt time has been reduced back down to 17 minutes to reduce pressure on the team and ensure quality. However, they are running a night shift now, so overall production capacity remains on plan.
2. None of the new paint colours were in production yet. Apparently, Seneca is the highest volume colour, followed by Verdant and Magma.
3. I looked carefully at the steel rear subframes. While they look a bit "scrappy" in some places when compared to the precision of the aluminium fronts, I didn't see any evidence of rust whatsoever.
4. Today's shift looked like it was approximately 50/50 V6 vs i4. Many of the i4s were badged NYO for China.
6. The GT4 was out on the track being thrashed. Wow. That thing sounds epic and goes like stink. It's amazing what Lotus wrings out of the Toyota V6.
Thanks for this, I will have to visit Hethel one day.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Also I'm surprised Magma makes the top 3, I had thought there were a lot more Hethel Yellow and Nimbus cars out there.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update @ Nick in Hethel! 😉

Any news on other base spec options or LAP offerings? I know they have been working on molds for carbon fiber parts and there was some whispers about an LAP/Akrapovic exhaust...

mforde

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
View attachment 30306I did the Hethel factory tour this morning. It's genuinely terrific, and I highly recommend it. For a full day, combine it with the driving academy in the afternoon or with the Heritage Collection tour.

1. Production was targeting 40 cars today. Takt time has been reduced back down to 17 minutes to reduce pressure on the team and ensure quality. However, they are running a night shift now, so overall production capacity remains on plan.
6. The GT4 was out on the track being thrashed. Wow. That thing sounds epic and goes like stink. It's amazing what Lotus wrings out of the Toyota V6.
Thank you for this. I have a tour scheduled for Oct, but in the afternoon. I didn't think about the driving academy. I am pretty pumped to go, but now even more so.

OP
Nick in Sydney

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Any news on other base spec options or LAP offerings? I know they have been working on molds for carbon fiber parts and there was some whispers about an LAP/Akrapovic exhaust...
Sorry, no news. My guess would be that they are still some months away from producing base cars. After all, they've still got to assemble the backlog of North American FE vehicles.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

1. Production was targeting 40 cars today. Takt time has been increased back up to ~22 minutes (from 17) to reduce pressure on the team and ensure quality. However, they are running a night shift now, so overall production capacity remains on plan.
6. The Emira GT4 was out on the track being thrashed. Wow. That thing sounds epic and goes like stink. It's amazing what Lotus wrings out of the Toyota V6.
Thanks for this! Always great to hear what's happening back at the mothership.

Out of curiosity, are they still not allowing any photography inside on the factory tour?

OP
Nick in Sydney

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks for this! Always great to hear what's happening back at the mothership.

Out of curiosity, are they still not allowing any photography inside on the factory tour?
No photos allowed.

BSC

Reaction score
thanks for the update. How many have they delivered to Australia? I’m still waiting for mine! 😂

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
thanks for the update. How many have they delivered to Australia? I’m still waiting for mine! 😂
Not sure exactly, I think the fourth batch of cars came this month. I would assume about 60-80 cars or so, but that's finger in the air.

Jack Stone

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Interesting that production on your visit was 50/50 V6/I4. I remember early after the launch Lotus explained that it had adopted the (controversial) square steering wheel shape as ultimately it expected most Emiras would be paddle shift (ie I4s). I wonder what the latest thinking is on ultimate production split.

China was of course originally only supposed to get the I4 - hence the NYO cars' 400bhp rating. It would be good to get some Hethel track time in one of those NYO I4s...

BarryH

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Beat me to it :) My Factory tour is in conjunction with the driving academy on the 31st of this month.
Will need to compare notes when back in Oz.

mrmoogee

Reaction score

Small world Nick, I was there too but guess we got split off at the beginning as I was with Neil most the time in CTL. - That’s the nose of my blue Elise in your pic :-D

Tour is great, I’d say the Classic Team Lotus is miles ahead as the experience to do…. Done factory, CTL and Emira track stuff so far. Next time on track with my own one day…?! (I do wish Mayfair would play more homage to the old cars and stories… I’m popping there this weekend so don’t expect much by what videos I’ve seen…)

Re Emira content… felt like 95% of Emiras there were NYO off to China… but compared to being there in November 22…. Lots more cars sat ready to go, so that reads to me that they are getting on top of it.

Speaking to Neil… the LAP is still going ahead and custom Emiras will be happening… no idea on date…

Interestingly as well… they just got planning permission for some more factory space… building what… and when… they didn’t say… but that was good to hear nonetheless

Gav

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interestingly as well… they just got planning permission for some more factory space… building what… and when… they didn’t say… but that was good to hear nonetheless

Gav

New factory, logistics and support buildings for the Type 135 Electric Sports Car I guess….. 😉

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thats what I was told by the tour guide on June8th of this year. Factory expansion for that car and future Hethel models.