Factory tour - 16 Aug 2023

BarryH

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mine too. See you there tomorrow
An absolutely worthwhile day! Given I had never driven on track previously, the first laps were somewhat nerve wracking, but after the tea break (and some amazingly instruction) it is amazing how quickly you get used to it (120+ MPH into a hair-pin bend - no problem! :)

The Team LOTUS tour was extremely interesting and frankly I did not realise how much F1 tech really did come from LOTUS over the years. The guide was amazingly knowledgeable and was able to answer an wide range of (in my case random) questions.

Doing the Factory tour (which while still quite active, was undergoing a shift change when we went through so might not have been fully indicative of the experience), does drive home the mechanical elegance of this car. The chassis is a work of art and the people (the ones we saw anyway) did look like it was a point of pride in what they were doing as much as a job.

If you are considering doing the LOTUS Driving academy, I can recommend it! While not cheap it is definitely worth it!

BTW. If you are looking at doing the LDA day, I can recommend the "Old Thorn Barn" B&B, this is small family hotel in a restored Barn and farm house , and literally just down the road from Potash lane (no more than 300m down the road so really convenient). This does not appear to come up in the standard Booking sites, though they do have their own web site - (oldthornbarn.co.uk) - I pretty much found it by accident.

Friendly owners and the included full cooked breakfast was "most excellent!". Not huge rooms, but nicely appointed and given the maze of A & B class roads in that area (and the road works), being that close made it extremely easy to not stress about being there on time (as a significant plus it was also about 1/2 the price of other local hotels - it is a B&B).

Given it is so close to LOTUS, the other benefit was being able to chat over breakfast to folk from various Professional Racing teams, and even some people from the LOTUS design studio itself (not saying that happens all the time, but certainly was a great start to the day :)

As was mentioned in another thread, The "Bird in the Hand" is the local pub (around 1km further down the road) and has rooms - but also a good restaurant . The other nearest Pub is "The Worlds End" which is slightly further away (2-3Km) and had HUGE meals.

Fil

Reaction score
An absolutely worthwhile day! Given I had never driven on track previously, the first laps were somewhat nerve wracking, but after the tea break (and some amazingly instruction) it is amazing how quickly you get used to it (120+ MPH into a hair-pin bend - no problem! :)

The Team LOTUS tour was extremely interesting and frankly I did not realise how much F1 tech really did come from LOTUS over the years. The guide was amazingly knowledgeable and was able to answer an wide range of (in my case random) questions.

Doing the Factory tour (which while still quite active, was undergoing a shift change when we went through so might not have been fully indicative of the experience), does drive home the mechanical elegance of this car. The chassis is a work of art and the people (the ones we saw anyway) did look like it was a point of pride in what they were doing as much as a job.

If you are considering doing the LOTUS Driving academy, I can recommend it! While not cheap it is definitely worth it!

BTW. If you are looking at doing the LDA day, I can recommend the "Old Thorn Barn" B&B, this is small family hotel in a restored Barn and farm house , and literally just down the road from Potash lane (no more than 300m down the road so really convenient). This does not appear to come up in the standard Booking sites, though they do have their own web site - (oldthornbarn.co.uk) - I pretty much found it by accident.

Friendly owners and the included full cooked breakfast was "most excellent!". Not huge rooms, but nicely appointed and given the maze of A & B class roads in that area (and the road works), being that close made it extremely easy to not stress about being there on time (as a significant plus it was also about 1/2 the price of other local hotels - it is a B&B).

Given it is so close to LOTUS, the other benefit was being able to chat over breakfast to folk from various Professional Racing teams, and even some people from the LOTUS design studio itself (not saying that happens all the time, but certainly was a great start to the day :)

As was mentioned in another thread, The "Bird in the Hand" is the local pub (around 1km further down the road) and has rooms - but also a good restaurant . The other nearest Pub is "The Worlds End" which is slightly further away (2-3Km) and had HUGE meals.
Fully agree with your experience Barry. It was absolutely brilliant. The whole day was well organised and very well executed.
We were lucky as the test track was lovely and dry so we could attack the circuit…. What a car the Emira is. My Emira was fitted with tour suspension. To be honest it was brilliant. The breaks were unbelievable and you could really throw the car around with fantastic grip in the corners carrying lots of speed. Just wish my talent was as good as the car. Absolutely a brilliant day from start to finish. I had Martin Donnelly as my instructor. Made my day.
I stayed at the Sunset House B&B (booking
.com) which was about 10 mile away from lotus. Lovely house and comfortable room. The small village has two pubs (recommended the Nags Head) also a decent chippy.
Everyone on the course appeared to have had a most enjoyable day.
Must do it again once I’ve saved up!

azlambo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Did you pepper them with questions about the U.S. certifications, if U. S. production will start before certifications are received, when U.S. production will start, when U.S. deliveries will start? Etc., Etc.?

If not, I sure will when I go on September 19th!

Fil

Reaction score
Did you pepper them with questions about the U.S. certifications, if U. S. production will start before certifications are received, when U.S. production will start, when U.S. deliveries will start? Etc., Etc.?

If not, I sure will when I go on September 19th!
Did ask where the cars are destined for but no real answers. They just said they all are customers cars but would not say where they were heading… sorry.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The tour guide I had no information/comment on USA production questions or if he did know he knew not to comment on it. They are careful what to say and what not to.
If they are producing the USA cars they will make a point to point it out. It may be best to ask for an official contact that can answer those questions.

MIGZ

Emira Fan
Reaction score
for the folks more experience in train travel

I would greatly appreciate some suggestion on train travel from London towards Hethel on Sunday Oct. 8th '

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
  • for the folks more experience in train travel

I would greatly appreciate some suggestion on train travel from London towards Hethel on Sunday Oct. 8th '

**There's a train strike on Friday October 6th which may mean some services are still disrupted by Sunday 8th**

But if all is well -

MIGZ

Emira Fan
Reaction score
**There's a train strike on Friday October 6th which may mean some services are still disrupted by Sunday 8th**

But if all is well -
from looking online it appears that they will be running buses, i may look at a flight from london to norwich '

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
from looking online it appears that they will be running buses, i may look at a flight from london to norwich '
Bizarrely you can get a flight from Amsterdam to Norwich but not London to Norwich….. If there are rail replacement buses that weekend for even part of the route it will probably be quicker to just take the National Express bus from London Victoria….. https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/destinations/norwich

azlambo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ok, guys! I did the Factory Tour on Sept. 19th! Here’s what information I came out with:

(Photos were not allowed inside the production areas…sorry)

1. I asked if the U.S. cars had started being manufactured yet.
They are very tight-lipped about divulging any info, but after pressing him pretty hard, it appeared that if they have, it had just started recently. The parking lot/holding area for completed Emiras had a couple of hundred Emiras parked in there. I did not see ANY Emiras with the amber strip along the outside of the headlights, designating a U.S. car. Nor did I see any “rear bumperettes”. There were quite a few cars made with left-hand drive, but do not know if they were bound for the U.S.. Some cars had front license plate brackets with a front license plate holder attached. Other cars did not…and no holes were pre-drilled in the front bumpers on those cars.

I asked about U.S. certification approvals. Again, he would act as if they don’t make him aware of such information, but again, after pressing him, it appears that they do not yet have everything approved…..it seems like California guidelines are holding things up for now…..but if U.S. cars are being made now, they must be pretty sure of getting final approvals shortly.
I told him that most of us in the U.S. have been told that U.S. cars would start being delivered by the end of December. He seemed to agree with that assessment, and that coincides with his latest information.

2. Both the 6 cylinder Toyota and the 4 cylinder AMG engined cars are being produced simultaneously on the production line…..55% 6 cylinder and 45% 4 cylinder cars….and are being produced in that proportion according to customer orders.
No dealer “showroom” cars are being produced…..only customer-ordered cars…except for demo cars.

3. They are producing approximately 40 cars per day, Monday thru Thursday. There are 2 shifts being worked on the production line. If you were to order a car today, he said there was a 2 year wait.

4. Quality control seems to be worked out better than the horror stories we’ve been hearing on the Facebook sites from earlier orders. At least, that is how it appeared to me.

5. The new colored cars are being produced along side the original 6 colors of the original “first-edition” cars.
Of the new colors, the vivid red is more “Ferrari-ish” than the Magma red, and looks great. The new darker blue (can’t remember if they have 2 new blues or not, but it is striking. The new silver really shows off the lines of the car, and I liked it also.
He told me that of the original 6 colors, the order of preference is:
Seneca Blue
Hethel Yellow
Dark Verdant
Nimbus Gray
Magma Red
Shadow Gray

I ordered Nimbus with the upper and lower black pack, and diamond- cut wheels……and I am very happy with my choice after seeing my spec.

Overall, I would recommend going on the tour if you get a chance. You learn a lot about the design of the car, etc.

I’m sure I have left out a lot. If you have questions, I’ll try and answer!

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Still trying to figure out when to do factory tour and doing experience
Any suggestions on best month to go
Is April agood month weather wise or may. April would be preferable
Thanks in advance for any help

mrmoogee

Reaction score
Still trying to figure out when to do factory tour and doing experience
Any suggestions on best month to go
Is April agood month weather wise or may. April would be preferable
Thanks in advance for any help
Weather wise..... very 50/50... sometimes April can be a wash out, others lovely and warm... I've still not worked out a pattern for it in all my years on this pokey island....

Tour wise,
I think if your looking at the Classic Team Lotus side as well, the only consideration I would advise - what other big car events/races are on globally... if there is something on (Monaco Historic GP as an example), then some cars might not be on site and could be away being used... so if you're set to see something specific, could be worth a check