Emiras advertised for sale on other sites

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you not think we are likely to see something similar to Alpine prices? Where they launched with a premiere edition (first edition) at 49k and then when the own spec cars came to market for 50k it inflated the price of Premiere Editions that had all the options ticked.

Obviously own spec cars for the Emira won’t start at more expensive than the FE, but if the base price goes up by the amounts expected then to get a similar spec as a FE you would be paying a fair bit more than the early cars have cost. I would have thought because of that the early “locked in price” FEs will stay at around list price for the first year.
There is a strong possibility of this I think. There may even be a sweet spot for those wanting to buy second hand to avoid the wait... Before the base model comes out with price increases.
But for those where cost of ownership is a notable factor, to continue, is to rely on the price lift of base which currently is unknown. I think some did have a quote for a base (I might be mistaken on this) and the latest video did state Lotus would honour any quoted price.
I'd be very surprised to see only 50% residual value after 3 years. unless the market as a whole has taken a tumble and everything else has come down similarly. And I would still be surprised as you would think the last Ice manual would give some sort of insulation to such a drop.

SuperBusa

Reaction score
There is a strong possibility of this I think. There may even be a sweet spot for those wanting to buy second hand to avoid the wait... Before the base model comes out with price increases.
But for those where cost of ownership is a notable factor, to continue, is to rely on the price lift of base which currently is unknown. I think some did have a quote for a base (I might be mistaken on this) and the latest video did state Lotus would honour any quoted price.
I'd be very surprised to see only 50% residual value after 3 years. unless the market as a whole has taken a tumble and everything else has come down similarly. And I would still be surprised as you would think the last Ice manual would give some sort of insulation to such a drop.
Really good points, if you look at how much other manufacturers have put prices up the base model going forward could well be at LE prices.
I can't see 50% after 3 years either, unless the world has gone crazy and remembering what inflation has been like in previous years prices went up not down.

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Really good points, if you look at how much other manufacturers have put prices up the base model going forward could well be at LE prices.
I can't see 50% after 3 years either, unless the world has gone crazy and remembering what inflation has been like in previous years prices went up not down.
Can I interject...

much depends on how you sell your car.....
I had a 718 S boxster.... fully spec'd, everything, 70k new...
registered in 2016
After less than 4 years, 3.5 I took it to porsche to trade it in...... 28k!!!!
I didnt take it, but that was the trade in value....
718 none V6 not that popular, but a good car, faster than the Emira I would say based on driving both, more luggage space, etc etc.
This was before COVid when things were normal. Things in the next 2 3 years will probably become normal again... Lotus's do NOT and have NEVER held their values. True the Emira is an unknown concept, not since the esprit have they had such a good looking car, but that too didnt hold its value.. but so long ago, invalid. Will they be faultless, generally like a porsche, no, I dont think the build quality will ever be the same, Im english but we just dont do that!
Last Ice car.... no.... last ice lotus yes, but the FE is the watered down version.... the one which may hold its value is not yet released and will be in limited numbers, really and actually limited, not like the 2000 odd UK FEs. When youtubers get them on tracks and see the cheaper BMW 2.4.732 series beating them round the track and making louder noises etc etc, demand will dwindle. "But its a lotus", it may matter to us, but it doesnt matter to the vast majority of car buyers.... they've not made a high selling car for decades, they have not had a well made car..... ever.

It just takes porsche to potentially update the interior of the 718...possible but unlikely, or reduce the base price of the GT versions and they will get a lot of Lotus customers.
It just takes a few cars over the next 2 3 months to only resell for list price OR BELOW.... and values will drop like a stone as orders are cancelled more and more. Customers are fickle, you cant rely on things to keep values high, too many potential pit falls for Lotus, many of which they have already experienced....

No one can predict the future, but I dont bank on an Emira being worth 60-70% in 3 years..... Its unrealistic to think it will out value a porsche GT car, it simply doesn't have the quality parts inside it Im afraid.

But if you are going to keep it for ever... who cares...... its not an investment though....

SuperBusa

Reaction score
Can I interject...

registered in 2016
718 none V6 not that popular, but a good car, faster than the Emira I would say based on driving both, more luggage space, etc etc.
This was before COVid when things were normal. Things in the next 2 3 years will probably become normal again... Lotus's do NOT and have NEVER held their values. True the Emira is an unknown concept, not since the esprit have they had such a good looking car, but that too didnt hold its value.. but so long ago, invalid. Will they be faultless, generally like a porsche, no, I dont think the build quality will ever be the same, Im english but we just dont do that!
Last Ice car.... no.... last ice lotus yes, but the FE is the watered down version.... the one which may hold its value is not yet released and will be in limited numbers, really and actually limited, not like the 2000 odd UK FEs. When youtubers get them on tracks and see the cheaper BMW 2.4.732 series beating them round the track and making louder noises etc etc, demand will dwindle. "But its a lotus", it may matter to us, but it doesnt matter to the vast majority of car buyers.... they've not made a high selling car for decades, they have not had a well made car..... ever.

It just takes porsche to potentially update the interior of the 718...possible but unlikely, or reduce the base price of the GT versions and they will get a lot of Lotus customers.
It just takes a few cars over the next 2 3 months to only resell for list price OR BELOW.... and values will drop like a stone as orders are cancelled more and more. Customers are fickle, you cant rely on things to keep values high, too many potential pit falls for Lotus, many of which they have already experienced....

No one can predict the future, but I dont bank on an Emira being worth 60-70% in 3 years..... Its unrealistic to think it will out value a porsche GT car, it simply doesn't have the quality parts inside it Im afraid.

But if you are going to keep it for ever... who cares...... its not an investment though....
Ah, Porsche dealers don't you love to hate them ;)

Yep, if you keep it forever, who cares, I've got a couple of those already. :love:

You might well be right and they will be at 50% after 3 years, wishful thinking on my part hopes not. ;) We will have to see.

SuperBusa

Reaction score
Can I interject...

registered in 2016

Good points about the Porsche GT cars and quality of parts, your right and I have enough friends who love them and keep ordering. I can think of 2 who stick religiously to the brand and get Macan's, 911's etc

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Can I interject...

registered in 2016

well Evora’s seem to hold their values pretty well, even taking into account inflationary and world issues.
My Evora S - bought £63k 2013 sold 5 years later for £41.5k retained value almost 66%
Evora400 bought £76k sold 4-1/2 years for £53k retained value 70%.

Works out depreciation cost on average each year around £4.5-5k a year.

I find that’s acceptable for this type of car, better than mainstream cars I think. However, caveat, Emira maybe more popular and may not hold their values as previous Lotus. Who knows market conditions and car desirability on world issues like inflation, food issues and wars affecting us all at present.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Can I interject...

registered in 2016

Arguably things, economically speaking, will in-fact be worse than 2019 (pre-covid). Before COVID - No war in Ukraine, China still in lockdown, Gas will never be cheap again, Interest rates never going down to the low levels. Inflation. Crypto Collapse. ( I wonder how Lotus NFT's are doing?)

This are some pretty big items. The demand for the Emira will be there for 2023 - after that I believe most enthusiast will have received or will be receiving their cars imminently.(end of '23 beginning '24) "Flippers" will be gone, pretty much from all marquees. Imagine a world where having money in the bank matters. The used market for Emira will certainly be below MSRP by mid summer in the UK - How much depends solely on how many they build for your market. As an example - UK receives 2,000 F/E+ allocations by end of 2023. North America receives 700 F/E's. Obviously Emira will hold it's value far better in N/A. I believe we are 7 times your population.

With that said - I hope Lotus understands what Porsche, Ferrari and now Aston Martin(almost, not yet) understand so well. They created a demand, but they must be very careful on how they deliver on it. I think they understand this. Remember the Emira is just a marketing pony show for the electric stuff. Yes they want it to make money, but its not the main squeeze. There will certainly be limited editions to follow.

I will add one more point - Geely will not allow the build quality to be sub par. Every company will have growing pains in launching a new model, that is certain. But the investment made into the Lotus brand by Geely,(billions +) making it the crown jewel of it's company and taking Porsche head-on, shows they are extremely invested in making sure it's a quality product. I have a strong opinion that QC is a number 1 priority to Geely and is something they will be very very focused on. If not, they might as well have burn the billions. I don't think we appreciate the major investment into the brand, perhaps not seen directly on the Hethel factory line. Do I think it will be Porsche quality out of Hethel, no. But far better than anything that came before it. With the right consistency.

Reaction score
I sold my Evora 400 14 months ago on 25k miles, which I bought new in 2016. It lost 33% in 2 months short of 5 years.

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Ah, Porsche dealers don't you love to hate them ;)

Yep, if you keep it forever, who cares, I've got a couple of those already. :love:

You might well be right and they will be at 50% after 3 years, wishful thinking on my part hopes not. ;) We will have to see.
I've got 1 keeper already too! And my 5 year old already has his eyes on this one when he's old enough...it'll be the only way he gets to choose his own speed and direction by then!

But, If I get the chance to pick up one at sub even 70% within 2 years (the likely time frame of when I actually get my car!), he will be the 3rd registered keeper!!!

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I sold my Evora 400 14 months ago on 25k miles, which I bought new in 2016. It lost 33% in 2 months short of 5 years.
yes, in the middle of covid...that changed everything....... teslas made money, i lost 5% in 2 years on my nomad, made money on my defender, westfield etc...
I havent lost money on any car in 3 4 years now... but that will change.
3 years ago Evora's were way down on list and you could get almost 10% off them from new.....
cant compare covid times with none covid times.....

Mctaff

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Another one…. 100k…. Verdant Green seems to have brightened up!

1670345190572.png

OP
emiraspain

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Another one…. 100k…. Verdant Green seems to have brightened up!

View attachment 20048

yes indeed, so new they couldnt get an accurate photo..... poor showing....correct price, probably sale or return?

Reaction score
yes, in the middle of covid...that changed everything....... teslas made money, i lost 5% in 2 years on my nomad, made money on my defender, westfield etc...
I havent lost money on any car in 3 4 years now... but that will change.
3 years ago Evora's were way down on list and you could get almost 10% off them from new.....
cant compare covid times with none covid times.....
I appreciate the last few years have not been normal in car sales, but Lotus have always been strong on depreciation. I have had nearly 50 cars of which 9 have been Lotus and they have been by far the best for depreciation. This could of course change with the current economic climate.

Wake

Reaction score
I appreciate the last few years have not been normal in car sales, but Lotus have always been strong on depreciation. I have had nearly 50 cars of which 9 have been Lotus and they have been by far the best for depreciation. This could of course change with the current economic climate.
Of topic but wow, 50 cars! The Emira will be my 5th car. Suzuki Swift, NA MX5, FD RX7, FK8 type R, Emira!

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting chat on depreciation under the New Normal:
ICE cars falling out of favor, gasoline a dirty word, interest rate chaos and sports cars still a niche enthusiast segment.
What signals are being sent by the Insurance and Finance companies about valuations and residuals?
That's the barometer.