• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Titanium exhaust interest...

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve not really looked into the Y pipes yet but will do at some point when I change the manifolds. What is the difference between yours and stock?
Good question, I don´t think there should be difference. The problem is that I ordered the heat insulation and was sent by mistake the not insulated. Not a big deal, I don´t track the car anyway
In any case, given the excellent quality of manufacturing, they should be better than stock.
Maybe @Airie can explain what the difference is.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Good question, I don´t think there should be difference. The problem is that I ordered the heat insulation and was sent by mistake the not insulated. Not a big deal, I don´t track the car anyway
In any case, given the excellent quality of manufacturing, they should be better than stock.
Maybe @Airie can explain what the difference is.
Or @Aerie anyway.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Has anyone brought an SPL meter into the cabin with these? I'm interested in a cat-back titanium exhaust but I'm worried about reports of it being pretty loud above 100kp/h which is a pretty low highway speed.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Has anyone brought an SPL meter into the cabin with these? I'm interested in a cat-back titanium exhaust but I'm worried about reports of it being pretty loud above 100kp/h which is a pretty low highway speed.
I have a decibel meter app on my iPhone that I'll use once I have my car. I don't know if it would be as accurate as a dedicated SPL meter, but as long as I use the same phone and app to compare stock sound levels with mods afterwards, the results should still be valid. I'm not planning on changing the exhaust at this time, but I am planning on doing things that may have an effect on the noise level in the interior. I'll document whatever I'm doing.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@Eagle7 I'm definitely going to be following your attempts at sound deadening and audio improvements.

As a daily / gt car I want to make sure this isn't so loud in the cabin as to be obnoxious.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@Eagle7 I'm definitely going to be following your attempts at sound deadening and audio improvements.

As a daily / gt car I want to make sure this isn't so loud in the cabin as to be obnoxious.
Exactly. I've made that mistake in the past on cars I modified. I absolutely hate cabin resonance. I don't want louder. That may be exciting for a few moments when accelerating, but it gets fatiguing real quick on a long drive. If I change the exhaust, it would be to improve (or at least not degrade) the tone quality, and save weight. I don't want the lower boomy frequencies, which is usually what you get when you go with bigger exhaust pipes. I prefer the higher-pitched snarly tones like a V12 has (think Gordon Murray's T50).

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mine just arrived today. Got the titanium tips and J pipe (not pictured) but will run the stock Y pipe.

Booked to install on Feb 16th and I’ll be producing a quality video with before and after clips recorded by a professional audio engineer.

For now, build quality looks impressive and it came very well packaged. I’ll keep you posted :)

Attachments

• IMG_6434.jpeg
    IMG_6434.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 86

finny76

EMIRAAA
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Mine just arrived today. Got the titanium tips and J pipe (not pictured) but will run the stock Y pipe.

Booked to install on Feb 16th and I’ll be producing a quality video with before and after clips recorded by a professional audio engineer.

For now, build quality looks impressive and it came very well packaged. I’ll keep you posted :)

Whats the difference between the J pipe and Y pipe?

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m referring to J pipe as the small pile that connects from the Y pipe to the back box and has the 3rd cat in it.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Maybe we can standardize how we talk about exhaust parts :)? This is terminology used officially by Lotus in their service documentation and are also widely accepted in the industry.

Starting from the cylinder head:

1.) Exhaust manifolds

- There are two of these, one for each bank.
- These are often called headers in the aftermarket world because the replacement is made of multiple pieces of tubes instead of a single piece construction.
- Have integrated catalytic converters in them.
- Have a pair of upstream oxygen sensors one on each side.

1705962107196.png

1705962121832.png

2.) Downpipe

- Also called a Y pipe sometimes.
- Role is to merge the exhaust flows from both of the exhaust manifolds into a single pipe.
- Has a built in resonator to remove unwanted frequencies.
- Has a pair of downstream oxygen sensors one on each side of the Y.

1705962071741.png

3.) Catalytic Converter

- Has no oxygen sensors.
- In the context of this thread some may be calling its replacement pipe a J pipe.
- Often mislabeled as an OPF by some more popular exhaust brands.

1705962398123.png

4.) Silencer Assembly

- Has an electronic valve actuator which routes exhaust flows through the silencer in order to silence the sound of the exhaust.

1705962370973.png

Last edited:

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Other terms often used:

- Catback - An exhaust that replaces everything after the catalytic converter, ambiguous in the case of the Emira that has 3 catalytic converters.
- Axle back - An exhaust that replaces everything behind the rear axle, ambiguous in the case of the Emira as that probably splits the downpipe in half or something.
- Header back - An exhaust that replaces everything behind the headers.

crashprash

Reaction score

Where are you getting it installed? in Sydney?