Emira Issues - from final production cars

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Can’t post link but a few more owners experiencing engine management light on FB
A3C79312-3BAB-4B26-8A70-E6AFE6249B60.jpeg

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
On another note, Lotus is not making the brakes in house, so this is most likely a supplier issue or as someone said a checmical came into contact that eroded the brakes. Could be a one off situation. Agree with Tom, Hethel should have sent out an engineer to look at the issue right away, clearly that is not normal. The lack of supply is the bigger problem.

The brakes are supplied by AP (owned by Brembo), so one of the world's largest brake manufactures.... These aren't some crazy custom size and should be readily available from AP. If Lotus doesn't have tons of rotors and pads in stock, then I'm truly worried. Especially for their dealer network who will soon have a ton of upset customers.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Remember it's more likely people will come on the forum and post about issues they are having (and see others reporting elsewhere) than posting about the miles of trouble-free motoring they are enjoying. Those people do exist and some have posted online on here and other forums, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube etc. I've had messages and calls from several of them.

Lotus understandably aren't going to publish figures on the rate of issues. Based on what I've seen and heard, I think 5-10% of cars delivered so far have had a major issue that has either stranded the car or required an unscheduled return to the dealer. Around 15% have reported issues that are annoying but not critical and can wait to be solved whenever the car is next at the dealer.

I think that's quite a high rate, but Lotus do seem to be acting on them quickly. I believe the slowdown of new deliveries and updates to deposit holders about further delays are because they are fixing these issues on cars built but not yet delivered, and putting mechanisms in place to ensure they don't occur on future builds. That's the right action to take, even if it adds further frustration about delays. If they told people what was going on it would probably help too, but we know they don't do communication well.

If an issue needs to be fixed urgently on several cars then they will do a Recall Notice for a range of VIN numbers (as they did with the steering pump issue on very early cars). If something needs to be done next time the car is at a dealer then they will issue a Service Bulletin. This is all normal practice for any car company. These documents will be published and owners will be able to access them.

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Remember it's more likely people will come on the forum and post about issues they are having (and see others reporting elsewhere) than posting about the miles of trouble-free motoring they are enjoying. Those people do exist and some have posted online on here and other forums, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube etc. I've had messages and calls from several of them.

Lotus understandably aren't going to publish figures on the rate of issues. Based on what I've seen and heard, I think 5-10% of cars delivered so far have had a major issue that has either stranded the car or required an unscheduled return to the dealer. Around 15% have reported issues that are annoying but not critical and can wait to be solved whenever the car is next at the dealer.

I think that's quite a high rate, but Lotus do seem to be acting on them quickly. I believe the slowdown of new deliveries and updates to deposit holders about further delays are because they are fixing these issues on cars built but not yet delivered, and putting mechanisms in place to ensure they don't occur on future builds. That's the right action to take, even if it adds further frustration about delays. If they told people what was going on it would probably help too, but we know they don't do communication well.

If an issue needs to be fixed urgently on several cars then they will do a Recall Notice for a range of VIN numbers (as they did with the steering pump issue on very early cars). If something needs to be done next time the car is at a dealer then they will issue a Service Bulletin. This is all normal practice for any car company. These documents will be published and owners will be able to access them.
That sounds very rational and if it were another brand, I may believe it. Unfortunately, Lotus doesn’t have much credibility with me.

Not doubting you. Doubting Lotus.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
That sounds very rational and if it were another brand, I may believe it. Unfortunately, Lotus doesn’t have much credibility with me.

Not doubting you. Doubting Lotus.
If you go on a porsche forum you'd think all of them spontaneously implode. I've had 1 lemon in 15 porsches. Which was the first cayman s on launch day back in 06

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

There is what 7 delivered cars on here that we know about? 5 with or had issues with first 4 weeks of ownership (or less)?

As an aside, Im not still on here to scare monger and gloat btw.

Honestly wanting to see this all pan out well and genuinely excited to see 3rd party upgrades in case I decide to hop back in...

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
More than that have been delivered to forum members. The Journals sub-forum has 12 and some have taken delivery but not started a journal thread yet.

I know about many more delivered cars than that, nearly 40 of them where I know who has got them and about 75 known to have been delivered in the UK. As I say, about 1 in 10 with a significant issue.

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I know about many more delivered cars than that, nearly 40 of them where I know who has got them and about 75 known to have been delivered in the UK. As I say, about 1 in 10 with a significant issue.
About 26 cars (Oct.-Dec.) have already been registered 2022 in Germany so far.

But I don‘t know how many are run by dealers as demonstrators and how many are in private hands.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
updates to deposit holders about further delays are because they are fixing these issues on cars built but not yet delivered, and putting mechanisms in place to ensure they don't occur on future builds.
I believe this.
My car was built 3 weeks ago and is in the "logistics/PDI" limbo and I cannot even be supplied a delivery window.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Remember there is reporting bias in effect here (happy people with problem-free cars rarely report that).

As I said earlier in this thread, it appears to be 1 in 10 cars affected by a major issue so far. Not great the issues arise in the first place and haven't been found in testing - we may never know the root cause and how it got through QA. But we do know there is a fix already with some dealers and starting to be applied to customer cars.

Sizona

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I picked up my Emira recently, no bad paint, no warning lights, no limp mode, no bad door weatherstrip, no tangled belts etc. Some may say 'yet' but I can only report as is.

Just a gorgeous looking car that is great to own and drive. It's one thing test driving them or looking at dealer cars but when it your own it its a whole different delight! I do understand maybe I have been lucky. Obviously It's a shame some def have had issues but lets be a bit more positive :)

It has been depressing looking at a lot of posts, so much negativity has nearly stopped me even visiting Emira Forum which would be a shame as some great contributors and lots of worthwhile info. Mostly.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I picked up my Emira recently, no bad paint, no warning lights, no limp mode, no bad door weatherstrip, no tangled belts etc. Some may say 'yet' but I can only report as is.

Just a gorgeous looking car that is great to own and drive. It's one thing test driving them or looking at dealer cars but when it your own it its a whole different delight! I do understand maybe I have been lucky. Obviously It's a shame some def have had issues but lets be a bit more positive :)

It has been depressing looking at a lot of posts, so much negativity has nearly stopped me even visiting Emira Forum which would be a shame as some great contributors and lots of worthwhile info. Mostly.
Great to have some positivity, how many miles have you put on it ?

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Corvette Forum C8 section. There are almost 2500 replies in the "Issues" post. Many owners have had transmissions replaced, sometimes more than once. I am amazed that a majority of the owners having problems believe that this is common to all new models from every manufacturer. Another belief is that because the car has such high-performance abilities, it's to be expected that it will not be reliable.

I do have anticipation that like what happened with the Evora, issues will be fixed, hopefully for the long-term.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
OK folks, I'm locking this thread for a while. If you are an owner with issues to report (either newly found or fixes for known ones) then please PM them to me and I'll update the thread once it has been moderated.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've spent several hours today removing a lot of off topic posts from this thread, copying posts across into new issue-specific threads in the Problems and Issues sub-forum and updating the information in post #1 and post #2 for ease of reference.

I have also added some issues into post 1 that had been reported elsewhere. I have had a few issues reported direct to me while the thread has been locked. A couple of those have asked to be anonymous, so the issue has been added or number of occurrences increased but the originator omitted.

This thread is a very important forum resource for Emira owners. I am re-iterating here what I've added in post #1:

The purpose of this thread is for reporting issues, clarifying what the issues are and how many cars are affected (if known), possible workarounds or fixes, and details of official solutions. Off topic posts will be deleted.​

This is not a thread for complaining about Lotus quality or QA processes or the levels of customer care. If you are NOT an Emira owner, please think before posting - posts asking for clarification of issues or suggesting solutions to problems may be appropriate but in general this is a thread for Emira owners, dealers, Lotus staff and others with access to car/factory info.

The moderator team will be closely monitoring this thread so that it remains a valuable resource for Emira owners.

Mh59

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not exactly but it was long enough to drain the battery which resulted in errors / warnings about the battery for the first few days until I was able to give it a longer run on the motorway and charge it.

I was told this was the same for most / all vehicles delivered following the cold spell mid December.
Quick update on this one to confirm I found a document in my owners folder “EC CERTIFICATE OF CONFORMITY” which is dated 15th November.

The service book has a pre-delivery inspection stamp by Lotus dated 23rd November

The car was delivered to me December 15th

Unsure where it was throughout this period of time but probably out in the cold hence the very low battery and corroded brake disks.

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Quick update on this one to confirm I found a document in my owners folder “EC CERTIFICATE OF CONFORMITY” which is dated 15th November.

The service book has a pre-delivery inspection stamp by Lotus dated 23rd November

The car was delivered to me December 15th

Unsure where it was throughout this period of time but probably out in the cold hence the very low battery and corroded brake disks.
Mine was dated Nov 8th and delivered Dec 23rd

Mh59

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don’t know how these things work but in simple terms, you’d think the process was quick if there is nothing wrong.

Wherever was doing the checks probably hasn’t got the space to hold vehicles any longer than necessary.