Emira Issues - from final production cars

Mh59

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It went in with a number of what appeared minor issues (faulty speaker, boot catch, wing mirror, idle issue) and on inspection it was discovered the brake disks were heavily corroded and pads fractured to the point where it’s unsafe to drive. I’ve not gone above 78mph and only done 400 miles according to the tracker. Most of my driving is around town, school drops etc. Driven cautiously with absolutely no thrashing or similar involved.

Dealership agreed it was nothing to do with me and unsure how this could have happened. I’m sharing on the basis if it’s happened on mine, it could be the same for others and there are legitimate safety issues here.

At the same time, I’m also very much wanting to make clear the local dealership have their hands tied and are doing everything they can i’m told to resolve. This is an issue with the factory who seem to be unable to provide parts, a timeframe or a courtesy vehicle of any type.

At this stage, no idea how or when this might resolve but let’s hope sooner rather than later or the outcome seems obvious in terms of future ownership.

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Brief update. 5 days at the garage and no idea when I will get it back. Parts appear very difficult to procure, to the point I and the garage have asked Lotus to take them from the production line. Make of that what you will.

Incredibly frustrating that I’ve not had my car for 5 days and have no idea when I will be able to drive it again. “Weeks” rather than days was mentioned. At the same time, things might suddenly change but that’s the thing, nobody in the chain knows yet.

Walking in the rain and having to cobble lifts for kids footy isn’t what I had in mind when cashing in all my savings. I thought those days were gone after 18 months waiting patiently!

Sorry to hear this. However why don't you have a courtesy car of some kind? Just ask, I did and got one dropped off.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks @Mh59 - very appreciated.

That is a serious issue and very odd. Hope they do something for you quickly.

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It went in with a number of what appeared minor issues (faulty speaker, boot catch, wing mirror, idle issue) and on inspection it was discovered the brake disks were heavily corroded and pads fractured to the point where it’s unsafe to drive. I’ve not gone above 78mph and only done 400 miles according to the tracker. Most of my driving is around town, school drops etc. Driven cautiously with absolutely no thrashing or similar involved.

Dealership agreed it was nothing to do with me and unsure how this could have happened. I’m sharing on the basis if it’s happened on mine, it could be the same for others and there are legitimate safety issues here.

At the same time, I’m also very much wanting to make clear the local dealership have their hands tied and are doing everything they can i’m told to resolve. This is an issue with the factory who seem to be unable to provide parts, a timeframe or a courtesy vehicle of any type.

At this stage, no idea how or when this might resolve but let’s hope sooner rather than later or the outcome seems obvious in terms of future ownership.
Thanks for the info and I really feel sorry for you.....it must be gutting after, what should be, an exciting time with a new car.

Keep us posted 👍🏻

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Sorry just wanted to clarify - its going to take them weeks to get brake pads and discs sent out to you??

Or is it the other issues causing the delays? Brake discs and pads should be well stocked.

Mh59

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Sorry just wanted to clarify - its going to take them weeks to get brake pads and discs sent out to you??

Or is it the other issues causing the delays? Brake discs and pads should be well stocked.
Correct. The other issues are insignificant now. I could have returned it for the speaker replacement (and knock sensor which is another part that needs replacing I’m told) but the brakes issue means it’s effectively in jail at the dealer and is sat outside in the customer car park (according to my tracker) until x / y or z date.

No brake disks or pads available and it’s pending central’s response as to when.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
An issue of this nature with the brakes that was only found when the dealer was looking at the car for other reasons should result in an urgent visit from an engineer from Hethel to investigate. Not “we might send you some replacement parts sometime”.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
on inspection it was discovered the brake disks were heavily corroded and pads fractured to the point where it’s unsafe to drive.
Random question... did you by chance have the car detailed? Or did you do any cleaning work on it yourself?

The reason I ask is that I saw a similar incident with a car years ago due to a very odd reaction between a specific cleaner and a particular set of brake pads. The brake dust had something in it that reacted with the cleaning solution, or vice versa.

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced, it must be extremely frustrating. Hope they get you sorted quickly.

Mh59

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Random question... did you by chance have the car detailed? Or did you do any cleaning work on it yourself?

The reason I ask is that I saw a similar incident with a car years ago due to a very odd reaction between a specific cleaner and a particular set of brake pads. The brake dust had something in it that reacted with the cleaning solution, or vice versa.

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced, it must be extremely frustrating. Hope they get you sorted quickly.
No, it hadn’t yet been washed

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wouldn’t consider this incident a bigger issue. It probably is just a problem on that very car. Doesn’t make sense to me that all four disks and pads fail, but yet it is only reported on this single car. They probably really got damaged by some sort of chemical, cleaning solution or whatever.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Do you think this occurred because it sat at BCA for a time, and the discs then rusted from being wet, then it was moved without care and damaged the pads ? Its happened before on many cars (non Lotus) where discs have rusted too far

Hobiedick

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Do you happen to know how long it spent at BCA and if they are stored outside in all weathers?

Mctaff

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider this incident a bigger issue. It probably is just a problem on that very car. Doesn’t make sense to me that all four disks and pads fail, but yet it is only reported on this single car. They probably really got damaged by some sort of chemical, cleaning solution or whatever.

the bigger issue for me is they can't supply replacements!

Twin Cam

Emira Fan
Reaction score
many years ago I had my Cosworth off the road for around six months, waiting for the insurance prices to calm down. first time I went to drive it the pads had fused to the discs and sheered clean off the metal part of the pad, it was no big deal at the time, but then the car was two years old and not brand new

Mh59

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Do you happen to know how long it spent at BCA and if they are stored outside in all weathers?
Not exactly but it was long enough to drain the battery which resulted in errors / warnings about the battery for the first few days until I was able to give it a longer run on the motorway and charge it.

I was told this was the same for most / all vehicles delivered following the cold spell mid December.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Not exactly but it was long enough to drain the battery which resulted in errors / warnings about the battery for the first few days until I was able to give it a longer run on the motorway and charge it.

I was told this was the same for most / all vehicles delivered following the cold spell mid December.
At least there is a probable explanation.
Now let's just hope Lotus do the right thing and make the parts available. The rest of your issues sound like they should be easily rectified. Hopefully all sorted now whilst weather is horrible 🙂

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The issue of not having brake pads and discs available is the big one for me. These are consumables and should be back stocked. Imagine someone did a track season and wanted pads replaced at the end. This is extremely concerning.

On another note, Lotus is not making the brakes in house, so this is most likely a supplier issue or as someone said a checmical came into contact that eroded the brakes. Could be a one off situation. Agree with Tom, Hethel should have sent out an engineer to look at the issue right away, clearly that is not normal. The lack of supply is the bigger problem.

Anyone know who supplies the braking system to lotus? Is it still AP racing?

Last edited: