• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira insurance in the US

Progressive can beat my SUV rate by miles (1244/yr) but they say they can't even insure the Lotus. Anyone else found they can get coverage?

Last edited:
When I first starting getting quotes 18mo ago, it was around $65/mo (albeit an estimate but that is what they were showing). It has slowly been creeping up everytime I check. Last week looked again and was up to $90/mo. Still way less many others are paying but more than my Z06 - this surprised me given the price delta between the two. Maybe the time the car actually arrives it will be over $100/mo

1711654086204.png

Progressive can beat my SUV rate by miles (1244/yr) but they say they can't even insure the Lotus. Anyone else found they can get coverage?
Not true because my Evora and Emira are insured by Progressive. They have to manually input the VIN and vehicle value. After that they can insure it.

Wow that is really good, I also have SF and mine is $287 per month
May want to play with deductibles. I set mine high because I dont drive the cars to much and can pay out of pocket for the high deductible.

May want to play with deductibles. I set mine high because I dont drive the cars to much and can pay out of pocket for the high deductible.
Thanks, I will take a look. I just got a quote with Geico for about $185 per month, but SF saves me $1,000 off my home insurance annually. I guess it all evens out 🤷‍♂️

I just spent a few hours shopping around for insurance in CO. Granted, none of these companies are my current insurer as American Family won't insure this car (not sure if never or it just isn't in their system but the underwriters denied exception). I did however put in two cars just in case there was a discount for more than one car. Price to follow is just for the Emira though.
Progressive and State Farm were both over $300/mo. USAA just under $200/mo. Hagerty is $147/mo.
Over 50 y/o driver with zero accident history or tickets in the last 30 years.

Back to insurance shopping, I just ran some apples to apples numbers on Hagerty.com for three locations I could possibly register my Emira: California (specifically Orange County), Kirkland, WA (Seattle area), and Boise, ID. The differences were exactly opposite of what I was expecting. For 30+ years of driving experience, 0 license pts, and 1000 ded on comp and collision, Boise came in the most expensive at $253/mo, Seattle was next at $241/mo and So Cal/OC was $188/mo (12% cheaper than my State Farm quote in Cali). So Haggery is giving me much lower rates in California (22% lower than Seattle and 26% lower than Boise). That's serious difference. I have some ideas now why that might be so, but would love to hear from anyone out there who may know why I'm seeing such a big difference in these three areas.

Back to insurance shopping, I just ran some apples to apples numbers on Hagerty.com for three locations I could possibly register my Emira: California (specifically Orange County), Kirkland, WA (Seattle area), and Boise, ID. The differences were exactly opposite of what I was expecting. For 30+ years of driving experience, 0 license pts, and 1000 ded on comp and collision, Boise came in the most expensive at $253/mo, Seattle was next at $241/mo and So Cal/OC was $188/mo (12% cheaper than my State Farm quote in Cali). So Haggery is giving me much lower rates in California (22% lower than Seattle and 26% lower than Boise). That's serious difference. I have some ideas now why that might be so, but would love to hear from anyone out there who may know why I'm seeing such a big difference in these three areas.
Hagerty is the way to go in CA, I'm in Palm Springs and I think in the areas where there are more cars that they insure they provide better rates. There's also the rain/snow/weather issues that "generally" we don't have in SoCal, we definitely don't have them in Palm Springs. I'm at $2100 for 1 year, full value, $1000 deductible 250/500K limits, window coverage with no deductible, Hagerty club which includes unlimited flatbed towing (100 miles) and roadside assistance. 60 years old, no accidents, last ticket in 1988. 2100 is higher than I'd like, but that was the lowest and best I could find.

Thanks @DVGregori , and yes the weather issue is something I was presuming. But actually thought smaller town, less traffic in Boise might offset that, maybe a lot. I guess not. Maybe time to consider moving other cars to Haggerty to see what multicar discounts I could get in addition to the Emira.

Idiot question - car is finally arriving next week, and looking at insurance options. Currently leaning towards Grundy as price is very competitive compared to Hagerty or my usual auto insurer. Looking to set the start date of policy to be the date I collect the car, but seems that you need to have the registration document to be able to get the policy setup (and also a photo of the car)? Anyone worked out how to actually do this ahead of collecting the car.

Idiot question - car is finally arriving next week, and looking at insurance options. Currently leaning towards Grundy as price is very competitive compared to Hagerty or my usual auto insurer. Looking to set the start date of policy to be the date I collect the car, but seems that you need to have the registration document to be able to get the policy setup (and also a photo of the car)? Anyone worked out how to actually do this ahead of collecting the car.
Got mine through Hagerty and had no such issue. I did the quote online, then had to call to adjust the coverage and make a few tweaks. I gave them the Vin and had it underwritten the same day and set it to start on the day of delivery. Never heard of needing photos or the registration to start a policy. Look elsewhere.