Emira insurance in the US

skydude

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Got my initial quote from State Farm for $118 a month with 500/500 deductible. I haven't had a claim in 55 years of driving, so I'm going to request an increase to $1,000 deductible for collision. Collision is 67% of the total cost of the coverage. If I can get that lowered by say $25 a month, I'll put that in a savings account. After 20 months that will equal the $500 difference of the deductible. After that, it'll grow by $25 a month. Another 20 months and I'll have the entire $1,000 deductible in savings, and growing.

I think back and if I had only half the money in a savings account that I've payed insurance companies for the last 55 years for nothing (no claims), I'd probably be a multi-millionaire by now just from that alone.
State farm quoted me $12k per year haha.
Grundy is $1641 per year for the Emira and my Golf R32.
Maybe it's Georgia. I know insurance is typically expensive here.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I just got my quote from State Farm updated now that they have it in their system:

$171 per month - $2052/annually, but they then did knock down the rates on my other vehicles for adding another policy and that saved $20/month so it sort of nets out to only adding $1812/annually per year. I can live with that.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My final with Hagerty ended up being $1455 a year for the Emira.

Here's the actual breakdown for my Virginia policy with Hagerty, just because I like transparency and want to make sure that people are comparing apples to apples:

1710952037926.png

There's an additional fee on top for the Hagerty Driver's Club membership, that brings the total up to $1455.

Note the liability bodily injury values at 250k/500k, property liability at 100k, and a 1k deductible for comprehensive and collision. That might be lower than what you would want to carry, but I have a separate umbrella policy with my household insurer that covers me significantly above these limits, so I've struck a balance.

Hope this helps someone when they're looking at the detail of their own insurance buying process and scratching their heads about disparity in costs.

-Porter

Last edited:

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I checked with both Hagerty and Grundy a few months ago and posted on the forum about an limitation on their coverage that didn't work for me. I called them both last week and re-checked to be sure I had another agent who would tell me the same thing, and they did. Both of these insurance companies will not cover you if you do not park the car in your garage. I specifically put forward the scenario of a weekend trip staying at a hotel. Nope, they will NOT cover the car parked at the hotel. Grundy's website indicates they will, and I told the agent that, but they were very specific in telling me that they will not cover it. Their policies are only for use while driving or temporarily parked at car events. Hagerty's website says they won't cover it and they concur on the phone.

Be absolutely sure you know what you are getting with their policies. I'm not trying to put down their coverage - just want to be sure people know there are specific limitations that may not fit your intended use for the car.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
My final with Hagerty ended up being $1455 a year for the Emira.

Here's the actual breakdown for my Virginia policy with Hagerty, just because I like transparency and want to make sure that people are comparing apples to apples:

View attachment 39245
There's an additional fee or two on top (and I think some kind of state tax?) that brings the total up to $1455.

Note the liability bodily injury values at 250k/500k, property liability at 100k, and a 1k deductible for comprehensive and collision. That might be lower than what you would want to carry, but I have a separate umbrella policy with my household insurer that covers me significantly above these limits, so I've struck a balance.

Hope this helps someone when they're looking at the detail of their own insurance buying process and scratching their heads about disparity in costs.

-Porter

This is so crazy to me. Hagerty quoted me $2568 for my Evora GT. No accidents, no tickets, and perfect credit. :rolleyes:

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
I checked with both Hagerty and Grundy a few months ago and posted on the forum about an limitation on their coverage that didn't work for me. I called them both last week and re-checked to be sure I had another agent who would tell me the same thing, and they did. Both of these insurance companies will not cover you if you do not park the car in your garage. I specifically put forward the scenario of a weekend trip staying at a hotel. Nope, they will NOT cover the car parked at the hotel. Grundy's website indicates they will, and I told the agent that, but they were very specific in telling me that they will not cover it. Their policies are only for use while driving or temporarily parked at car events. Hagerty's website says they won't cover it and they concur on the phone.

Be absolutely sure you know what you are getting with their policies. I'm not trying to put down their coverage - just want to be sure people know there are specific limitations that may not fit your intended use for the car.

Thanks for the insight, that's actually a very specific point that can be concerning for those who want to travel.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, that's actually a very specific point that can be concerning for those who want to travel.

Wow, yeah, that's a no go for me too. I drive and travel with my car as much as possible! Imagine overlooking that stipulation and trying to file a claim just to be denied because it was parked overnight at a resort or hotel somewhere. 🤯

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is so crazy to me. Hagerty quoted me $2568 for my Evora GT. No accidents, no tickets, and perfect credit. :rolleyes:
Hagerty with the same inputs gave me $2800. No tickets, No accidents, great credit.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wow, yeah, that's a no go for me too. I drive and travel with my car as much as possible! Imagine overlooking that stipulation and trying to file a claim just to be denied because it was parked overnight at a resort or hotel somewhere. 🤯
You would be covered on the driving portion of the trips, but if you are vandalized or your car otherwise damaged while parked outside your garage, you're not covered!

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

That is literally not what it says in my policy declarations packet from Hagerty. In fact it's one of the primary reasons for coverage called "Other Than Collision". You have to have both Collision and "Other Than Collision" coverage (sometimes called "comprehensive") on the policy. If the car was only covered while you were literally driving it, that would be a Collision-only policy. The car is covered by the Other Than Collision portion of the policy 24/7 when you are not operating the vehicle. It just needs to be *principally garaged* in the location described on the policy, it doesn't need to exclusively exist only there when not being operated. That would be insane.

They literally describe road trips and overnight stays as part of the benefits of their particular insurance philosophy. And they even have a particular rider that you can add called "Motorsports Advantage" that (among other things) adds trip interruption coverage up to $1500 that covers the cost of your hotel stay if your journey is interrupted due to a mechanical breakdown.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That is literally not what it says in my policy declarations packet from Hagerty. In fact it's one of the primary reasons for coverage called "Other Than Collision". You have to have both Collision and "Other Than Collision" coverage (sometimes called "comprehensive") on the policy. If the car was only covered while you were literally driving it, that would be a Collision-only policy. The car is covered by the Other Than Collision portion of the policy 24/7 when you are not operating the vehicle. It just needs to be *principally garaged* in the location described on the policy, it doesn't need to exclusively exist only there when not being operated. That would be insane.

They literally describe road trips and overnight stays as part of the benefits of their particular insurance philosophy. And they even have a particular rider that you can add called "Motorsports Advantage" that (among other things) adds trip interruption coverage up to $1500 that covers the cost of your hotel stay if your journey is interrupted due to a mechanical breakdown.
What did they tell you about driving the car to work? One reason I cancelled Hagerty years ago when they told me I could not drive the car to work ever (at least what the agent said). I work on a military base so cant really say I just happen to be driving thru there.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

To follow up even more... I just called Hagerty customer service on the phone to check.

They told me, just now, explicitly, that the comprehensive ("Other Than Collision") portion of the policy covers anything that happens to the vehicle that is not in your direct control, regardless of where it's located.

They said, to the best of my immediate recollection from 5 minutes ago, "We want our policy holders to use their vehicles for fun, that's the whole purpose of our policies. Whether that's going to car shows, or spectating at motorsports events, or just going somewhere for fun with family or friends. Your car is covered whether it's parked at a hotel, or in the lot at a car show, or at a restaurant, or anywhere else you might be."

Hope this helps.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What did they tell you about driving the car to work? One reason I cancelled Hagerty years ago when they told me I could not drive the car to work (at least what the agent said). I work on a military base so cant really say I just happen to be driving thru there.
Riddle me this... what happens when you work from home fulltime? Is it safely in your garage or did you leave it at work overnight? Is HR going to fire me for having my family sleep overnight at my place of business? Is it sexual harassment to hit on my wife?

I'm going to need a full-time legal team now...

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What did they tell you about driving the car to work? One reason I cancelled Hagerty years ago when they told me I could not drive the car to work ever (at least what the agent said). I work on a military base so cant really say I just happen to be driving thru there.
You can't use it as your daily driver. You have to have another vehicle that's your primary transportation. The Hagerty-covered vehicle is supposed to be for leisure use.

I don't think that means there's a ban on ever driving the vehicle to the location where you work. You just can't use it as daily transportation.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Riddle me this... what happens when you work from home fulltime? Is it safely in your garage or did you leave it at work overnight? Is HR going to fire me for having my family sleep overnight at my place of business? Is it sexual harassment to hit on my wife?

I'm going to need a full-time legal team now...
WFH is still your home. The fact that you're working on business there isn't relevant to anything.

The distinction about "work" vs "home" in an auto policy is about material risk to the vehicle during the commute. If the vehicle isn't moving, the commute risk is zero.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To follow up even more... I just called Hagerty customer service on the phone to check.

They told me, just now, explicitly, that the comprehensive ("Other Than Collision") portion of the policy covers anything that happens to the vehicle that is not in your direct control, regardless of where it's located.

They said, to the best of my immediate recollection from 5 minutes ago, "We want our policy holders to use their vehicles for fun, that's the whole purpose of our policies. Whether that's going to car shows, or spectating at motorsports events, or just going somewhere for fun with family or friends. Your car is covered whether it's parked at a hotel, or in the lot at a car show, or at a restaurant, or anywhere else you might be."

Hope this helps.
Not doubting you at all, Porter. But when I put my specific scenario in front of both Hagerty and Grundy (twice with Grundy and twice with Hagerty) they said it wouldn't cover. My scenario is I want to travel to the mountains for a long weekend (multi-nights) and I'll be parked at a hotel.

I'm going to hit them up again.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not doubting you at all, Porter. But when I put my specific scenario in front of both Hagerty and Grundy (twice with Grundy and twice with Hagerty) they said it wouldn't cover. My scenario is I want to travel to the mountains for a long weekend (multi-nights) and I'll be parked at a hotel.

I'm going to hit them up again.
I literally just gave them the same scenario, described in detail. And they said "Of course you'd be covered."

I suspect that your independent agent may be the weak link in this chain of information. Maybe Hagerty's premium residuals for the agent are low?

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You can't use it as your daily driver. You have to have another vehicle that's your primary transportation. The Hagerty-covered vehicle is supposed to be for leisure use.

I don't think that means there's a ban on ever driving the vehicle to the location where you work. You just can't use it as daily transportation.
Thats exactly what they told me. Can never drive it to work, not one day a week, month, or year. Would not be easy to deny if I got hit outside my work building due to its not on public property. Maybe they changed that but I'd want proof in writing from them.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I literally just gave them the same scenario, described in detail. And they said "Of course you'd be covered."

I suspect that your independent agent may be the weak link in this chain of information. Maybe Hagerty's premium residuals for the agent are low?
Here is the result of chat from 30 seconds ago, when i posed the question via chat.

"That is correct! The only exception we can make is if you were to go on car club related vacations. Examples are taking a trip with a car club or going to a car show out of state with your classic/collector."