Emira insurance in the US

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here is the result of chat from 30 seconds ago, when i posed the question via chat.

"That is correct! The only exception we can make is if you were to go on car club related vacations. Examples are taking a trip with a car club or going to a car show out of state with your classic/collector."
I'm calling Hagerty directly to get these answers

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've got a feeling Karl and Porter might be talking past each other due to differences in policies in each state.

Talking about US insurance is sort of like talking about insurance in 50 different countries.

Xroyalnavy

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've got a feeling Karl and Porter might be talking past each other due to differences in policies in each state.

Talking about US insurance is sort of like talking about insurance in 50 different countries.
My quote from Hagarty $1,040/year. Helped because I have 6 other vehicles with them as well as being with them for 25 years or so.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

When I posted a chat with them, they didn't know my state. Their web site also says:
  • Used for pleasure driving not regular commuting, ex. shows, scenic drives, occasional drives to work, etc.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When I posted a chat with them, they didn't know my state. Their web site also says:
  • Used for pleasure driving not regular commuting, ex. shows, scenic drives, occasional drives to work, etc.
It also describes "weekend trips". Do they think you're going to sleep in the car? The lady I talked to on the phone sort of laughed at the idea that the car wouldn't be covered. It's literally the reason for comprehensive coverage.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It also describes "weekend trips". Do they think you're going to sleep in the car? The lady I talked to on the phone sort of laughed at the idea that the car wouldn't be covered. It's literally the reason for comprehensive coverage.
The website doesn't mention weekend trips. I'm looking at it right now.

I have 3 inquiries to Hagerty, all with exactly the same answer. You received a completely different answer. I can't explain that. Since I'm not going with them for the Emira, I don't have a policy that I can review to read their fine print.

I encourage anyone looking for collector car coverage to spend plenty of time talking to the company about how you'll use the car and satisfy yourself with their answer. It appears Your Mileage May Vary.

I'll bow out of this topic.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Based on what has been posted here. I decided to check with Haggerty what coverage (exclusions) I have
Just got off phone with Haggerty
Spoke with a very knowledgeable lady
Asked her about weekend trips.- parking lots.
She pulled up my policy. I’m covered if staying at hotels or any place while traveling.
Just have have car in covered and secured garage when at home.
Hope this help and probably you should call again to check.
She also told different states have different requirements.
Texas is not a problem
EDIT I use Coverica insurance agency in Dallas in case anyone is interested

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Based on what has been posted here. I decided to check with Haggerty what coverage (exclusions) I have
Just got off phone with Haggerty
Spoke with a very knowledgeable lady
Asked her about weekend trips.- parking lots.
She pulled up my policy. I’m covered if staying at hotels or any place while traveling.
Just have have car in covered and secured garage when at home.
Hope this help and probably you should call again to check.
She also told different states have different requirements.
Texas is not a problem
Good Lord, have I just been unlucky 3 times? I'm going in for call # 4.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Good Lord, have I just been unlucky 3 times? I'm going in for call # 4.
1710959982950.jpeg

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I just had a 20 minute phone call with a wonderful lady at Hagerty. She got into the detail of this with me, and explained some of why there might be different answers given to different people.

They apparently get a ton of crazy inquiries from people who are just trying to get lower car insurance rates, and the customer service reps are being challenged by people with the weirdest scenarios all the time. She said she literally got a call from a guy who wanted "collector car insurance" on his 1970s pickup truck and asked her if it would be covered when he was using it to make his twice-weekly trip to the dump to unload a full bed of scrap metal and garbage. Turns out it's an old rough pickup truck, isn't actually a collector car at all, and he was just trying to save $100 a year compared to his normal policy.

I think they've gotten to a point where they just assume that if someone is asking a bunch of scenario questions about what's covered, that they're probably going to be doing wrong things with the car and are asking a bunch of questions to try to game the system, and it's better to just avoid the risks. She said the chat is the absolute worst for this, and wasn't surprised that KAR120C got a dismissive answer. She understood where we were coming from though, and wanted to clarify some things.

What she told me regarding the stated scenario, which is a pleasure trip to the mountains with my spouse to stay at a hotel and then return, is that if there's a claim that arises from damage in the parking lot of a hotel, the claims adjuster is going to ask some pointed questions about why the car was in the parking lot of a hotel. If it turns out that you were genuinely taking a pleasure trip and there was some unfortunate loss, then it's covered. If it turns out to have been something else, like you were actually traveling for work, or you're secretly an employee of the hotel, or you actually rented the car out on Turo and someone abandoned it at a hotel... in all those cases you aren't going to be covered. Apparently they've been burned a lot on stuff like this, because so many people are entitled assholes (my words, not hers).

They do have additional coverages that can be added to the policy that are oriented toward people who travel with the car on a regular basis. These are NOT required coverages to use the car for travel, but they do add additional benefits that can come in handy if a trip gets interrupted. Those are called 1. Motorsports Advantage and 2. Traveling Collector. The first is designed for folks who travel to attend major motorsports events and might have scenarios arise that they'd like covered, like the use of a golf cart or trip interruption coverages. This cost $20 extra per year, and I added it. The second (Traveling Collector) is for folks who regularly attend large car shows and travel long distances to do so, and adds coverage for things like memorabilia that are often part of that "show and display" pattern of use. That costs $25 extra per year, but doesn't match my pattern of use so I didn't add it.

More detail on available optional coverages:
1710961095543.png

Hope this helps others! I found it useful info.

Thanks,
Porter

GrahamClark_60-68

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just got the bill from State Farm for my Alfa, and it went up 17% from last November. When I asked about why the increase and so much (the car is a year older now), the answer was that all vehicles are getting the 17% increase because the cost of repairs and labor for the vehicles you hit has gone up. She said "They now have computers and are computer controlled and cost much more than they used to for repairs and labor". She didn't say EV but she implied it. If you hit one, the cost of repairs is astronomical and that's now being passed on to our insurance premiums.

While there is undoubtedly something to that, somehow this smells of a scheme of some kind. I was reading an article where the insurance industry wants to require auto manufactures to install communication/tracking units in all cars so insurance companies can 'adjust' your premiums by the day. Supposedly this is to help customers 'save money', but of course that's a lie. They also want to make it mandatory that you have one of these and it be connected or they won't insure you. They want to be able to "adjust" your premiums daily based on how often you drive, how long you drive, where you go, and the speed. These units will also allow the insurance company to disable your vehicle if you don't pay your premium on time. Banks and finance companies are in on this so they can disable your vehicle if you don't make a payment, or are late. If the car is self-driving, they'll be able to simply turn it on, and direct it to drive itself to a repossession yard. Then of course, what an opportunity for taxation! Don't think the politicians who have to vote this in aren't paying attention. Are you using your vehicle 'excessively' by their definition? You'll be taxed extra for putting the planet at risk! Climate change and all that.

I'm going to write to my state legislators and request they not go for something like this. It's a major violation of our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. This kind of thing will put an impossible burden on the poor. All of this is like a bad sci-fi movie, except it isn't a m

Just got the bill from State Farm for my Alfa, and it went up 17% from last November. When I asked about why the increase and so much (the car is a year older now), the answer was that all vehicles are getting the 17% increase because the cost of repairs and labor for the vehicles you hit has gone up. She said "They now have computers and are computer controlled and cost much more than they used to for repairs and labor". She didn't say EV but she implied it. If you hit one, the cost of repairs is astronomical and that's now being passed on to our insurance premiums.

While there is undoubtedly something to that, somehow this smells of a scheme of some kind. I was reading an article where the insurance industry wants to require auto manufactures to install communication/tracking units in all cars so insurance companies can 'adjust' your premiums by the day. Supposedly this is to help customers 'save money', but of course that's a lie. They also want to make it mandatory that you have one of these and it be connected or they won't insure you. They want to be able to "adjust" your premiums daily based on how often you drive, how long you drive, where you go, and the speed. These units will also allow the insurance company to disable your vehicle if you don't pay your premium on time. Banks and finance companies are in on this so they can disable your vehicle if you don't make a payment, or are late. If the car is self-driving, they'll be able to simply turn it on, and direct it to drive itself to a repossession yard. Then of course, what an opportunity for taxation! Don't think the politicians who have to vote this in aren't paying attention. Are you using your vehicle 'excessively' by their definition? You'll be taxed extra for putting the planet at risk! Climate change and all that.

I'm going to write to my state legislators and request they not go for something like this. It's a major violation of our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. This kind of thing will put an impossible burden on the poor. All of this is like a bad sci-fi movie, except it isn't a movie.
Was hoping this wouldn't be true for me, but yup, just got the email from my State Farm agent in California, my rates on all four of my existing cars going up 21 %! Yikes! And yep, got the same psycho babble: "Increasing costs to repair the high tech cars with all of the new electronic components…coupled with increased labor." Now I KNOW costs haven't increased that much that quickly to repair "ordinary" cars so I agree with @Eagle7 on where this is coming from. We're now subsidizing EVs in our higher insurance costs. Just thought of my next personalized plate: TAX EVS.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I just had a 20 minute phone call with a wonderful lady at Hagerty. She got into the detail of this with me, and explained some of why there might be different answers given to different people.

They apparently get a ton of crazy inquiries from people who are just trying to get lower car insurance rates, and the customer service reps are being challenged by people with the weirdest scenarios all the time. She said she literally got a call from a guy who wanted "collector car insurance" on his 1970s pickup truck and asked her if it would be covered when he was using it to make his twice-weekly trip to the dump to unload a full bed of scrap metal and garbage. Turns out it's an old rough pickup truck, isn't actually a collector car at all, and he was just trying to save $100 a year compared to his normal policy.

I think they've gotten to a point where they just assume that if someone is asking a bunch of scenario questions about what's covered, that they're probably going to be doing wrong things with the car and are asking a bunch of questions to try to game the system, and it's better to just avoid the risks. She said the chat is the absolute worst for this, and wasn't surprised that KAR120C got a dismissive answer. She understood where we were coming from though, and wanted to clarify some things.

What she told me regarding the stated scenario, which is a pleasure trip to the mountains with my spouse to stay at a hotel and then return, is that if there's a claim that arises from damage in the parking lot of a hotel, the claims adjuster is going to ask some pointed questions about why the car was in the parking lot of a hotel. If it turns out that you were genuinely taking a pleasure trip and there was some unfortunate loss, then it's covered. If it turns out to have been something else, like you were actually traveling for work, or you're secretly an employee of the hotel, or you actually rented the car out on Turo and someone abandoned it at a hotel... in all those cases you aren't going to be covered. Apparently they've been burned a lot on stuff like this, because so many people are entitled assholes (my words, not hers).

They do have additional coverages that can be added to the policy that are oriented toward people who travel with the car on a regular basis. These are NOT required coverages to use the car for travel, but they do add additional benefits that can come in handy if a trip gets interrupted. Those are called 1. Motorsports Advantage and 2. Traveling Collector. The first is designed for folks who travel to attend major motorsports events and might have scenarios arise that they'd like covered, like the use of a golf cart or trip interruption coverages. This cost $20 extra per year, and I added it. The second (Traveling Collector) is for folks who regularly attend large car shows and travel long distances to do so, and adds coverage for things like memorabilia that are often part of that "show and display" pattern of use. That costs $25 extra per year, but doesn't match my pattern of use so I didn't add it.

------

Thanks,
Porter
Great write-up @Porter !

I called again and this time approached it differently. I explained my confusion and quoted you guys that had success with Hagerty and how it differed from what I'd been told. The agent was helpful and assured me that a weekend trip WOULD indeed be covered. Being a little leery still, I asked a few more questions and found there were still some interesting points. As @Porter mentioned, they will perform some due diligence, probably from being burned too often.

She did point out something very interesting about where the car is kept when traveling. She said you needed to be in the immediate proximity of the car. Hmm... She gave an example of if you were camping and it started hailing, what measures did you take to protect the car? Then went on to say that if you parked at a hotel where you were sleeping it was all good. But if you parked the car at the hotel, then went out on the town and left the car there (out of your proximity) it wasn't considered covered. I thought that odd, as many places I would visit I'd probably just walk to a restaurant. Why that makes a difference I don't know because if it's hailing I'm not running out in a storm to throw a blanket on the car.

I went ahead and got quoted and it's only a couple hundred less than my current insurance, so not inexpensive enough to make the switch.

Sorry for any confusion I may have introduced with my original statements regarding Hagerty.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

View attachment 39259

Thanks,
Porter
Porter thank you for that detailed info. I got pretty much the same information when i called.
It also helps if you are currently insured with them and have a good record and credit

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
State Farm just quoted me 1798 annually. I think I may need to change.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Age, driving record, homeowner (or not), where you live, etc. all factor into that. State Farm just sent me the revised quote with $1,000 deductible and it's $108.80 a month which is $1,305.60 a year. I'm 72, driving record is clean, my house and 3 other vehicles are with State Farm, and I'm in a semi-rural area. If I lived in a major city, I'm sure it would be higher. You're in Denver which is a factor. We're also insuring a $100k semi-exotic foreign sports car, so there's that too.

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@Eagle7 true. 47, clean record, everything else insured with them. Still they quoted less in CA

GrahamClark_60-68

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I had State Farm requote me with $1000/$1000 deductibles and only got it down to $195/mo ($2340/yr). :cry: (4 other cars with them, homeowners, and umbrella, and been with them over 30 years).
@Eagle7 "semi-rural area" Well you got that on me. Nuthin much rural about So Cal. And minivans and SUVs now doing over 100 on the freeways is an everyday affair around here.

Last edited: