Emira event in Melbourne

kbhoz

Reaction score
Seeing all these makes me so much more comfortable going with Seneca even though it seems to not be as popular in general across the forum. I think that has a lot to do with Seneca fatigue since launch and also the fact that most of us with deposits seem to be looking for that unique personalized car to stand out. Many probably have a hard time picking the “launch spec” but will be curious to see what the real build numbers look like on decisions once we have full lineups of production cars in all the colors.
The Lotus guys said Seneca is the most popular colour ordered. It looks stunning.

Eagle7

Reaction score
This car is definitely an FE spec. I looked through all the photos that were posted, and I couldn't tell if it had the sport pedals or not. Did anybody by any chance happen to notice?

kbhoz

Reaction score
It was late last night by the time I posted the photos. This morning I wanted to recap and share my thoughts.
a) It is not final production spec but is later than some we have seen previously, better centre screen contrast, the engine/trunk presentation seemed very neat enhanced by a black coolant filler cap.

b) The door handle worked well from the outside once you know where to push it. The wife will need to ensure the nails are not “still drying” or we will end up with paint transfer “nail to car”!

c) I was previously worried about the front hood gap. I am no longer concerned as the actual gap is quite small but obviously you can see the seal. IMHO, it works well and doesn’t shout to the world “I AM A GAP” – it seems somehow discrete but will absorb the energy of the hood when braking. The front “hood” hinges from the front. That’s sensible but appears to be held in by screws. Not too sure if you can jump start the car or trickle charge. Perhaps this needs to be done from the rear trunk? I should have looked if the boot release was electronic.

d) The trunk/boot is quite spacious, I drive a V6 Exige so it’s a huge improvement. We will be able to pack a few good size soft cases in there. Behind the seat is also spacious – I heard one chap say “plenty of space for the dog”!

e) The vents that exit from the front are huge. They need to be with a large radiator and I presume two fans for those days where it 40C and you stuck in traffic. The clever design keeps the front very low.

f) I sat in the drivers seat (Alcantara) and adjusted the steering wheel and powered seat – excellent driving position for me. I’m only 173cm – which according to Wikipedia is the average Brazilian male height. UK and US are 2cm more. No, I am not Brazilian 😊

g) Paint was not final spec – production will be an improvement. It was acceptable.

h) Panel alignment was OK. I pointed out the misalignment where the tail gate meets the rear clam. This can be seen in these photos but also many others I have seen online. This is exactly why they have pre-production off-tool samples to test these types of things. I was assured this will be sorted before final spec is released. In fact, I have seen many recent photos where the alignment is perfect. So I am comfortable it wont be an issue.

i) The gap around the wheel arch is perhaps larger than the some would prefer – but the ride height looks perfect for the rubbish roads we have here in Melbourne Australia. Pot hols galore, speed bumps etc and I have a steep driveway entrance. Perhaps 21” and 22” wheels are planned in the future. I am not troubled by it. It wont be long before after market kits will be available for those who wish to modify the car.

j) The exhaust note was nice and deep at idle. I was told production was “better”!

Overall this is a very special car and I for one think the Lotus team have knocked it out of the park. Of course over the years Lotus will introduce different variants as they always do, but for an FE – I am more than pleased to be taking delivery in about 4 months.

This is what a an average Brazilian chap at 173cm would look like standing next to an Emira.
20220513-IMG_3414 (Large).jpg

DerTheDer

Reaction score
It was late last night by the time I posted the photos. This morning I wanted to recap and share my thoughts.
a) It is not final production spec but is later than some we have seen previously, better centre screen contrast, the engine/trunk presentation seemed very neat enhanced by a black coolant filler cap.

b) The door handle worked well from the outside once you know where to push it. The wife will need to ensure the nails are not “still drying” or we will end up with paint transfer “nail to car”!

c) I was previously worried about the front hood gap. I am no longer concerned as the actual gap is quite small but obviously you can see the seal. IMHO, it works well and doesn’t shout to the world “I AM A GAP” – it seems somehow discrete but will absorb the energy of the hood when braking. The front “hood” hinges from the front. That’s sensible but appears to be held in by screws. Not too sure if you can jump start the car or trickle charge. Perhaps this needs to be done from the rear trunk? I should have looked if the boot release was electronic.

d) The trunk/boot is quite spacious, I drive a V6 Exige so it’s a huge improvement. We will be able to pack a few good size soft cases in there. Behind the seat is also spacious – I heard one chap say “plenty of space for the dog”!

e) The vents that exit from the front are huge. They need to be with a large radiator and I presume two fans for those days where it 40C and you stuck in traffic. The clever design keeps the front very low.

f) I sat in the drivers seat (Alcantara) and adjusted the steering wheel and powered seat – excellent driving position for me. I’m only 173cm – which according to Wikipedia is the average Brazilian male height. UK and US are 2cm more. No, I am not Brazilian 😊

g) Paint was not final spec – production will be an improvement. It was acceptable.

h) Panel alignment was OK. I pointed out the misalignment where the tail gate meets the rear clam. This can be seen in these photos but also many others I have seen online. This is exactly why they have pre-production off-tool samples to test these types of things. I was assured this will be sorted before final spec is released. In fact, I have seen many recent photos where the alignment is perfect. So I am comfortable it wont be an issue.

i) The gap around the wheel arch is perhaps larger than the some would prefer – but the ride height looks perfect for the rubbish roads we have here in Melbourne Australia. Pot hols galore, speed bumps etc and I have a steep driveway entrance. Perhaps 21” and 22” wheels are planned in the future. I am not troubled by it. It wont be long before after market kits will be available for those who wish to modify the car.

j) The exhaust note was nice and deep at idle. I was told production was “better”!

Overall this is a very special car and I for one think the Lotus team have knocked it out of the park. Of course over the years Lotus will introduce different variants as they always do, but for an FE – I am more than pleased to be taking delivery in about 4 months.

This is what a an average Brazilian chap at 173cm would look like standing next to an Emira.
View attachment 5503

In reference to comment C, does that mean the battery is in the front? Also thank you for taking the time to write this.

kbhoz

Reaction score
This car is definitely an FE spec. I looked through all the photos that were posted, and I couldn't tell if it had the sport pedals or not. Did anybody by any chance happen to notice?
I have overexposed one of the interior shots but unfortunately you can only see a small part of the accelerator pedal. The car is off to NSW now so perhaps someone will take a good pic in a few days.
20220513-IMG_3115 (Large).jpg

kbhoz

Reaction score
In reference to comment C, does that mean the battery is in the front? Also thank you for taking the time to write this.
Sorry I should have been clearer, the Exige battery is also in the rear but has +ve and -ve terminal points in the front so you can jump the car from the rear or front. I am not too sure if the Emira has this function. On the Exige you can pop the hood off the outside ie no screws.

DerTheDer

Reaction score
Sorry I should been clearer, the Exige battery is also in the rear but has +ve and -ve terminal points in the front so you can jump the car from the rear or front. I am not too sure if the Emira has this function. On the Exige you can pop the hood off the outside ie no screws.

Interesting....I have an Elise and never thought about front charging. I have the charging ports on my battery and just leave it on a tender from that point. I am guessing your Exige is a later model.

kbhoz

Reaction score
Interesting....I have an Elise and never thought about front charging. I have the charging ports on my battery and just leave it on a tender from that point. I am guessing your Exige is a later model.
2015 V6 350S
1652491755401.png

digilotus

Reaction score
The battery is in the boot behind the battery cover. It is a lead acid, standard size (not Lithium Ion), so it works with a standard charger. I plan to get a CTek charger with those little quick connect plugs that you can permanently leave connected to the battery.

The boot space is all very nicely carpeted and finished, and the engine cover looked really nice with a good fit.

battery-cover-in-boot.png

battery-cover-in-boot2.png

Last edited:

TXEMIRA

Reaction score
The battery is in the boot behind the battery cover. Its a lead acid, standard size (not Lithium Ion) - so it works with a standard charger. I plan to get a CTek charger with those little quick connect plugs that you can permanently leave connected to the battery.

The boot space is all very nicely carpeted and finished, and the engine cover even looked really nice with a good fit.

View attachment 5506
Pretty much the Evora set-up. Hope there’s a bit more room to add the trickle leads if they’re not stock.

digilotus

Reaction score
That what I was thinking and trying to find an interior photo with the door closed (I couldn't)
Here you go! It looks lovely with the door closed.

The door line tapers upwards into the horizontal dash line a bit like the old Esprit interior. The door switches and steering wheel stalks are stolen from Volvo. They have a lovely design and feel to them with some satin chrome accents around the window switches.

The chrome door handle also has a nice feel and is easy to open with one finger (or two).

interior-closed-door.png

digilotus

Reaction score
Pretty much the Evora set-up. Hope there’s a bit more room to add the trickle leads if they’re not stock.
I can't see why they wouldn't fit. The cover has little screw caps and you could poke the charging wire out the side of the battery cover.

digilotus

Reaction score
Fun size LED reverse light

The one thing that always makes me laugh is that "fun size" reverse light. I think in the US spec cars this might become a red reflector (based on what is visible in the latest configurator), and if that's the case I don't know where the reverse light would go instead for US spec cars (perhaps inside the centre area of the rear lights?)

I think its cute and always gets a laugh. Even though it is very very bright, I'm a bit concerned about its visibility to other drivers though! On the other hand, the good news about its location is that the rear camera will work really well at night as the surroundings will be well lit up for the camera to pick up, so that's a definite plus.

What do you think? Like it or not?

fun-size-reverse-light.png

Last edited:

digilotus

Reaction score
Side intake vent and grilles

The latest side intake vent design includes a honeycomb mesh grille to prevent debris and human hands or wildlife going inside. The gloss black mesh grille is identical to the grille used on the front of the car as well as in the rear window vents. Staring down the holes of all the vents doesn't show any visible piping or exposed parts - it all looks finished.

I remember looking down the rear hatch vents in an Evora recently and I saw various alloy tubing and piping which looks a bit like aluminion "airflex" piping for kitchen stoves. Not so in the Emira!

side-intake-vents.png

rear-window-vents.png

front-air-grille.png

DaaS

Reaction score
First of all, a huge thank you for all the insights and pictures. Few questions…

1. Any thoughts around the leather/alcantara combo compared to full leather? Did the interior feel too dark?

2. In person did you find the diamond cut wheels distracting or flower-ish looking?

3. Like many colors, Seneca also changes based on light source and viewing angle. Would you say these photos are a good representation of what the color looked like in person? In some pics, the color is more saturated than others.

4. Which camera/lens combo are you using? 😁

digilotus

Reaction score
First of all, a huge thank you for all the insights and pictures. Few questions…

1. Any thoughts around the leather/alcantara combo compared to full leather? Did the interior feel too dark?

2. In person did you find the diamond cut wheels distracting or flower-ish looking?

3. Like many colors, Seneca also changes based on light source and viewing angle. Would you say these photos are a good representation of what the color looked like in person? In some pics, the color is more saturated than others.

4. Which camera/lens combo are you using? 😁

You're welcome!

As for your questions:

1) I thought the Alcantara seats looked really really nice and had a "race car" feel to them. I obviously have not seen full leather seats so its difficult to compare. I wish they had a car with leather as that is what I ordered.

They have a good level of contrast between the black leather and black alcantara so don't look plain. Even though there wasn't much coloured contrast stitching, the stitching (in this case yellow) did pop without being over the top. One thing I would add is that I would avoid privacy glass with the alcantara seats. Black alcantara absorbs light really well, so looking at the car from the outside, it almost looks like the car has tinted windows given the large amount of internal light absorption (both on the seats and roof).

2) I was concerned about the "flower look" of the Diamond Cut wheels too. It's strange given that on some photos, the diamond cut part of the wheels stand out and makes it look like a wind mill or flower. But in real life this isn't the case. The satin finished inside paint blends in nicely with the satin aluminium front. I really really like them! They do not get lost on the car (like black does) and provide a little bit of bling in a tasteful way and somewhat subtle way.

These photos aren't bad representations of what the human eye sees. All the satin parts of the wheel throw of a white sheen which helps blend it all together with the aluminium. Maybe in strong sunlight the contrast would be larger, but at least on an overcast day they looked really classy.

diamond-cut-wheels.png

The further you look to the side of the wheel the diamond cut pattern starts to totally disappear.

diamond-cut-wheels2.png

diamond-cut-wheels3.png

3) Seneca is such a difficult colour to photograph!

In person it is a really strong blue, not powder blue at all. The more saturated pictures I posted are more true to life. Many cameras capture Seneca as a baby blue (including the Shanghai Seneca showcar) which is so far from what it looks like. I was really surprised at how bold and striking it looks. Think Porsche Shark blue (VW cornflower blue), but a little bit darker and more classy as its a metallic. It has a lovely light silver fleck in the light - almost as if you get two paints in one. A solid flat strong pigmented colour from afar, and a lovely metallic in the light up close. I was pleasantly surprised. If you want to make a statement and be the centre of attention, then Seneca Blue or Hethel yellow will be the ones to get!

4) Just a latest model mobile phone camera! (Not iPhone, better!) I can't give away all my secrets! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: