Emira event in Melbourne

Yachtie

Reaction score
I’ll share one with you after I’ve had some rest! (Currently 2am here - got carried away posting stuff for you guys!) 😀
Thanks for the great pictures and comments it's all looking good! That car is as my spec apart from the fact that I'm not having the upper black pack. Really exited now!. Assuming no more delays, August is going to be FAB!!! :)

JimH

Reaction score
That what I was thinking and trying to find an interior photo with the door closed (I couldn't)
Here's one I found from another car taken earlier in the year (The Goodwood / UK tour show car IIRC)....
EABB7CCF-3A00-4C7D-B18B-5E3329E9FF19.thumb.jpeg.6d2f22a51b189c6db4a286299990dd91.jpeg

TomE

Reaction score
Brilliant work from @digilotus and @kbhoz - EmiraForum's Australian correspondents :)

Great pictures of some of the design details and useful confirmation of several things, like the ambient lighting, exposed shifter and key (really glad they didn't go for that Lynk & Co one).

Also excellent that Lotus finally took a newer car to a roadshow so we can see the latest (nearly final) iteration of the design and materials. It all looks really good.

TomE

Reaction score
As many others have said the Emira looks much better when viewed in person. Sounded great and the quality was top notch (its not a production model).
View attachment 5478

My only concern from this and the other pictures is the black seal used for the bonnet shutline. On some of the pictures from the dealer conference at Hethel, this seemed to accentuate the gap between bumper and bonnet. Your close-up picture shows it very clearly. I'd have thought a concealed seal and narrower shutline would have worked better, or a coloured seal.

bonnet shutline seal.jpg

Last edited:

VL3X

Reaction score
Brilliant work from @digilotus and @kbhoz - EmiraForum's Australian correspondents :)

Great pictures of some of the design details and useful confirmation of several things, like the ambient lighting, exposed shifter and key (really glad they didn't go for that Lynk & Co one).

Also excellent that Lotus finally took a newer car to a roadshow so we can see the latest (nearly final) iteration of the design and materials. It all looks really good.
I couldn't agree more! Thank you both!!

Super excited about these new details!

TomE

Reaction score
Overall road presence

Oh my gosh this car is so wide and mean looking! With the mirrors not folded in, it is almost 2.1m edge to edge. Yes, that makes it wider than a Porsche 911 and wider than some Range Rovers. So keep that in mind if you're planning to use it as a daily on narrow roads.

Having the headlights pushed out to near the edges of the car just increases the impression of it being wide but in a really good way. The front nose tapers down quickly and goes really low. They would have had to do some serious redesign of the styling to fit a storage area in the front! One drawback is that the front bonnet of the car (apart from the wheel haunches and top edge) is not visible from the inside so the front parking sensors will be really critical. I'd love a front camera one day!

It's an absolute animal in terms its visual presence and makes any cayman look so ordinary. I note that the picture below is with the mirrors folded in!

Oh and speaking of side mirrors, the field of view with the mirrors outwards is excellent. You get to see the side air intakes, rear haunches and have a really great view to the back and sides. Excellent mirror design and the placement is perfect.

The Lotus approach to suspension means the wishbones, springs and dampers take up a lot more inboard space than the suspension on a Cayman, so you don't get room for a frunk. I know people coming across from Porsche and other marques may see that as a downside.

It's also true of the Elise, Exige and Evora that you can't see the nose of the car from the drivers seat, just the "Becker points" over the wheels. It does give you a very engaging driving position, as you have a sense of the road being right there in front of you rather than at the end of an expanse of bonnet. To me this is a plus point rather than a drawback and part of what makes a Lotus "for the drivers".

TomE

Reaction score
Sneaky little switch when you open the glovebox

I noticed on some photos shared over the past few months that there's a little button or switch of some kind when you open the glovebox which intrigued me. I thought at first it might be a bonnet opener but wasn't sure.

It is well hidden and I haven't seen anyone take any photos of it as yet - so here goes for all you folks to see.

It looks like there's an option to disable the passenger front and side (seat) airbags if you install a child safety seat (which actually makes sense). Though who would ever install a child seat in an Emira is beyond me...! Must be a regulatory thing.

View attachment 5481
Very useful and will help some people sell the Emira as family transport!

Plus you need to start them young so they grow up with a love of cars (and coffee and bacon rolls)...

DSCN3053.JPG

TomE

Reaction score
These are so good looking, I want to find a high-quality clear film I can put over them so they don't get pitted from bits of sand while driving behind traffic.
PPF works fine on headlights. I have it on my Evora and it's also saved them from the UV degradation and flaking of the top protective layer that's affected some cars.

eclat2emira

Reaction score
Did anyone else spot the black plastic water reservoir cap?! The blue one in previous versions was bugging me!

The Lotus approach to suspension means the wishbones, springs and dampers take up a lot more inboard space than the suspension on a Cayman, so you don't get room for a frunk. I know people coming across from Porsche and other marques may see that as a downside.

It's also true of the Elise, Exige and Evora that you can't see the nose of the car from the drivers seat, just the "Becker points" over the wheels. It does give you a very engaging driving position, as you have a sense of the road being right there in front of you rather than at the end of an expanse of bonnet. To me this is a plus point rather than a drawback and part of what makes a Lotus "for the drivers".
Excellent points Tom, and they both signal very clearly where Lotus's priorities are, which seems to differ from some other sporting marques...

NicolasB

Reaction score
My only concern from this and the other pictures is the black seal used for the bonnet shutline. On some of the pictures from the dealer conference at Hethel, this seemed to accentuate the gap between bumper and bonnet. Your close-up picture shows it very clearly. I'd have thought a concealed seal and narrower shutline would have worked better, or a coloured seal.

View attachment 5487
There's something that won't show on the dark verdant cars!

digilotus

Reaction score
Thanks for the great detail shots and write up! My guess is they still haven’t got the finalized seat in this preproduction car you have? Can you confirm?
On other note that’s really what the keys look like then. I was hoping for another proposal to be chosen, as shown here: https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/how-have-we-missed-this-when-its-hidden-in-plain-sight-(keys).1068/
Yes these were definitely not production seats. They didn’t have the seat back rest 3 embossed areas that some folks on here recently going to Hethel confirmed are now part of the seat design (like the configurator).

I’m glad the key doesn’t look like a cigarette lighter with buttons on the edge like the Lynk & Co 01 key I posted in the other thread.

The Lotus key is nicely tapered to fit in your pocket and hands, with rounded edges which I like. Plus the design of the metal parts match the design language of the bonnet shape.

After all the Lotus talk of porosity, I was kind of expecting the key would have holes in it too after wind tunnel testing but not this time. 🤣

Porter

Reaction score

View attachment 5487
Since the seal does seem to sit below the panel in both cases, I suspect it may be possible to fine-tune the hood alignment to minimize this gap. Possibly even to a level that they would avoid in factory, because it is technically a hinged hood and contact clearance is a concern.

digilotus

Reaction score
Since the seal does seem to sit below the panel in both cases, I suspect it may be possible to fine-tune the hood alignment to minimize this gap. Possibly even to a level that they would avoid in factory, because it is technically a hinged hood and contact clearance is a concern.
I’m not really sure why that seal is there but didn’t think it looked bad.

On the Seneca it is visible and will be most pronounced on light colours like white and yellow, but it’s not as visually jarring or thick as you might think. From a couple of meters away it just looks like a small panel gap. On darker colours you won’t even notice it.

BSC

Reaction score
Just noticed how much aero-flow gaps, and the spacing between the front bonnet and the windscreen

Attachments

• B75BC868-E1F8-4138-AE8E-044452E94CFA.jpeg
    B75BC868-E1F8-4138-AE8E-044452E94CFA.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 1C55403F-0635-4ADC-8450-36982EC1CD35.jpeg
    1C55403F-0635-4ADC-8450-36982EC1CD35.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 102
Reaction score
Seeing all these makes me so much more comfortable going with Seneca even though it seems to not be as popular in general across the forum. I think that has a lot to do with Seneca fatigue since launch and also the fact that most of us with deposits seem to be looking for that unique personalized car to stand out. Many probably have a hard time picking the “launch spec” but will be curious to see what the real build numbers look like on decisions once we have full lineups of production cars in all the colors.