Emira event in Melbourne

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
No point in having heavy gas struts for a bonnet that doesn’t open. It’s only needed for service elements like brake fluid change.

Agreed.. But how much more does a gas hood lift weigh over a traditional prop? A few ounces? I'd rather save the weight elsewhere like not having 12-way power seats.

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Agreed.. But how much more does a gas hood lift weigh over a traditional prop? A few ounces? I'd rather save the weight elsewhere like not having 12-way power seats.
There's nothing under there that needs much access except the brake fluid reservoir which may need a fluid change every 2 years (and assuming it has a level sensor with dashboard alert if low) and maybe a cabin pollen filter (if it's not accessed from inside the car) - even the screenwash bottle is relocated to the rear now....

IMG_3583.PNG

Last edited:

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
There's nothing under there that needs much access except the brake fluid reservoir which may need a fluid change every 2 years (and assuming it has a level sensor with dashboard alert if low) and maybe a cabin pollen filter (if it's not accessed from inside the car) - even the screenwash bottle is relocated to the rear now....

View attachment 5824
#ForTheCarShows

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The Emira will be available for viewing at Lotus Melbourne:
Saturday 4th June 09:00- 14:00
Wednesday 8th – Thursday 9th 08:00 – 17:30

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Emira will be available for viewing at Lotus Melbourne:
Saturday 4th June 09:00- 14:00
Wednesday 8th – Thursday 9th 08:00 – 17:30
Indeed it will, thanks TomE!

I'll be there again so let me know what other details or photos you're after. (y)

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Normally you can push and pull these hand break switches. Means, you can definitely engage and disengage the hand break manually, but I also guess that the car will automatically engage the hand break when you switch it off. Most cars also disengage it automatically if they sense a certain amount of torque in a scenario where you just engage first gear and try to drive off.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You typically pull the switch to engage and push to disengage the park brake and the dash shows when it’s engaged.

I would imagine it also has hill start assist.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Bring back the normal handbrake....

My C63 has that plastic thing you pull out of the lower dash.
I did it once... never again. Took me ages to get the brake off again. Crap.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Does that engage the brake or release it?
Both.

Pull to engage, push to disengage.
(hopefully. In a Cayman it’s the other way round, counterintuitivly)

If it’s like every other electric parking brake I’ve ever used, it will also self-release as you move off, making hill starts really easy.

People seem to get hung up about leccy handbrakes, but after 5 minutes it’s completely logical.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I just realized this will be my first manual trans car with an electronic handbrake. The last one I had/have (have to sell it unfortunately to make room for the Emira) is my 2010 SS Camaro, which still has a traditional lever handbrake.

Going back for the last 50 years, my parking brake procedure was always me putting the trans in neutral, shutting the car off, then putting the trans back into first gear and leaving it that way. Many of the old lever parking brakes weren't strong enough sometimes to hold the car, especially if it was parked on an incline.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I just realized this will be my first manual trans car with an electronic handbrake. The last one I had/have (have to sell it unfortunately to make room for the Emira) is my 2010 SS Camaro, which still has a traditional lever handbrake.

Going back for the last 50 years, my parking brake procedure was always me putting the trans in neutral, shutting the car off, then putting the trans back into first gear and leaving it that way. Many of the old lever parking brakes weren't strong enough sometimes to hold the car, especially if it was parked on an incline.

Same. I'm going to have to get used to the electronic parking brake too. Coincidentally, the only vehicle I've had with one was a Lexus RX350 (2GR-FE ftw). I always leave my manual cars in gear when parked too.