• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

DIY - Oil Change Reference for 2GR-FE

It would be safer to hold it. The funnel doesn't go in to the filler hole by much because of the blocking plate. The funnel will sit there and not tip over, but rather precariously.
Agreed. I held mine the whole time and kept checking with my fingers to make sure it was still seated in the hole.

[edit] My wife would make so many jokes out of the phrasing here. But I'm leaving it anyway.

Agreed. I held mine the whole time and kept checking with my fingers to make sure it was still seated in the hole.

[edit] My wife would make so many jokes out of the phrasing here. But I'm leaving it anyway.
There has to be something better! Someone posted a funnel set with a fitting that screwed into the filler cap, then an elbow, straight tube, another elbow, and finally the hopper. It's kinda pricey and not really sure how stable it is with the weight of oil in it.

There has to be something better! Someone posted a funnel set with a fitting that screwed into the filler cap, then an elbow, straight tube, another elbow, and finally the hopper. It's kinda pricey and not really sure how stable it is with the weight of oil in it.
This one? https://a.co/d/hd30SRC
My concern would be that the pipe is opaque so you'd have no idea you overfilled it until it was already backed up into the funnel.

This one? https://a.co/d/hd30SRC
My concern would be that the pipe is opaque so you'd have no idea you overfilled it until it was already backed up into the funnel.
20 quarts later, calling to his wife...

"Honey, I'm about to go dry in this here 55 gal drum. How many gallons did you say this thing takes again?"

"I said quarts, Harold!"

Okay, I'm in $5 for someone to buy this and test it. Anyone else? @Porter or someone could test it, and it would effectively just be a few bucks more expensive.

Okay, I'm in $5 for someone to buy this and test it. Anyone else? @Porter or someone could test it, and it would effectively just be a few bucks more expensive.
Lol, this thing is absolutely absurd overkill. But I'm game, I'll buy this thing just to have the world's most obnoxiously over-engineered funnel.

I found this one which is essentially the same thing without the case for $31.
https://a.co/d/ifwcO5G
The case is actually quite useful for an engine oil funnel, it's important to keep the dust from collecting on the inner surface of the funnel where a bit of residual oil remains. Dust builds up into a grime and then gets washed into the engine. A clean funnel is important.

The Lisle zigzag funnel with the end caps is great for this reason, no need to keep it wrapped or covered.

I also use Blackstone for my cars. I was going to call them and see how they segregate their averages for the 2GR-FE families. Will our data be compared to averages for Lotus 2GR uses only? Supercharged only? Or all 2GR submissions?
Did Blackstone ever give you an answer on this?

I also use Blackstone for my cars. I was going to call them and see how they segregate their averages for the 2GR-FE families. Will our data be compared to averages for Lotus 2GR uses only? Supercharged only? Or all 2GR submissions?
Finally getting back to myself on this. I contacted Blackstone with the question and this was their reply:

"Your 2024 Lotus Emira would use the same universal averages as the other Toyota 2GR-FE engines that are supercharged (which mostly includes the Evora 400 and GT models). Averages wouldn't be specific to how the engine is tuned, but we'll still have a good basis for comparison.

Just be sure to label that the engine is supercharged on the slip and we'll get it logged in correctly.

And the universal averages are really just used as a baseline comparison. Once trends develop for your specific engine, we'll have a good idea of what normal wear looks like, and averages will fall a bit by the wayside."

Very nice to see that they have been segregating the 2GR-FE data and will continue to do so!

Thought I’d post this here as well for those doing their first oil changes.

IMG_7080.jpeg

$5 per quart is about as low as I’ve seen it… stock up!

Here’s the link: