• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

CAR Mag Sports Car Test 2022- YouTube Video

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder that even an MX5 may have had more glowing reviews then the Emira in this video. I can understand that the Emira is targeted towards a different audience then Lotus of old but we still expect the DNA, which Lotus is renowned for, to be there.
I feel that if they had a cayman GTS, some, not all, but some of the remarks would equally apply.....

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder that even an MX5 may have had more glowing reviews then the Emira in this video. I can understand that the Emira is targeted towards a different audience then Lotus of old but we still expect the DNA, which Lotus is renowned for, to be there.
100%
They waxed lyrical for a long time about the McLarens steering feel and suspension.
The Emiras wasn't even mentioned :cry: Its like it doesn't even have hydraulic steering and double wishbone suspension

OP
L

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This was a road review... so the touring set up made sense. Still when you jump out of GT4rs or mclaren I am sure it's going to feel softer. I agree that handing out a pre-prod car for all these reviews was not a good idea.

Lotus is holding back. I have no doubt that they have better variants waiting to come in and be more competitive. I just want to know if it is 1. Better than a Cayman GTS? (no clear answer here) 2. Better than a Evora 410 Sport?

I guess the Cayman comparison is the most common and most will lean Cayman for it's dealer network, fit/finish. BUT, I want to know from a driving perspective. Will a sport/cup 2 take on a Cayman GTS manual on track? These questions will be answered fairly soon I suppose. Bring on the production cars to end some of these debates!

** by better I mean from a Driving dynamics perspective... not interior/styling.

Last edited:

DPB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’d be interested to know if an Esprit or Evora has ever won a comparison test. Lotus are the perennial underdog in the larger/luxury sports car segment. For a good number of us (Brits particularly) that’s why we’re here.
I will second this. I have always found myself drawn to cars that are not necessarily the mainstream favorites and I like to root for the underdog. I still remember back in the day how my Triumph TR7 was a veritable punching bag in the press - sometimes justifiably so. It never stacked up against others in comparison tests. But you know what? I had a shit ton of fun with that car. I have as many stories of misadventures with "bonnet up" on the side of the road as I do of tooling around mountain roads in New England top-down in the sun. But all together they provide some fond memories.

British sports cars have always held a place in my heart. There is a character they possess, rooted in the people and the places they were designed for. Like those people and places, British sports cars can be quirky and cantankerous at times, but there is something earnest, genuine and endearing that makes them quite special. There is no question that Porsche makes an excellent machine. There is just something more clinical and scientific about their appoach, while Lotus always struck me as more of a rag-tag group of racing mechanics that try to fund their passion by selling a few of their cars to an equally obsessive group of enthusiasts.

In my opinion, like the Esprit that preceded it, the Emira represents one of the premier examples of the genre. Lotus has taken their core competencies in excellent sports car handling and driving experience and wrapped it in a truly world-class styling that puts it amongst some of the most desirable cars in the world. Also like the Esprit before it, I suspect it will be on posters on teenage kids walls next to Ferraris, Lamborghinis and the like. Not too shabby for the underdog!

OP
L

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just history repeating itself and as frustrating as that can be, in our ultra analytical Emira-starved minds, to be somewhat expected. I’d be interested to know if an Esprit or Evora has ever won a comparison test. Lotus are the perennial underdog in the larger/luxury sports car segment. For a good number of us (Brits particularly) that’s why we’re here. As has been said, the important one is really the type 135. I think that has at least a chance of bettering the Porsche equivalent but only time will tell. The Emira’s job is essentially marketing, a very pretty shiny thing is good marketing. I’ve said it before but to me it is the new Esprit, foibles and all.

My checklist FWIW:
Contemporary looks as good as S1 Esprit? ☑️
Driving dynamics and engine close to Evora? ☑️
Flappy paddle track focused big bhp version not (yet) available? ☑️
Ironic/mediocre reviews mean it’s still the underdog I want to support ☑️

As a side note, whilst researching for a potential interim Exige S2, I came across this from good old Jethro, written Jan 2008..

From first para:
“Customers want a genuinely new Lotus, bigger and more powerful but still retaining the core Chapman values of low weight and intelligent use of materials. Customers want a 21st century Esprit…

From last para:
“The bottom line is that I’m still clamouring for the [new] Esprit”

Other than weight (shame I admit) and power (ditto), both Jethro and we are getting the new Esprit. Get your Bond tuxedos not your race suits ready. I for one am happy with that. Call me a tart by all means.

Side note 2: tried to find an in-period Esprit comparison test, a bit. Came across this. The conclusions haven’t changed much..

1987 Car ‘Sensible Supercar Test
“The Lotus was a bit of an oddity”
“The Porsche wins this comparison”

#fortheconsistency
#notlongnow_hopefully
Evora won ECOTY 2009

Meaning this was a winning formula in 2009...

OP
L

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
With ICE cars coming to an end... Porsche did not mess around. Took it's mid engine chassis and started slamming top end 911 engines in it. They threw caution to the wind, when before they would have never outdone big brother 911.

They said screw it, let's make the best we can. They are being rewarded by the enthusiast for showing they care about sports cars. Kudos to them for making these machines....

Lotus has made an incredible looking vehicle. It needed to be sent out into the world with a bit more care and bit more power and bit less weight.... I think I am going to push my allocation to the final V6 version.... Just convinced myself while writing this..... Going to shop for a 997.2 to hold me over

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Call me what you will but I LOVED my 30 minute test drive in this. I’ll wait until I drive a dealer car but this car is AWESOME

NL75dDA.jpg

How many here would give a left nut for a review like this?

Last edited:

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Still going to wait for test drive to make up my own mind, but I’m getting more disheartened by the day. It’s been mentioned many times: expectations were set, and Lotus came up short. The Emira is a dressed up car with a lot of old tech in it, whereas the competition has kept on improving over the last 10+ years. No clue what was going on at Hethel but this was a massive oversight. Is there a chance they will release a “better” variant? Who knows…

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Call me what you will but I LOVED my 30 minute test drive in this. I’ll wait until I drive a dealer car but this car is AWESOME

NL75dDA.jpg

How many here would give a left nut for a review like this?
No thank you! First reason it is ugly and cheap looking. Second reason it does not have a manual option. Friendly call it the grey goatee transporter.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Okay. I finally watched the video. You can tell from the way they described EVERY OTHER CAR at the beginning of each segment, that the Lotus was there simply to be put in its place; last. They might as well have just unzipped their pants and relieved themselves on it to show their 'disappointment' and disdain. They knew from the beginning that was how they were going to place the Lotus. It didn't make the Lotus look bad, it made them look like spoiled rich kids belittling someone who was going to a regular 4 year college instead of the ivy league school they attend. It came across as pure snobbery to me. A group of pretentious, self-important Jethros; just SO disappointed.

Now let's look at what someone said who has a vast amount of experience on and off track, and can probably out-drive all of those guys; Chris Harris. He didn't sugar coat anything, just summed up the Emira by saying the engine was adequate, and the chassis and steering were sublime. He was amazed at how well the car handled British roads and even in the middle of a horrendous rain storm.

Harry who can easily out-snob those guys at Car Magazine if he wanted to; wealthy with a stable of cars including a Rolls Royce. He treats the Emira exactly as the car it is at the price point it's at, saying "It's the Lotus I've always wanted". He's having so much fun driving it, that when he starts to talk about the things that he felt were the flaws, he was enjoying the drive so much he had to remind himself that he was supposed to be talking about the flaws. Harry has an order in for an Emira.

Thirdly is Shmee of all people, who can most certainly out-snob and out-pretentious any of the Car Magazine crew if he chose to. He shows off his garage with millions of dollars worth of cars he owns, so he's not some newbie fresh out of college, enamored with it all while getting his first sports car. His road review was one of the best in my opinion, honestly describing everything he was experiencing, including seat, driving position, steering, handling, sound, even the controls and how they felt including accessibility. He didn't gush over the car like a fan boy, but he clearly was enjoying himself driving it. He has one on order too.

If the Emira was that big of a disappointment, why would guys who have millions of dollars worth of supercars; Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar, etc. want to buy an Emira? It's because Chris, Harry and Shmee all had the same reaction; it was fun to drive, and that's what a sports car should be, especially at the price point the Emira is at. Car Magazine's silliness of showing how they aren't impressed with a sports car that's £79k by comparing it to super cars that are £250k was pathetic really. I wonder how different the comparison would have been if they'd used an Evija instead. Ridiculous to make that comparison? Why yes, yes it is...as was putting the Emira up against those other cars. They couldn't even use a Cayman at the same price point as the Emira; they had to use one that was over £100k.

The reviews I'm really looking forward to are the ones from our own forum members as they start receiving their cars. Real people, real owners, driving and using it in real life. The journalist world has become too much like a cheesed up reality show.

Last edited:

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I’ll take these opinions as gospel, hopefully they drive a 4 sooner than later
I need a cigarette lol
and Makse, Demuro and Motoman

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The delays, the lukewarm reviews out there, the lack of i4 AMG info, the lack of test drives….

All these things are starting to grind me down on my journey to buy the Emira….

Hummmmph….

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I test drove an Evora 410GT a few months ago, black alcantara interior and leather wheel. The seat was comfortable and held me in place but the interior seemed very dark and only so so quality. I'm not a fan of the looks either, particularly the rear three-quarters. It sounded good in sport mode and coped well with British B roads, the steering being sharp and accurate on turn in. I thought it OK but not wow and it wasn't an event for me. I certainly wouldn't pay the £85k for a low mileage example.

More recently I've driven a 718 4.0 GTS. Handsome to look at but not startling and very common on our roads. The interior was also black alcantara, including the wheel. The rim width was good but I prefer leather. The interior was the good quality one expects from Porsche and the seat was comfortable and held me in place. Despite being black inside it seemed much lighter than the Evora. Despite electric steering it was sharp and accurate on turn in, the soundtrack in sport and sport plus terrific and I enjoyed it. I couldn't really fault it but it wasn't an event either, but I would definitely consider buying one at £75k if the Emira doesn't wow me on the test drive.

The Emira has a lot to live up to and I'm reasonably positive that it will. The looks are wow, the interior good enough, hopefully the seats too, but I also want it to have character and be an event every time I get in it. Not long to wait now or should I say soon?

Blue97

Reaction score
Yes , Evora was Evo car of the year 2009. .
Then when Evora given 400 bhp it was compared with GT4 in 2015. Main fault they thought here was too expensive when comparing finish etc. Finally Evo compared to Porsche 992. Evora compared pretty well , 4.5 stars - Surely Emira would have compared better ?