I spent an afternoon with the 420 Sport. Ask me anything?

And you know what they say: they have to prove they have the ‘better’ model because you can own the same looking car for a fraction of the price and P owners dont like that.
That a simplistic stereotype, much like inferring that you can identify a Corvette owner by the "New Balance" shoes, and "jorts.".

It's far from just a Porsche thing. For example, there are C8 models ranging from 495 to 1250HP, and to people who don't follow Corvettes, they can all look more or less the same. However, to someone, who is very familiar with a particular model, they can immediately recognize the differences from design features like scoops, spoilers, wheels, tire sizes wings, etc. The same is true with BMW, MB, and many other brands.

I specifically identified my 911 as a Turbo S (PDK automatic) in this thread because the point I was making is that I find my Emira V6 manual much more fun with regard to driver engagement, despite being down nearly 200HP. If I were comparing it to a 911 T or GT3 (both manuals), I might have said something different, thus which 911 becomes highly relevant.

More often than not, I might just call it a 911 depending upon the subject of the discussion.
 
Last edited:
A "targa" refers to a design where the top comes off in some fashion but the rear window and structure remain fixed. A "convertible"has the rear window going down with the top.

I've always viewed the targa-style as a vehicle with an extra large, removable sunroof.
Too broad. A Targa removes all fixed connection between the a and b pillars. Otherwise it's a sunroof. What we have here is a sunroof. And I know the 964 "Targa" didn't meet my definition, but they also call an electric car a "turbo". Marketing can't define words or there's no meaning to anything.
 
Last edited:
Generally because there are massive performance differences between submodels of 911, and every other Porsche submodel. It's no different than what people generally do with many brands of performance cars. A base BMW or Mercedes model of whatever type is vastly different than the M or AMG versions.
It's a rhetorical question. But you're pointing to the fact that it's a "mine is bigger than yours" thing, which is obviously what it is. Which is sad IMO.
 
It's a rhetorical question. But you're pointing to the fact that it's a "mine is bigger than yours" thing, which is obviously what it is. Which is sad IMO.
That's BS. As I said in post #41, I identified it as a Turbo S to illustrate what might be surprising to many. That is, I prefer my Emira V6 manual to the 911 Turbo S in terms of fun and driver engagement. The Porsche is basically sitting these days, and I would sell it, but I'm holding onto to it for the time being because it is rapidly appreciating.

That 180º the opposite of your quote above. Reading is fundamental.
 
That a simplistic stereotype, much like inferring that you can identify a Corvette owner by the "New Balance" shoes, and "jorts.".

It's far from just a Porsche thing. For example, there are C8 models ranging from 495 to 1250HP, and to people who don't follow Corvettes, they can all look more or less the same. However, to someone, who is very familiar with a particular model, they can immediately recognize the differences from design features like scoops, spoilers, wheels, tire sizes wings, etc. The same is true with BMW, MB, and many other brands.

I specifically identified my 911 as a Turbo S (PDK automatic) in this thread because the point I was making is that I find my Emira V6 manual much more fun with regard to driver engagement, despite being down nearly 200HP. If I were comparing it to a 911 T or GT3 (both manuals), I might have said something different, thus which 911 becomes highly relevant.

More often than not, I might just call it a 911 depending upon the subject of the discussion.
Apologies to OT owner this is very off topic:
Hrmm...isn't this like totally normal to say Turbo S or GT3 or GTS or GT2 RS etc? They are different cars with different purposes. I don't know anyone in my auto circles in Los Angeles (or anywhere) that would call any of those cars a 911 because, that's too vague. I specify to people I have an I4 amg Emira because it's a very different car than the V6 manual or auto. The specificity conveys details about power train, driving experience, cost, performance etc. These are the things that are meaningful as we banter away at car nerd stuff. I would say a 100% of people I know that are car nerds would not say "I drive a Corvette" they always specify the model, year and noticeable mods when they mention or talk about their cars...again isn't this normal? Lol
 
Last edited:
Had an opportunity to drive the 420 Sport around the Bay Area (thank you to Boardwalk Lotus!) for a few hours and got a good feel for the car. If there's anything you've been curious about, ask away and I'll answer what I can. Here's a video of installing the removable roof panel after a drive:


Do you have anything to note about the rear cf hatch that replaced the glass on the older/existing models? Quality, weave, thickness etc. I think that particular new part will be of great interest as some of us figure out what oem parts we'd actually get on our cars
 
That's BS. As I said in post #41, I identified it as a Turbo S to illustrate what might be surprising to many. That is, I prefer my Emira V6 manual to the 911 Turbo S in terms of fun and driver engagement. The Porsche is basically sitting these days, and I would sell it, but I'm holding onto to it for the time being because it is rapidly appreciating.

That 180º the opposite of your quote above. Reading is fundamental.
I see, you think I'm referring to you specifically, through inference on your part. I'm not. Your intent may be different, but as I'm sure you could read in my post asking the question, I didn't ask why YOU stated it. Comprehending is fundamental, reading itself doesn't do much for anyone without it.
 
Last edited:
And as was noted, your inference about Porsche owners was a broad-brush stereotype. Comparisons of different makes and models don't make sense without specific references to their configuration.
 
Last edited:
To get back on topic...

@GetawayDriving , any news or updates on getting the ADAS to be shut off and stay off?
I could hear that warning so many times during your shared 420 review with Autosugar.

Side note: thankfully, I have found that I can turn it off even when already underway...
 
Do you have anything to note about the rear cf hatch that replaced the glass on the older/existing models? Quality, weave, thickness etc. I think that particular new part will be of great interest as some of us figure out what oem parts we'd actually get on our cars

I LOVED it. Looks amazing, seemed high quality. I didn't particularly notice a weight difference when lifting the hatch but I also wasn't paying attention. Visibility is compromised but not gone completely. I'm very tempted myself.
 
To get back on topic...

@GetawayDriving , any news or updates on getting the ADAS to be shut off and stay off?
I could hear that warning so many times during your shared 420 review with Autosugar.

Side note: thankfully, I have found that I can turn it off even when already underway...

I'm sorry I haven't heard an update either way. I turned it off for the vid I made over on instagram but once Roger and I realized it was on for this vid it was almost a bit of comedy to leave it that way. 😂
 
I LOVED it. Looks amazing, seemed high quality. I didn't particularly notice a weight difference when lifting the hatch but I also wasn't paying attention. Visibility is compromised but not gone completely. I'm very tempted myself.
I like some others have a full digital rearview mirror so visibility won't matter...though I would have to somehow prevent all the water overspray going on top of engine compartment when I wash the car but that's first class pain I can deal with lol, ok cool great to hear the hatch is well done
 
I like some others have a full digital rearview mirror so visibility won't matter...though I would have to somehow prevent all the water overspray going on top of engine compartment when I wash the car but that's first class pain I can deal with lol, ok cool great to hear the hatch is well done
Here's a detail shot

1787336495961.webp
 
It's a rhetorical question. But you're pointing to the fact that it's a "mine is bigger than yours" thing, which is obviously what it is. Which is sad IMO.
He is not doing that at all. If he didnt wrote what 911 he was comparing it to, I would have asked. Weird take on your side, especially in a cars enthuasiastic forum community…
 
How’s the Bluetooth ? Do you have voice control, NAV, and manual SOS?
 
Is the glass roof very hot inside?
 

Titanium exhaust and finishers, any guesses on who makes it for Lotus?​


When the rear hatch becomes available for purchase... TAKE more of my money LOTUS. And GRP start sourcing a place to make the side piano black parts (vents) in carbon too. And another question about the hatch was the underside "finished" or ruff carbon?
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →
Back
Top