• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

CAR Mag Sports Car Test 2022- YouTube Video

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Other people gotta realize this too right? I mean, it's not even a fair competition. I can see the Emira vs the Cayman GTS, sure.. But not the GT4 and certainly not the GT4 RS. 🙄 There others are 2-4x the cost.

Either way these BS comparisons aren't helping the Emira or Lotus at all. Why do they keep giving out pre-prod cars to journalists? 😡
Does nobody understand the concept of fun at any price point! 😂 It's still a review of the car!
"Performance Car of the Year 2021: Toyota GR Yaris | Auto Express" https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/yaris/355448/performance-car-year-2021-toyota-gr-yaris?amp

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The 2GR is a great engine. It's low on torque and that supercharger isn't the best. It's reliable power, but not gonna throw you back into the seat. I'm seriously considering throwing my warranty right out the window for a built trans, upgraded supercharger, tune, and some KW V3s. Just gotta find a way or someone who can crack the ecu to tune for the mods. Figure ~$15k in mods on top of the ~$100k msrp and you'll have an Emira pushing 500HP that'll eat exotics twice it's price tag... and look better while doing it too!

But then again I don't really love the idea of buying a $100k exotic sportscar just to modify it, void the warranty, and kill resale value. If I wanted another tuner car, I should just buy a manual Supra or Z again. o_O
REMEMBER... if you decide to do something like this, it's going to put out more heat, so you're going to have to improve the engine cooling. Pay attention to the engine compartment temperatures including the exhaust and catalytic convertor temps. You'll also probably need to replace the radiator in the front with a more efficient, higher capacity unit and a cooling fan, along with possibly a greater capacity, more efficient water pump. Oil and trans temps can become an issue too.

What you're really looking for is power to weight ratio. For $15k you could remove a fair amount of weight by replacing the 12-way power seats with carbon fiber seats, replace the deck lids with carbon fiber, get lighter wheels, titanium exhaust, etc. As Colin Chapman said: "Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Removing weight makes you faster everywhere." Weight reduction will give you the performance improvement without the heat penalty of adding power or the expense of having to deal with that.

If you really want to get into it, go through the car and replace all the metal bolts, washers, nuts and fasteners with high-strength aluminum ones, or titanium where necessary. Go through the car and see what all you'll need. Get the replacements and weigh all of them together. Then start replacing the factory hardware. After replacing all the factory hardware, take all of those and weigh them together like you did with the replacements. You'd be surprised at how much weight all that hardware adds up to. There are things you can do to improve performance without gutting the car or creating new problems, if you find you want more performance once you get your car.

Moderator edit: this discussion on weight saving continues in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Folks, I've move the posts about weight saving into a new thread:

Let's keep this thread about the Emira reviews 👍

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus take a different approach to ride and handling than many others. A very stiff chassis with suspension travel and initial body roll that then firms up don't make a car "soft", they make the ride compliant on a wide variety of surfaces.

Touring isn’t soft. Sports isn’t stiff.

If your yardstick for a sportscar or supercar is something that has to rattle your teeth on UK public roads, you've missed the point of great ride and handling design.
I had an S1 111S Elise before the Exige and it was a way better all round car for the road. Very forgiving and rewarding without needing to be some sort of driving god (or someone who thinks he/she is)!!!

Baby Elan is same. Comfortable, loads of body roll long travel suspension big old side walls. An absolute hoot at 'tarmac shredding' 50mph.....

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Does anyone have a copy of the print version of this test? I thought someone posted it earlier but now I can't find it.

I'm trying to assemble a few specific observations about the suspension from several different reviews, and there was a quote in this one about body control that I can't find now.