CAR Mag Sports Car Test 2022- YouTube Video

OP
L

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Ya that was probably up there with Jethro... I mean it's clearly not in the same class as that competition... But that was fairly brutal... He says the majority of "dissenting voices" against the Emira

TRX250EX

Reaction score
Very good choice of cars, I agree with verdict tbh (including what they said about Emira), I wasn't expecting it to be best driver's car this year anyway, Lotus needed to work alot harder if they wanted that to happen specially in Powertrain + Transmission parts, competition is just too strong now that ICE will die soon everyone pushing to the limits........

Considering the price it's a win for Lotus for the fact it's even in this video alone, the 765LT though is just amazing, I was hoping I would get allocation for it however it was tough and now all delivered except 3 convertibles soon will reach it's owners in my dealer....

I wanna see how Radford Type 62-2 will do in these sort of tests, will DCT + upgraded V6 make the difference? I hope so.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Very good choice of cars, I agree with verdict tbh (including what they said about Emira), I wasn't expecting it to be best driver's car this year anyway, Lotus needed to work alot harder if they wanted that to happen specially in Powertrain + Transmission parts, competition is just too strong now that ICE will die soon everyone pushing to the limits........

Considering the price it's a win for Lotus for the fact it's even in this video alone, the 765LT though is just amazing, I was hoping I would get allocation for it however it was tough and now all delivered except 3 convertibles soon will reach it's owners in my dealer....

I wanna see how Radford Type 62-2 will do in these sort of tests, will DCT + upgraded V6 make the difference? I hope so.
When is the first production Radford due do we know?

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well after that, I think I will change my order for a McLaren, its only an extra £230K which is chump change at the end of the day to get an extra gear in the gearbox. I have been worrying recently that my six speed auto Emira will be lacking gears, so this will fix that. The enhanced 0-60 on the McLaren will save valuable time when accelerating on the slip road to join the M6 prior to the usual snarl up around junction 17/18.

OP
L

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That Radford 62-2 is something else... I have been following what they have done with the car. It's pretty much an Exige dialled up to 11. The Gold leaf and JPS special edition's with over 600 BHP+ in an Exige! Those must be insane to drive. Most people have only seen the ducktail version... But my word the one without the ducktail looks so clean. Special car but it is 450K + USD.
Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 4.42.18 PM.png

OP
L

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Shock horror 66k GBP car isn't as good as cars costing 2,3 and 4 times more. Coming next week why the Dacia Duster isn't as good as a Rolls Royce Culiman..
Very true... It's still looks far better than a cayman at least. But, yes those vehicles do not compete with the Emira.

I will say tho, in the past this test always mixed super cars and more normal sports cars... take a look at last years

***Spoiler - Super cars win most of time (usually its a Ferrari) ****

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Last week I rewatched the movie Almost Famous. There’s a scene where the fictional rock band receives their first T-shirts, and it focuses on the more-handsome guitarist. The band is pissed and says, “Your looks are becoming a problem!”

It seems that maybe the Emira‘s looks are a problem. It looks like a supercar, and so it keeps getting tossed up against cars outside of its class. If I spent all day bombing around in $300k machinery and then hopped into a car costing that much less, I’d notice all of the flaws too.

It’s very strange. I’ve been pursuing an Evora 400 while I wait, and so I’ve watched a LOT of Evora content these past few days. Almost every Evora review feature’s the reviewer’s O-face as they have a little crisis. I saw one guy fall in love in real time. He didn’t have to say anything, it was all over his face. So what’s happened? The Emira is lighter than the Evora, has a wider track, about equal power, about equal redline, and is significantly upgraded in styling, materials and fitment. How can 1+1=less than 1?

The only thing I can think of is… expectations. Reviewers and us lot alike are carrying super lofty expectations, perhaps stoked by supercar looks. The Evora was the perpetual underdog, and so expectations were regularly exceeded. I guess I’m most concerned about how it measures up against the Evora - so where is that comparison video?

Last edited:

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I can't even take this review serious. The GT4RS has a freaking roll cage of course it'll be stiffer than the Emira. Lots of nit picking about the old engine/super charger/not enough power but they want to look forward to the automatic DTC with 360hp? Do they think it'll like automatically be better just because of the transmission?

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Last week I rewatched the movie Almost Famous. There’s a scene where the fictional rock band receives their first T-shirts, and it focuses on the more-handsome guitarist. The band is pissed and says, “Your looks are becoming a problem!”

It seems that maybe the Emira‘s looks are a problem. It looks like a supercar, and so it keeps getting tossed up against cars outside of its class. If I spent all day bombing around in $300k machinery and then hopped into a car costing that much less, I’d notice all of the flaws too.

It’s very strange. I’ve been pursuing an Evora 400 while I wait, and so I’ve watched a LOT of Evora content these past few days. Almost every Evora review feature’s the reviewer’s O-face as they have a little crisis. I saw one guy fall in love in real time. He didn’t have to say anything, it was all over his face. So what’s happened? The Emira is lighter than the Evora, has a wider track, about equal power, about equal redline, and is significantly upgraded in styling, materials and fitment. How can 1+1=less than 2?

The only thing I can think of is… expectations. Reviewers and us lot alike are carrying super lofty expectations, perhaps stoked by supercar looks. The Evora was the perpetual underdog, and so expectations were regularly exceeded. I guess I’m most concerned about how it measures up against the Evora - so where is that comparison video?
Agree, it should apparently be more average looking so it's compared with Alpine and GTS.

I think reviewers are like IPhone users and get used to the latest tech. So the Emira feels like the IPhone 10 instead of whatever latest there is. I wish the reviewers could not see the cars whatsoever and then judge the older enthusiast-loved Porsches and BMWs and see what their commentary looks like. I'm sure the E46 M3 is a dog, etc.

OP
L

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I can't even take this review serious. The GT4RS has a freaking roll cage of course it'll be stiffer than the Emira. Lots of nit picking about the old engine/super charger/not enough power but they want to look forward to the automatic DTC with 360hp? Do they think it'll like automatically be better just because of the transmission?
To be devil's advocate here... Ya from a performance standpoint the i4 will be better.... even de-tuned. When it gets tuned up in future variants it may very well start to compete with a GT4RS.... imagine that i4 with 450-500 BHP and lighter more track focused config....

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

It’s very strange. I’ve been pursuing an Evora 400 while I wait, and so I’ve watched a LOT of Evora content these past few days. Almost every Evora review feature’s the reviewer’s O-face as they have a little crisis. I saw one guy fall in love in real time. He didn’t have to say anything, it was all over his face. So what’s happened? The Emira is lighter than the Evora, has a wider track, about equal power, about equal redline, and is significantly upgraded in styling, materials and fitment. How can 1+1=less than 2?

It does seem strange that the sum of the parts isn't equalling a highly competent car for some reviewers.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Very true... It's still looks far better than a cayman at least. But, yes those vehicles do not compete with the Emira.

I will say tho, in the past this test always mixed super cars and more normal sports cars... take a look at last years

***Spoiler - Super cars win most of time (usually its a Ferrari) ****

Yup it's not an outright comparison test. Its a mini test accross price points of cars they have previously rated
Same way EVO and Auto Express have their car of the year
(had to put this one in sorry 😉)
Screenshot_20220815-220718_Google.jpg

OP
L

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

A direct comparison between Evora and Emira would be a good watch. Although every reviewer that brought up Evora did say Emira was better in every way.... So there is that.

I get where they are coming from on not comparing them.... Imagine Mercedes compared the old SL from 2017 to the new one they just launched... It wouldn't make sense. New model, needs to be compared to the new competition. Basically a Cayman, Alpine, C8.

I am starting to believe that there may be some strange issues.... Hopefully production spec cars sort most of it out.