• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

CAR Mag Sports Car Test 2022- YouTube Video

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
To be devil's advocate here... Ya from a performance standpoint the i4 will be better.... even de-tuned. When it gets tuned up in future variants it may very well start to compete with a GT4RS.... imagine that i4 with 450-500 BHP and lighter more track focused config....
I agree. It's just a shame we have to wait, which is my main gripe.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Last week I rewatched the movie Almost Famous. There’s a scene where the fictional rock band receives their first T-shirts, and it focuses on the more-handsome guitarist. The band is pissed and says, “Your looks are becoming a problem!”

It seems that maybe the Emira‘s looks are a problem. It looks like a supercar, and so it keeps getting tossed up against cars outside of its class. If I spent all day bombing around in $300k machinery and then hopped into a car costing that much less, I’d notice all of the flaws too.

It’s very strange. I’ve been pursuing an Evora 400 while I wait, and so I’ve watched a LOT of Evora content these past few days. Almost every Evora review feature’s the reviewer’s O-face as they have a little crisis. I saw one guy fall in love in real time. He didn’t have to say anything, it was all over his face. So what’s happened? The Emira is lighter than the Evora, has a wider track, about equal power, about equal redline, and is significantly upgraded in styling, materials and fitment. How can 1+1=less than 2?

The only thing I can think of is… expectations. Reviewers and us lot alike are carrying super lofty expectations, perhaps stoked by supercar looks. The Evora was the perpetual underdog, and so expectations were regularly exceeded. I guess I’m most concerned about how it measures up against the Evora - so where is that comparison video?

I think you have hit the nail on the head there.
The Emira looks like it should be twice the car the Evora was.
BUT it's a bit heavier, a bit less powerful, a bit quieter, a bit less raw and a bit less focused. I expected the marginal gains to be ithe other way around when it launched in favour of the Emira.
The Evora has always been well recieved and used to be compared to the 911, not the Cayman and favourably so as well.
So turn the clock forward a few years, where the competition has moved on significantly and I think reviewers are struggling to see where the improvements are bar the obvious looks and amenities.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think you have hit the nail on the head there.
The Emira looks like it should be twice the car the Evora was.
BUT it's a bit heavier, a bit less powerful, a bit quieter, a bit less raw and a bit less focused. I expected the marginal gains to be ithe other way around when it launched in favour of the Emira.
The Evora has always been well recieved and used to be compared to the 911, not the Cayman and favourably so as well.
So turn the clock forward a few years, where the competition has moved on significantly and I think reviewers are struggling to see where the improvements are bar the obvious looks and amenities.
It's a good point you raise. Perhaps the age old ingredients used in the Evora are past their sell by date and the car isn't to today's high standards. I'm not sure what Lotus of old are like and haven't driven a Porsche so i can only go on the test drive as we all are.

OP
L

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's a good point you raise. Perhaps the age old ingredients used in the Evora are past their sell by date and the car isn't to today's high standards. I'm not sure what Lotus of old are like and haven't driven a Porsche so i can only go on the test drive as we all are.
This^^^ is starting to look likely

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I just got home and watched it, after an Emira fan from Holland had sent me the link, already having said at that point he would now prefer a porche.... to which I answered, as all of you did, this isn't a comparison test... there is no comparison at those price points and add to that the actual availability of the other cars, who can order a GT4 RS? Not many on here I bet.... not a case of waiting, a case of Porsche will not sell us one direct full stop, if they would, I think we'd be crazy not to get one.

Anyway, after having driven the car now myself, I am not disappointed with the review, nor am I surprised as there were no surprises in there if you have listened to other feedback. We know, and I highlighted with a video I think, some of the Volvo bits on the interior, for the AC for example; they are second rate and not worthy of 80k or even 60k. The seats, 100% did not hold me in place on the corners, way too much lateral movement, I highlighted this too and I think others have also. The pedal travel depends on the actual car I think, which it shouldn't, but there you go. Finally, they ran this test for "fun" and they get/take a touring model, makes zero sense.... No surprise it wont compare with a 100% sport, stiff GT4 etc.
There is nothing new in this video at all, 5 mins dedicated to the Lotus. He doesn't really slate it and hes not arrogante in his attitude like our other friend, so I personally dont mind it at all, its all true and you will see this when you drive the car. This doesnt mean its bad, its just NOT a GT4 RS, but nothing at that price point is...!

OP
L

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In honesty @emiraspain 's review of his track day at Hethel does sound pretty close to this review as well. However, I will wait for final spec cars. There seems to be certain things that may be rectified in the final production. Maybe the best version is still coming... Like EVERY reviewer continues to say.... So I digress from further complaining...

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Do they think it'll like automatically be better just because of the transmission?

Well, yes. As do I

daniel heald

Reaction score
Shock horror 66k GBP car isn't as good as cars costing 2,3 and 4 times more. Coming next week why the Dacia Duster isn't as good as a Rolls Royce Culiman..
I am with you completely. Lets take a first year 718, 718 was the name chosen to highlight the beauty of the flat four racers from the fifties, and drop that car in the test. Wipe out, a full garage sale, not even close.
I know dismiss this comment because the video was about new cars for 2022. The Lotus is in a completely different price point.
Next a small issue for me might just be the GT4RS has the interior of a seven year old car. I do not understand a bit of Porsche leather which in my boxster was like an old boot excuses the same interior as the flat four base model, but twice the price, and then there is Porker marketing, Sorry sir, the GT4RS is a reward for regular long time customers.

Next I go on about this but the cup holders suck. Take a pop at me for this by all means, I want a road car not a track day special and cup holders that do not hold the cup and worse will not return to housing with regular use is a very valid critiism.

Lets get real this was a miss match. I get more driving fun from my 124 spyder than my Vantage. So this video is hot air for me.

Last edited:

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got home and watched it, after an Emira fan from Holland had sent me the link, already having said at that point he would now prefer a porche.... to which I answered, as all of you did, this isn't a comparison test... there is no comparison at those price points and add to that the actual availability of the other cars, who can order a GT4 RS? Not many on here I bet.... not a case of waiting, a case of Porsche will not sell us one direct full stop, if they would, I think we'd be crazy not to get one.

Anyway, after having driven the car now myself, I am not disappointed with the review, nor am I surprised as there were no surprises in there if you have listened to other feedback. We know, and I highlighted with a video I think, some of the Volvo bits on the interior, for the AC for example; they are second rate and not worthy of 80k or even 60k. The seats, 100% did not hold me in place on the corners, way too much lateral movement, I highlighted this too and I think others have also. The pedal travel depends on the actual car I think, which it shouldn't, but there you go. Finally, they ran this test for "fun" and they get/take a touring model, makes zero sense.... No surprise it wont compare with a 100% sport, stiff GT4 etc.
There is nothing new in this video at all, 5 mins dedicated to the Lotus. He doesn't really slate it and hes not arrogante in his attitude like our other friend, so I personally dont mind it at all, its all true and you will see this when you drive the car. This doesnt mean its bad, its just NOT a GT4 RS, but nothing at that price point is...!
Did you drive a final product, or another preproduction model? I am hoping they “lotus work out the inconsistencies, all the reviews state that they are on preproduction seats. If we get the best brakes top gear ⚙️ white car, best adjusted gear box, and the seats are better as stated, then some of us will be happy.
As a whole we are getting what is expected.
1. Reliable Toyota engine not a Porsche 6 or a Chevy flat crank V8, but that’s what we’re paying for.
2. Fun handling sports car with exotic looks.
3. Exclusivity, Corvette makes 35k + a year, porsche makes 20k-30k depending on which models you count.
If you want more pay up.
The problem NOTHING looks as good! It a super model. Nothing comes close at the price. Ferrari 350k Mclearn 300k Aston Martin, Maserati doesn’t look as good.
life not perfect.

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just history repeating itself and as frustrating as that can be, in our ultra analytical Emira-starved minds, to be somewhat expected. I’d be interested to know if an Esprit or Evora has ever won a comparison test. Lotus are the perennial underdog in the larger/luxury sports car segment. For a good number of us (Brits particularly) that’s why we’re here. As has been said, the important one is really the type 135. I think that has at least a chance of bettering the Porsche equivalent but only time will tell. The Emira’s job is essentially marketing, a very pretty shiny thing is good marketing. I’ve said it before but to me it is the new Esprit, foibles and all.

My checklist FWIW:
Contemporary looks as good as S1 Esprit? ☑️
Driving dynamics and engine close to Evora? ☑️
Flappy paddle track focused big bhp version not (yet) available? ☑️
Ironic/mediocre reviews mean it’s still the underdog I want to support ☑️

As a side note, whilst researching for a potential interim Exige S2, I came across this from good old Jethro, written Jan 2008..

From first para:
“Customers want a genuinely new Lotus, bigger and more powerful but still retaining the core Chapman values of low weight and intelligent use of materials. Customers want a 21st century Esprit…

From last para:
“The bottom line is that I’m still clamouring for the [new] Esprit”

Other than weight (shame I admit) and power (ditto), both Jethro and we are getting the new Esprit. Get your Bond tuxedos not your race suits ready. I for one am happy with that. Call me a tart by all means.

Side note 2: tried to find an in-period Esprit comparison test, a bit. Came across this. The conclusions haven’t changed much..

1987 Car ‘Sensible Supercar Test
“The Lotus was a bit of an oddity”
“The Porsche wins this comparison”

#fortheconsistency
#notlongnow_hopefully

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Side note 2: tried to find an in-period Esprit comparison test, a bit. Came across this. The conclusions haven’t changed much..

1987 Car ‘Sensible Supercar Test
“The Lotus was a bit of an oddity”
“The Porsche wins this comparison”

#fortheconsistency
#notlongknow_hopefully
Love that write up, takes me back to when car tests were proper car tests 🥰😂 May have to revisit my CAR and Performance Car back catalogue 😁

I think it is a bit of a shame that they didn't just call the Emira the 'Esprit'
Sets the tone for the car and you know exactly what type of car you are getting. If they could have sourced a small block V8 for it upping the price a little but giving it that nod to the past and more grunt that would have been amazing in conjunction with the i4 for the Base.
I know this wouldn't have been easy (or even possible in todays modern world), but it would have elevated it and also separated it from all of the Evora comparisons however.

Reactions: Pav

Beady

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you ignore the 'comparison' element of this (which is clearly flawed) and just watch the Emira section as a stand alone review it is pretty consistent with many other reviews. It seems the journalists generally want it to do well but it simply does not live up to the expectations.
As a review of an £80k car it is again disappointing and something does seem to have gone wrong as it should be better than an Evora but doesn't appear to be.
Again lotus supply a touring spec car for a magazine test which is simply negligent.
The comment about the auto version being from 2003, could easily apply to the whole engine and gearbox which are essentially same as an Evora from 2009, albeit with a supercharger added.
I love the looks and I am sure for 99% of people it will drive / handle as good as anything but the consistency of 'average' reviews (i don't think any of the reviews have really been bad and of course the Harris & Harry ones were good) is concerning.

I am still waiting to see a DV car in the flesh (or even an official photo would be nice) and take a test drive; Hopefully this will bring my enthusiasm back, but at present my desire for this car it as a low point, which is a little sad given that I have an October build date and so excitement should be now approaching fever pitch.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
In honesty @emiraspain 's review of his track day at Hethel does sound pretty close to this review as well. However, I will wait for final spec cars. There seems to be certain things that may be rectified in the final production. Maybe the best version is still coming... Like EVERY reviewer continues to say.... So I digress from further complaining...
I am not sure what can be fixed at this stage in all honesty, very few staff around recently at the factory.

We've certainly been promised the seats were getting better, but I honestly cant remember if they were talking about lowering them, making them firmer, the lumber or what at this point....but it really didn't seem like a big or even small change, instead a marginal one at best, so I have limited hope there :(.

Every time I see these reviews I cant stop thinking over and over again, why why why....... give people cars that they know have issues, first impressions are KEY. Who else gives development cars to press____? THey gained nothing by doing this instead of waiting another month or even 2 at this stage! I have no idea what they were trying to achieve here other than damaging the cars initial reputation.... a terrible decision IMHO! Give them your very best cars, you only have ONE chance to make a 1st impression!! THis should have been after getting driving feedback from others already having driven them.....
THey had HARRY, who seems a top bloke, sat in the damn car, being driven around the hethel track, why the hell (insurance asside) would you not have said to him,

"do you want a sneak drive Harry?"
"core blimey, I'd be chuffed, that would be chuffing great."
"Okay, but cameras off, mic off."
"No problem! Lets go!"
"Soooo, what did you think after that 15 mins drive around the track and factory site."
"Well, I did feel a bit slung around in the seat, the pedal travel seemed a bit.... changing gear at 6500 revs was a tiny bit....... but I loved it. Thanks for that."

15 mins and a top reviewers feedback for free, the price of a tea and biscuits...... Even if it was against the insurance, I am 100% sure there would be a way around it. Harry was involved in the development of the project 8... you're not telling me he didnt get to drive it before the press did.

My other concern, but its hard to be sure about it with a helmet on, was the power of the AC.... It didnt feel that great at top wack, but as I said, clearly a helmet, although visor down, will have tainted my sensitivity to it. And I guess I have the memory of the Elise cool breeze at best in my mind, worrying me.

Roll on the dealership cars, although even there, we are now passed the middle of August and still zero news on dates for test drives despite cars meant to be arriving in week 2 and 3 *we are now in week 3. Where is the good news_ ? 😩

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Did you drive a final product, or another preproduction model? I am hoping they “lotus work out the inconsistencies, all the reviews state that they are on preproduction seats. If we get the best brakes top gear ⚙️ white car, best adjusted gear box, and the seats are better as stated, then some of us will be happy.
As a whole we are getting what is expected.
1. Reliable Toyota engine not a Porsche 6 or a Chevy flat crank V8, but that’s what we’re paying for.
2. Fun handling sports car with exotic looks.
3. Exclusivity, Corvette makes 35k + a year, porsche makes 20k-30k depending on which models you count.
If you want more pay up.
The problem NOTHING looks as good! It a super model. Nothing comes close at the price. Ferrari 350k Mclearn 300k Aston Martin, Maserati doesn’t look as good.
life not perfect.
I drove the none final production cars, which I told them was a bad idea in terms of marketing for the cars.... some on here said it doesnt matter, you're just darting around a track, BUT I totally disagree. THis is your first drive of a new car that you may have on order or be thinking about ordering, 1st impressions, as I keep saying, matter a lot to a lot of people and that means a lot and yes I know I have said a lot quite a lot.
Im not sure sure the seats will get too much better if Im honest. I feel they are designed for Gav, who is a little on the stocky side we can say and I am sure he fits in them just great.... but for the slimmer ones of us, I have a suspicion we may struggle with lateral movement, which would be a shame.
The rest of the car is perfectly ... more or less... fine for the price range it is in and as you correctly say, no one doubts the looks are well out of that range. The exclusivity will also be a factor as it will be a while before there are too many on the road.....

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
As a review of an £80k car it is again disappointing and something does seem to have gone wrong as it should be better than an Evora but doesn't appear to be.
Again lotus supply a touring spec car for a magazine test which is simply negligent.
I think at this point for road reviews Lotus cannot win either way, the Sports with Goodyear is considered too hard and the Touring too soft. With soft front end turn in on both.
Only thing we haven't heard much about is the Sports with Cup 2 tyres and alleged revised geometry. Maybe that is the missing link..

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder that even an MX5 may have had more glowing reviews then the Emira in this video. I can understand that the Emira is targeted towards a different audience then Lotus of old but we still expect the DNA, which Lotus is renowned for, to be there.