• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Anyone else just drive around in Track mode all the time?

nimbusblack

Reaction score
I prefer the engine responsiveness, the idle sound, the exhaust sound and im not driving like an idiot around corners or roundabouts so i just love Track mode. Unless i parking and then i put it into Sport or Tour cos its a little tooo eager on the throttle for slow maneuvering :/

I prefer the engine responsiveness, the idle sound, the exhaust sound and im not driving like an idiot around corners or roundabouts so i just love Track mode. Unless i parking and then i put it into Sport or Tour cos its a little tooo eager on the throttle for slow maneuvering :/
I also hardly ever drive on the stand track, although this is the most obvious stand, sound and driving experience. But I don't really know if this mode is suitable for public roads? What if it rains or is slippery like in autumn and winter, does the car react like on ice or not? Because that is not really clear, I almost never put it on track mode.

I also hardly ever drive on the stand track, although this is the most obvious stand, sound and driving experience. But I don't really know if this mode is suitable for public roads? What if it rains or is slippery like in autumn and winter, does the car react like on ice or not? Because that is not really clear, I almost never put it on track mode.
there is still great traction from the rear tyes in Track mode as long as you're not booting it turning out of a bend or anyway you're not facing straight ahead.

I had an M4 competition and that was scary in the damp but the Emira feels very planted and 'safe' though like i said im still careful.

I also have the Tour setup with the Goodyear Eagles, maybe they are better for grip on roads with mixed weather.

yes of course what a daft question

and the windows down so we don't feel left out having the engine music piped in through the windows and not the speakers :rolleyes:

I feel like Sport is enough for the responsive throttle map and sound. Is there really a difference in sound besides in idle due to the increased rpms?

I feel like Sport is enough for the responsive throttle map and sound. Is there really a difference in sound besides in idle due to the increased rpms?
I never thought so but I have a valve controller and I swear even valves fully open all the time there's more bubbles and pops in track 🤔

This is my experience. Mine is a V6 auto FE. In the automatic version the car is completely different on the various modes because of how it changes gear in auto mode. In tour is perfect for Italian cities where you're always going slow and stop at traffic lights. On the highway I put it in sport. I put it in track only when I drive in the Alps or on fast roads. In track mode the auto gear change is beautiful and most of the times I don't use manual mode. Sometimes it just reads my mind when to change and me and the car just whisper to each other what to do. I love her on fast twisty roads on track mode.

I’m usually in Track mode as I like the throttle response. It rarely rains in AZ and it seems like it’s always 100 degrees so tractions a non issue. If I’m feeling conservative on the freeways I will flip it to your mode.

I'm a recent convert, to almost always driving in track mode and my Emira is a daily driver that's yet to see an actual track. I was driving in sport mode, but switched for fun and then got hooked: it's more responsive with a deeper exhaust note, compared to sport. And yes, some of the "nannies" (aka: monitoring computers) are shut off or muted in track mode, so I don't plan to continue using track mode when the roads are wet, the temperatures/roads are colder (firming up the tire rubber compound) or if there's light snow falling, which will eventually happen in my area, around the end of October. I don't plan to drive the Emira in the "winter months" but with all-seasons on it now, it should handle OK on light snow in tour mode, before I'm "forced" to park it and start driving my all-wheel drive sedan equipped with winter grips.

I drive in Sports all the time. There’s a lot of country roads near me and driving in track is pretty risky, especially when even slightly wet. I accidentally had it in track mode not long after buying it and nearly lost it on a bend.

Who would drive it in the winter?

Maybe a set of snow tires could extend your Emira driving season to all 12 months, instead of the usual 3 months of warm weather in Canada ;) In all seriousness I'm in relatively cold Chicago and have been toying with the idea of a second set of wheels and tires myself.

As for the question posed in the thread, I'm in Sport the majority of the time......just in Track to fuck around here and there.

Maybe a set of snow tires could extend your Emira driving season to all 12 months, instead of the usual 3 months of warm weather in Canada ;) In all seriousness I'm in relatively cold Chicago and have been toying with the idea of a second set of wheels and tires myself.

As for the question posed in the thread, I'm in Sport the majority of the time......just in Track to fuck around here and there.

Having been to Chicago a couple times, I know your weather and that it can be COLD and with snow, with the extra level of humidity creating a challenge when combined with any wind that seems to bite right through you...

I know a few brave souls who drive their sport cars year round in Canada, but it takes extra skill and caution and all the proper set-up like winter tires and extra weight (if possible) for even better traction. Most of those who do, are in all-wheel drive sport cars. You need extra skill with a rear-wheel drive vehicle, like the Emira.

I'd never do it:

-we can get freeze/thaw cycles that create raised hard-packed ruts which will cause problems for any low-to-the-ground sport car

-other heavier vehicles, will likely not stop as quickly, raising your risk of being rear-ended. I was rear-ended a few years back when my all-wheel sedan stopped in time to avoid congested traffic on a freeway, but the fellow behind me was driving on all-seasons, so he couldn't stop as quickly as me (sigh; the laws of physics were proven yet again...).

Ah, my Canadian friend! Not all winters are the same!

Our “winter” here in central Texas is a bit, shall we say, “milder” than what The Great Frozen North experiences. Our average daily low temp in January is still above freezing.

So yes, my Emira can be a year-round car!

Yea I am in it 100% of the itme, with 3rd cat delete its an animal.
But now, soemtiems I feel 3rd cat delete is too loud.
But, whatever, the car can't be perfect.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back