Aerie Ti Emira exhaust installation

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@Bilbao-Emira you have an Aerie exhaust. Did you have these issues?
I did have a P102007 error code related to the valve and consequently went into reduced engine mode. This was corrected by rotating 180 degrees the spring that connects the OEM valve controller to the valve itself.

In my case, the Aerie exhaust fits perfectly with both the OEM and the Aerie Y-pipe.

Car is in workshop fitting carbon fiber parts so I cannot test it further, and after next week I am outside, so it will be two weeks from now when I can test it properly.
Sorry. I cannot help more at this stage.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In my case, the Aerie exhaust fits perfectly with both the OEM and the Aerie Y-pipe.
This is a common issue with fabricated products from China-based factories. Initial quality is very high, and then subsequent shipments decline over time in fitment accuracy, finish quality, and sometimes even materials.

Source: personal involvement in more than $30m worth of China-manufactured scientific equipment from about 20 different manufacturers, over the course of about a decade.

Aerie

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Google thinks is the Oxygen sensor (see below).

So, probably needs recalibrating for the Aerie exhaust.

The Ox sensors (2) are mounted on the Y-pipes. the Aerie exhaust has a 3rd cat bypass, so much less back pressure.

Unfortunately, I can't just put pieces back since the Aerie setup is not compatible with the stock exhaust parts.

View attachment 40546
probably the O2 sensor harness was damaged by installation, we had the same DTC code P1081 with our Emira V6 customers. Since the new Emira OEM O2 sensor comes with 6 harnesses (Lynk & co) China-made products, maybe the quality is not strong, when the sensor is reinstalled will easily break, lucky we changed to a new one the problem was solved.

fbb801f4-5c24-41db-911a-0315ae257eaa.jpeg

Link&Co 8888602409.
0258030548/549 China

The OEM O2 sensor in here the dealer are selling USD630 is extremely expensive just for one sensor, but currently we still have one set of Emira O2 sensor can send you as free for replacement , let me know if you want it . @beardp

Last edited:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
probably the O2 sensor harness was damaged by installation, we had the same DTC code P1081 with our Emira V6 customers. Since the new Emira OEM O2 sensor comes with 6 harnesses (Lynk & co) China-made products, maybe the quality is not strong, when the sensor is reinstalled will easily break, lucky we changed to a new one the problem was solved.

View attachment 40604

Link&Co 8888602409.
0258030548/549 China

The OEM O2 sensor in here the dealer are selling USD630 is extremely expensive just for one sensor, but currently we still have one set of Emira O2 sensor can send you as free for replacement , let me know if you want it . @beardp

That's some good customer service. 👏🏼 Let us know if this ends up fixing the problem @beardp.

OP
B

beardp

Reaction score

View attachment 40604

Link&Co 8888602409.
0258030548/549 China

Absolutely, I will try it. Thank you

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I also have the Aerie exhaust and Y pipe installed and have a P1018 code (not P1081).

My understanding was that it was a calibration issue with the valve actuator and had my car booked in to try a recalibration.

Are we now saying it’s a back pressure issue with the O2 sensors?

Can you confirm your code was P1081 and not P1018 please?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I also have the Aerie exhaust and Y pipe installed and have a P1018 code (not P1081).

My understanding was that it was a calibration issue with the valve actuator and had my car booked in to try a recalibration.

Are we now saying it’s a back pressure issue with the O2 sensors?

Can you confirm your code was P1081 and not P1018 please?
Looking through some forum history, someone who installed a Milltek exhaust ran into this code also. I suspect this is related to the valve opening/closing.

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Looking through some forum history, someone who installed a Milltek exhaust ran into this code also. I suspect this is related to the valve opening/closing.
Yep. Especially as if I rotate the spring 180 degrees so it actually restricts the valve from closing properly, I don’t get the fault anymore.

Aerie appear to be saying in this thread that changing the O2 sensor has fixed the issue for other V6 customers, but it’s not clear if everyone is getting the same fault code.

Mine is definetly P1018 and only seems to happen in sport mode, and only if the spring is oriented so the valve can fully open and close. When flipped 180 degrees so the spring hits the housing and restricts the valve from closing, I don’t get the error which is way less me to believe it’s the actuator moving through a different range that’s throwing the code.

I’ll be back at my local dealership/workshop tomorrow to drop the stock exhaust off so I’ll try and find out exactly what the P1018 code is while I’m there.

I don’t think these issues are related to the O2 sensors. Mine definitely weren’t damaged during installation.

Attachments

• IMG_7154.jpeg
    IMG_7154.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7194.png
    IMG_7194.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
OP
B

beardp

Reaction score
Yep. Especially as if I rotate the spring 180 degrees so it actually restricts the valve from closing properly, I don’t get the fault anymore.

Aerie appear to be saying in this thread that changing the O2 sensor has fixed the issue for other V6 customers, but it’s not clear if everyone is getting the same fault code.

Mine is definetly P1018 and only seems to happen in sport mode, and only if the spring is oriented so the valve can fully open and close. When flipped 180 degrees so the spring hits the housing and restricts the valve from closing, I don’t get the error which is way less me to believe it’s the actuator moving through a different range that’s throwing the code.

I’ll be back at my local dealership/workshop tomorrow to drop the stock exhaust off so I’ll try and find out exactly what the P1018 code is while I’m there.

I don’t think these issues are related to the O2 sensors. Mine definitely weren’t damaged during installation.
Yes P1018

IMG_7179.png

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for clarifying.

I spoke to a few other people with different exhausts last night who have had the same issue. Recalibrating the valve controller apparently fixes it. It’s caused by the range of movement being slightly different.

I will give this a try when I’m next at Lotus on the 17th and report back.

OP
B

beardp

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying.

I spoke to a few other people with different exhausts last night who have had the same issue. Recalibrating the valve controller apparently fixes it. It’s caused by the range of movement being slightly different.

I will give this a try when I’m next at Lotus on the 17th and report back.

I’ll try rotating the spring. I’m in NW Montana. No Lotus dealers. Hope a recal can be DIY’d

On another note, the ‘OBD killer’ cancels the CEL immediately and accel limiting is avoided.

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ll try rotating the spring. I’m in NW Montana. No Lotus dealers. Hope a recal can be DIY’d

On another note, the ‘OBD killer’ cancels the CEL immediately and accel limiting is avoided.
Just be aware rotating the spring stops the valve from closing properly so it will be louder on cold start, etc.

Recalibration has to be done using the Lotus diagnostic system so unfortunately it can’t be DIY’d

Last edited:
OP
B

beardp

Reaction score
Just be aware rotating the spring stops the valve from closing properly so it will be louder on cold start, etc.

Recalibration has to be done using the Lotus diagnostic system so unfortunately it can’t be DIY’d

Do you know if there are any Valve deleters compatible with Lotus?

Like this one: Summit racing:

Idea would be to force the valves permanently open. I hate my neighbors anyway.

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
OP
B

beardp

Reaction score
Was looking for exhaust valve eliminators and came across this (below) on the Milltek site:

"Note will require valve re-learn to be completed after installation"

Well - there's full transparency and disclosure - as it should be. I have no easy way to get to a Lotus dealer - not sure either that they would be too motivated to fix an aftermarket exhaust problem.

Big waste of time and money. @Aerie - I would have appreciated knowing this ahead of my purchase !!

Hopefully I'll be able to get the servo seated correctly back in the OEM tray when I put everything back.

1712451072369.png

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Was looking for exhaust valve eliminators and came across this (below) on the Milltek site:

"Note will require valve re-learn to be completed after installation"

Well - there's full transparency and disclosure - as it should be. I have no easy way to get to a Lotus dealer - not sure either that they would be too motivated to fix an aftermarket exhaust problem.

Big waste of time and money. @Aerie - I would have appreciated knowing this ahead of my purchase !!

Hopefully I'll be able to get the servo seated correctly back in the OEM tray when I put everything back.

View attachment 40681
You may still have to get the actuator recalibrated even after putting the stock exhaust back on now as its alignment will have changed from running past its original calibration.

Might get lucky, but don’t be surprised if you still get a CEL after returning to stock.

Sorry for the bad news but wanted to let you know before spending the time returning to stock in case it changes things for you. Might be better off getting the Milltek valve controller and just leaving the valve open until you go for your next service.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
What does relearning involve, a dealership visit?