• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Aerie Ti Emira exhaust installation

beardp

Reaction score
Took about half a day.

Had to remove the diffuser and engine base plate. Removed the sway bushings to let the bar move out of the way.

Aerie had send me the Y-pipes with the heat shielding as an "upgrade". I did not plan on using (I had ordered the non shielded Y-pipes for min weight), but the back section and 3rd cat bypass is not compatible with the stock Y-pipes.

1711930231596.png

Aerie on the left, stock on the right. The Y output does not fit into the bypass and there is a flange on the stock rear section that the Aerie bypass flange has no relief for.

1711930465690.png

So, I needed to mount the heavier Aerie Y-pipes. Bolts very accessible, but, the stock M10 bolts have a shoulder that does not pass though the slot. Had to find replacement M10x1.25pitch bolts.

1711930675205.png

The

I did not end up using the Ti tips. I prefer the stock ones with the classic Lotus diamonds.

I also bought the Aerie "diffuser" but I didn't read the small print properly. The carbon pieces just cover the existing diffuser fins. Not quite what I expected.

Sounds a bit louder. If there was a non-valved (straight cat-back) version available I would have preferred that.

Most worrying is that I have had a couple of "engine reduced acceleration" pop-up warnings. Possibly from lower back pressure on the 02 sensors....

Will run it more tomorrow and take pics of the Ti heat - colour anodizing.

OP
B

beardp

Reaction score
One more glitch - The Aerie configuration relocates the valve servo. The cable ties on the sensor connector harness need to be cut otherwise it wont reach the connector. Cutting the cable ties leaves the servo harness stretched diagonally and not hidden neatly behind the structure surrounding the rear grill. Not a huge deal to me, but it may be to others.

1711940274107.png

driv300mph

Reaction score
How much heavier is the shielded Y pipe over non-shielded? And what is the benefit of the y-pipe over stock?

Thanks!

OP
B

beardp

Reaction score
How much heavier is the shielded Y pipe over non-shielded? And what is the benefit of the y-pipe over stock?

Thanks!

I did not make a weight comparison. The issue is that Aerie sell the exhaust and y-pipe separately - the exhaust does not fit the stock y-pipe - so they need to be purchased together.

I am trying to get every gram out of the Emira. My main focus is the un-sprung components such as the rims and brake disks - but there is a lot of low hanging sprung weight savings such as the exhaust.

I'm shooting for 1400kg - I have a long way to go !

A Ti y-pipe could save 2.5kg or so.

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I did not make a weight comparison. The issue is that Aerie sell the exhaust and y-pipe separately - the exhaust does not fit the stock y-pipe - so they need to be purchased together.

I am trying to get every gram out of the Emira. My main focus is the un-sprung components such as the rims and brake disks - but there is a lot of low hanging sprung weight savings such as the exhaust.

I'm shooting for 1400kg - I have a long way to go !

A Ti y-pipe could save 2.5kg or so.
Getting down to 3,086 lbs (1,400kg) from 3,232 lbs is going to be a trick. Did you weigh your car stock first before you started? I don't think we've had a North American version weighed yet. How much do you have to lose? Are you planning on replacing the seats with Tillet's or something similar?

I'm definitely going with battery and wheels (I already have the Antigravity battery and titanium lug bolts), which should be a reduction of around 55 lbs or so. Beyond that I'm not sure yet. Need my car first. I'm considering a titanium exhaust, but I don't want the car louder or boomier. I want to hear what @GRP comes up with first.

driv300mph

Reaction score
Getting down to 3,086 lbs (1,400kg) from 3,232 lbs is going to be a trick. Did you weigh your car stock first before you started? I don't think we've had a North American version weighed yet. How much do you have to lose? Are you planning on replacing the seats with Tillet's or something similar?

I'm definitely going with battery and wheels (I already have the Antigravity battery and titanium lug bolts), which should be a reduction of around 55 lbs or so. Beyond that I'm not sure yet. Need my car first. I'm considering a titanium exhaust, but I don't want the car louder or boomier. I want to hear what @GRP comes up with first.

Tillet seats will reduce weight by 94.8lb. Other than exhaust parts and battery, I'm not sure what else can be modified besides minimal gains from CF replacement parts which can't add up to much. Still, 1400kg with seat replacements will be easy!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Tillet seats will reduce weight by 94.8lb. Other than exhaust parts and battery, I'm not sure what else can be modified besides minimal gains from CF replacement parts which can't add up to much. Still, 1400kg with seat replacements will be easy!
Tillet seats weigh 24.25 lbs each. The factory seats weigh 114.34 lbs (57.32 lbs each). One Tillet seat removes 33.07 lbs, so both would remove 66.14 lbs, not 94.8.

The easy weight reduction parts are battery and wheels. Exhaust and seats are more difficult and more expensive, but all that adds up. Figure about 55 lbs saved for battery and wheels, and about 90 lbs saved for ti exhaust and seats. That's 145 lbs. The car stock has been weighed in Europe, and it was 3,232 lbs (1,466 kg). Getting down to 1,400 kg (3,086 lbs) requires removing 146 lbs, so doing the above gets you there. It'll run you about $10k, but you'll reach your goal. I don't know if I'd call that easy; certainly not cheap, but it's doable.

driv300mph

Reaction score
Tillet seats weigh 24.25 lbs each. The factory seats weigh 114.34 lbs (57.32 lbs each). One Tillet seat removes 33.07 lbs, so both would remove 66.14 lbs, not 94.8.

The easy weight reduction parts are battery and wheels. Exhaust and seats are more difficult and more expensive, but all that adds up. Figure about 55 lbs saved for battery and wheels, and about 90 lbs saved for ti exhaust and seats. That's 145 lbs. The car stock has been weighed in Europe, and it was 3,232 lbs (1,466 kg). Getting down to 1,400 kg (3,086 lbs) requires removing 146 lbs, so doing the above gets you there. It'll run you about $10k, but you'll reach your goal. I don't know if I'd call that easy; certainly not cheap, but it's doable.
1711991801580.png

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
[...] The issue is that Aerie sell the exhaust and y-pipe separately - the exhaust does not fit the stock y-pipe - so they need to be purchased together.

[...]

Yeah I think they have a new version of the exhaust that bolts directly to the OEM Y pipe.

Aerie

Emira Fan
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah I think they have a new version of the exhaust that bolts directly to the OEM Y pipe.
Yes , the new batch of titanium exhaust system de-cat down pipes will be fit OEM y-pipe .

Julian73

Reaction score

I've ordred the GRP Ti exhaust, now awaiting on the car to arrive. Saves 8 kg and Greg has posted some videos of the system starting and running with the muffler and decat.

Reactions: GRP

Julian73

Reaction score
Ti exhaust, magnesium wheels, Li battery, Tillet seats should get you close?
Magnesium wheels would be a huge cost and issue of air tightness for a weight savings of 34 lbs total over stock at best (or 16 lbs lighter than GRP's S-10 wheel)(magnesium alloys have a density of 69% of aluminum alloys) and this assumes the wheel structure is not thickened to make up for the approx loss of 1/2 strength.