Would you change from V6 to I4 if I4 had 400HP?

Would you change to DCT I4 w/ 400HP from the V6 with 400HP

• Total voters

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I keep hearing this statement, "Lotus held the I4 to 360HP as to not upstage the V6 in markets where they are both present." I guess I don't really understand why two different engines with the same HP but two different transmissions would be a problem or an "upstaging".

Recently @digilotus posted this about China I4 having 400HP. This is what prompted me to see what people think and how many would switch.

EDIT: I guess the 400HP I4 would be somewhat quicker.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I keep hearing this statement, "Lotus held the I4 to 360HP as to not upstage the V6 in markets where they are both present." I guess I don't really understand why two different engines with the same HP but two different transmissions would be a problem or an "upstaging".

Recently @digilotus posted this about China I4 having 400HP. This is what prompted me to see what people think and how many would switch.

It’s all about the manual for me. I would only consider the I4 if there was a manual option.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Definite no for me!

Even if the V6 ends up being slower than the I4 (which it will in future), the I4 has a particulate filter AND turbo charger in the exhaust path, both of which mute the sound. It will therefore never have the trumpet-like sounds and raw excitement of the V6.

Plus I like the idea of going to my local Toyota dealer and getting parts for my "Camry V6". Service costs, ability to service it myself (just get a Camry Haynes manual if you're desperate!) and long term reliability are important for me. As technically modern and impressive the I4 is, once things start going wrong things could get fun! I'm buying the Emira to be a long term keeper.

Last edited:

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’d switch (from a V6 Auto). The way the car performs is just as important as the way the it looks to me.

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Nope, this for me is all about how it makes me feel. And the sound of the m139 makes me feel sick 🤣

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
30 lbs of boost in a multi thousand dollar engine from one of, if not the worst ever, customer service organizations = no thanks
mercedes is a terrible company. someone will white-knight them after my comment and deny reality.

Vs toyota = most reliable vehicles made.

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
As much as the child in me wants the most power realistically for public roads you can’t use it all anyway so it has to be about the experience for me. V6 all the way.

I have loads of fun in my wife’s mini because I can put the roof down and it feels faster than it is. It’s not all about the BHP 🙂

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I challenge anyone to go and listen to the Emira exhaust vid from Melbourne just posted and tell me they don't hanker for the V6 noise and soul :)

ADC

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Funnily enough, I have been all about the i4 from the very first announcements (AMG reputation with engines, modern marvel of technology getting these figures from a 2 litre road-going 4-pot, potential for easy power bump later on, truer to Lotus' roots with a smaller/lighter engine, etc etc... you know the excuses reasoning :)) ... but the longer I have to wait, the more doubt is creeping in 😅

I do have to agree that the exhaust note is the lingering doubt that gnaws at my brain.

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Funnily enough, I have been all about the i4 from the very first announcements (AMG reputation with engines, modern marvel of technology getting these figures from a 2 litre road-going 4-pot, potential for easy power bump later on, truer to Lotus' roots with a smaller/lighter engine, etc etc... you know the excuses reasoning :)) ... but the longer I have to wait, the more doubt is creeping in 😅

I do have to agree that the exhaust note is the lingering doubt that gnaws at my brain.
This is me completely..... but I do remember it is going to be cheaper to run - tax, mpg etc which means more road trips and use for me. Also, when I am in a traffic jam, I will be reminding myself why a DCT is a good thing

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Back to my original post, it was said in China that the I4 is tuned to 360HP so it won't upend the V6 in markets where they both exist. Based on the poll so far this is no where near the case. AND they are providing the I4 at 400HP which will all know can easily be done. This isn't like the 450HP V6 debate which is theoretical. They will be selling 400HP I4s.

So this is the dead horse that I will beat again. I4 people should be mystified as to why Lotus won't just offer them worldwide with 400HP. The I4 and the V6 aren't really competing. Unless it's that emissions thing that is keeping it at 360HP.

I usually try and find logic with a decision by looking at all angles. I see no logic here.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My understanding is the emissions taxes in China are based on engine capacity not measured emissions or power or anything else. So they can offer it in any tune they like, the tax is based on 2.0 litres.

In Europe and elsewhere, the emissions taxes are based on measured emissions. My guess is the 360hp and 400hp tunes may be just different enough on emissions to tip it over into the next emissions tax bracket. Lotus may want to avoid that for several reasons.

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My understanding is the emissions taxes in China are based on engine capacity not measured emissions or power or anything else. So they can offer it in any tune they like, the tax is based on 2.0 litres.

In Europe and elsewhere, the emissions taxes are based on measured emissions. My guess is the 360hp and 400hp tunes may be just different enough on emissions to tip it over into the next emissions tax bracket. Lotus may want to avoid that for several reasons.

I hate when Facts kill Fantasy.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fan
Reaction score
No manual = no purchase for me.

I'm buying this car purely for the analog and engaging driving experience. As childish as it sounds, spending near $100k on a car with 4-cylinders would just feel disappointing to me, regardless of the performance.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

This could also be part of the reason behind the big push to get electric vehicles into production. They will help lower the requirements for the last few ICE cars because of their impact on the fleet average.