Speculation: FE I4 will have 400HP and 480NM?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
There was a recent dump of images and info from a Chinese car publication. There was a huge number of images posted of a blue car. I was flipping through the photos. Anyway, to copy/paste what I posted on another forum:

Ok, ok, ok, guys, guys, guys. This is potentially big. Potentially. Very big. If the information is accurate...

This image says “2.0T Turbo Engine, Maximum Power: 400 Horse Power. Maximum Torque: 480NM. Offical 0-100km/h acceleration: 4.3s." I thought they were just confused... yawn.

1400x0_1_q95_autohomecar__ChwFkmGLHUCAfDZiAAlzfK6dYdA352.jpg

But this following picture says " Summary: Chinese market model will come with AMG sourced 2.0T engine, with 360HP and 430NM torque. Combined with 8 speed DCT transmission, 0-100km/h acceleration times will be 4.5s. Initial released First Edition will output a higher 400HP and 480NM torque. Acceleration will be reduced to 4.3s. Interestingly, the latter has a maximum horse power that is nearly the same as the 3.5L V6 supercharged version, and the torque is even 50NM higher, although I still want V6+manual...." Then it goes on to talk about Porsche, and I lost interest.

1400x0_1_q95_autohomecar__ChwFkmGLHSSAPaB5AAxBTxqfPPo747.jpg

So my friends, we know the I4 base engine will be 360HP, but the FE I4 will be 400HP and 480NM?!?!?!?!?!?!

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There was a recent dump of images and info from a Chinese car publication. There was a huge number of images posted of a blue car. I was flipping through the photos. Anyway, to copy/paste what I posted on another forum:

Ok, ok, ok, guys, guys, guys. This is potentially big. Potentially. Very big. If the information is accurate...

This image says “2.0T Turbo Engine, Maximum Power: 400 Horse Power. Maximum Torque: 480NM. Offical 0-100km/h acceleration: 4.3s." I thought they were just confused... yawn.

View attachment 1254

But this following picture says " Summary: Chinese market model will come with AMG sourced 2.0T engine, with 360HP and 430NM torque. Combined with 8 speed DCT transmission, 0-100km/h acceleration times will be 4.5s. Initial released First Edition will output a higher 400HP and 480NM torque. Acceleration will be reduced to 4.3s. Interestingly, the latter has a maximum horse power that is nearly the same as the 3.5L V6 supercharged version, and the torque is even 50NM higher, although I still want V6+manual...." Then it goes on to talk about Porsche, and I lost interest.

View attachment 1255

So my friends, we know the I4 base engine will be 360HP, but the FE I4 will be 400HP and 480NM?!?!?!?!?!?!
I understand no Chinese at all, but I guess when they say FE 400 Hp they are talking about the V6, not the i4 anymore, and the 480 Nm might be just a mistake.
Unless they don't want to sell the v6 in China, or Lotus wants the rest of the world be pissed off, anything possible anyway

OP
Nova

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I understand no Chinese at all, but I guess when they say FE 400 Hp they are talking about the V6, not the i4 anymore, and the 480 Nm might be just a mistake.
Unless they don't want to sell the v6 in China, or Lotus wants the rest of the world be pissed off, anything possible anyway

No, they are talking specifically about the FE version of the I4, and contrasting it against the V6. I thought the first photo was a mistake, and that they were confused about powers between I4 and V6, and that 480NM was just a mistake. But the second photo is very explicit about the power of the FE I4 being 400HP.

Another data point: the M139 in 382HP version has a torque of... 480NM.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
No, they are talking specifically about the FE version of the I4, and contrasting it against the V6. I thought the first photo was a mistake, and that they were confused about powers between I4 and V6, and that 480NM was just a mistake. But the second photo is very explicit about the power of the FE I4 being 400HP.

Another data point: the M139 in 382HP version has a torque of... 480NM.
I can see big mess happening if that's true, great way to upset a lot of customers. We´ll see!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It wouldn’t be the first time a motoring publication or YouTuber has mis-quoted figures from the Emira press releases.

I’d be inclined to believe what Lotus have already published, ie 400hp and 420Nm for the V6 and 360hp for the i4.

Both engines are capable of higher power and torque in other applications, but that’s not the spec they’ll be running in the Emira. This is a world car, so there are no regional variants and this isn’t a special tune for the Chinese market.

aEdMIRA

Reaction score
Sometimes FEs have slightly more hp, so IF the i4 does, then so will the V6.

So aaaaaaaall goooooood! :)

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I dont mind if the amg motor has more power, I'm buying the v6 at the spec released because it will sound brilliant drive brilliant and I can change gear, to me all the v6 cars are for the drivers!!! . If you want the fastest thing on track wait for the i4 we all know what that engine and box is capable of.
500 bhp 500nm in an emira that's had a carbon fibre diet front splitter and rear wing = FASTEST CAR ROUND THE RING.
GT4RS BYE BYE.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Doesn't seem like an error. More reviews here:

Attachments

• emira-2t.png
    emira-2t.png
    401.9 KB · Views: 114
  • emira-2t-480.png
    emira-2t-480.png
    522.6 KB · Views: 101

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I would love for this to be true (as an i4 deposit holder), but I worry that Lotus would be really ticking some people off who made a spec choice based on power outputs. In reality, people choosing the V6 are likely choosing it for other reasons like manual transmission and ungodly awesome exhaust note, but still...

EDIT: to be clear, I'm mainly choosing the i4 because I want something I can be a lazy arse in every day (traffic jams outnumber track days, sadly), and because I can also man-math's my way into believing I'm doing the environment a favour :) ... I desperately hope they can make it sound nearly as great as the six

Last edited:

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
To needlessly throw fuel on this fire, it does say on the footer of the official Emira web page (emphasis mine) ...

"The vehicle specifications detailed on this page are target specifications based upon simulations. We have carried out thousands of hours of computer modelling, dynamic simulation and engineering development that have contributed to the target specifications and we have a strong degree of confidence that as the prototype vehicles progress through their testing phases, the target specifications will be met and, in some cases, surpassed. All customers who have placed an order for Emira will be kept up-to-date with the prototype phase and invited to view its progress first-hand where suitable."

:geek:

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If they are following everything porsche maybe they have under promised and will over deliver in terms of performance numbers.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Well Lotus MD Matt Windle was caught on video at Goodwood saying the V6 would be 416hp, which is a very specific number, rather than the round 400hp published online. And it's the same number as the latest Evora iteration, the US-spec Evora GT.

So they may well be holding some in reserve until they can complete real tests on a production car. They're doing that official testing now (type approval etc), as they need to have official emissions figures before they can publish their finance packages. For that reason I expect we'll get an updated and final set of V6 stats in Dec (or early Jan at the latest), well before 3rd UK deposits are due.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Well Lotus MD Matt Windle was caught on video at Goodwood saying the V6 would be 416hp, which is a very specific number, rather than the round 400hp published online. And it's the same number as the latest Evora iteration, the US-spec Evora GT.

So they may well be holding some in reserve until they can complete real tests on a production car. They're doing that official testing now (type approval etc), as they need to have official emissions figures before they can publish their finance packages. For that reason I expect we'll get an updated and final set of V6 stats in Dec (or early Jan at the latest), well before 3rd UK deposits are due.
I've mentioned before that the torque figure quoted on the website is 420Nm which is exactly what the 416hp outputs. I'd be suprised if it was anything less!

Evora (as i'm sure you're familar with :) )
Original 400 spec:
400 hp (298 kW; 406 PS) and 302 lb⋅ft (409 Nm)

410 spec
power increase by 10 hp (7 kW; 10 PS), for a total of 410 hp (306 kW; 416 PS). The torque was also improved to 310 lb⋅ft (420 Nm).

I think the car should also be in the 3.9- 4.1 second range 0-60mph

Last edited:
OP
Nova

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Again this is just speculation at this point, but the information revealed to date certainly does not conflict with the possibility that the FE I4 will be 400HP/480NM.

This does also point to the possibility that the I4 FE will be priced similarly to the V6 FE, since the power will be similar, and DCT is included by default instead of the auto being an upcharge. This does make the calculation more complex for those not locked in on a manual transmission...

Regardless. The videos mention an official launch event on 11/19 in China, so there will be official specs at that time straight from Lotus.

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I can’t see how Lotus will bring out a 400 HP FE I4 when it’s already been declared as 400 for the V6 and 360 for the I4.

Having an already equal AMG engine with DCT, and failing to declare it will be available, would truly destroy customer relations and trust in the brand, especially when so many of the deposit holders are long term Lotus owners.

We all know higher HP versions will be available later, but not on the FE cars. It wouldn’t be the first time some facetube blogger or media outlet completely got their stats mixed up…….

And let’s not even imagine the reaction of giving China a different output to the rest of the world. I can’t see Matt Windle ever agreeing to that one !!