Speculation: FE I4 will have 400HP and 480NM?

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Does anyone know the redline of the I4?

AbsLatte

Reaction score
Hi, guys. I'm from China. The pictures you translated is form an article of a third party car media called AutoHome, which is not official. I will attach official info below.

It's sure that there will be no V6 in China. And there will be FE and base version in China. All details will be announced in Guangzhou car expo on Nov 19th 2021. I have paid RMB 2000 to "pre-order" for the chance of the FE version and I will have to make decision in 3 days after the price and parameters are announced.

The 2.0T blue car is a "pre-assemble" model which is highly possible to show in the expo. There was a static experience activity that medias were invited to shoot that car on Nov 9th, but no one is allowed to sit in or drive it.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'll tell you what we know in China.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211114-225238.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-225238.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20211114-225311.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-225311.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 90

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great to have you here and thanks for the new information, that's really helpful. They aren't giving you much time to make a decision! Are you going to the expo?

If China is only getting the i4/2.0T AMG car then I assume you're going to be taking delivery in late 2022/early 2023? That's going to feel like a very long wait but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Last edited:

AbsLatte

Reaction score
Great to have you here and thanks for the new information, that's really helpful. They aren't given you much time to make a decision! Are you going to the expo?

If China is only getting the i4/2.0T AMG car then I assume you're going to be taking delivery in late 2022/early 2023? That's going to feel like a very long wait but I'm sure it will be worth it.
I planned to go but not possible any more. 3 people covid 19 positive make my city mid-risk.
Yes, China is only getting i4 2.0T AMG. I heard 400hp form several videos which are all form car media (reviewers or like YouTubers) . I'm not sure if lotus told them to say so.
Yes, we will have to wait for a long time. What is even more struggling is lotus keeps the price like a top secret.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I planned to go but not possible any more. 3 people covid 19 positive make my city mid-risk.
Yes, China is only getting i4 2.0T AMG. I heard 400hp form several videos which are all form car media (reviewers or like YouTubers) . I'm not sure if lotus told them to say so.
Yes, we will have to wait for a long time. What is even more struggling is lotus keeps the price like a top secret.

We appreciate your clarification on all of this!
Can I just make sure I'm understanding what you said about Covid correctly...

Three people in your city are positive and you are now considered mid-risk and shut down?

AbsLatte

Reaction score
We appreciate your clarification on all of this!
Can I just make sure I'm understanding what you said about Covid correctly...

Three people in your city are positive and you are now considered mid-risk and shut down?
My city contains mid-risk areas(The neighborhood contains those three positive ). The city of the expo has a policy that people from city with mid or high risk area should be quarantined for 2 weeks after plane landing and have covid tested . This is the method to prevent the virus from spreading in the expo.
My daily life is not affected at all. I can go to any public places with mask. Only those three neighborhoods are quarantined.
Thank you for your caring.
I'm sure people in Guangzhou will be in the expo and I am glad to share the videos or pictures with you in the future.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
My city contains mid-risk areas(The neighborhood contains those three positive ). The city of the expo has a policy that people from city with mid or high risk area should be quarantined for 2 weeks after plane landing and have covid tested . This is the method to prevent the virus from spreading in the expo.
My daily life is not affected at all. I can go to any public places with mask. Only those three neighborhoods are quarantined.
Thank you for your caring.
I'm sure people in Guangzhou will be in the expo and I am glad to share the videos or pictures with you in the future.
Goodness. They are definitely taking precautions. Thank you for explaining!

AbsLatte

Reaction score
Again this is just speculation at this point, but the information revealed to date certainly does not conflict with the possibility that the FE I4 will be 400HP/480NM.

This does also point to the possibility that the I4 FE will be priced similarly to the V6 FE, since the power will be similar, and DCT is included by default instead of the auto being an upcharge. This does make the calculation more complex for those not locked in on a manual transmission...

Regardless. The videos mention an official launch event on 11/19 in China, so there will be official specs at that time straight from Lotus.
Another point I want to mention is that imported cars to China contain extra tax by engine capacity not horse power. 2.0L 5% and 3.5L 25%. So it is impossible to expect the same price in China although they have similar power.
There is also CAFC policy which not friendly to large engine capacity cars. That's why the V6 version will not be imported.

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Another point I want to mention is that imported cars to China contain extra tax by engine capacity not horse power. 2.0L 5% and 3.5L 25%. So it is impossible to expect the same price in China although they have similar power.
There is also CAFC policy which not friendly to large engine capacity cars. That's why the V6 version will not be imported.
If this is true, and the i4 FE in China is 400Hp with more torque, then there is absolutely no reason why the same specification couldn’t be offered here. The reason given for the 360 Hp was that Lotus were tuning the engine to suit their own requirements but that would be a complete own goal for other markets if this turns out to be true, and may well kill off a huge chunk of V6 orders. I won’t pay a third deposit until I know whether this is true or not.

Maybe this is the reason for all the smoke and mirrors regarding the i4 FE pricing…………

I sincerely hope I’m wrong

AbsLatte

Reaction score
If this is true, and the i4 FE in China is 400Hp with more torque, then there is absolutely no reason why the same specification couldn’t be offered here. The reason given for the 360 Hp was that Lotus were tuning the engine to suit their own requirements but that would be a complete own goal for other markets if this turns out to be true, and may well kill off a huge chunk of V6 orders. I won’t pay a third deposit until I know whether this is true or not.

Maybe this is the reason for all the smoke and mirrors regarding the i4 FE pricing…………

I really hope that everyone can enjoy 400hp i4.
Another benefit that you have is manual and supercharger. So the 400hp looks like a make up for Chinese fans.
Most manual transmission cars have high reputation but sell badly in China. This stops brands from importing manual cars. 718 and 911 all have pdk by default and we don't have manual option here.

New to Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The amg we all know is capable of much more bhp than the what's in the launch spec cars. Looks like some market specific dynamics in play as to China launch car no v6 there so possibly getting something a bit different in launch spec cars. Look on the bright side should just be a ecu flash to get an ultra fast 4 pot emira.😀

OP
Nova

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score

That would certainly make sense in this context. Of course, we are all just guessing at this point. Just gotta wait for those official numbers. BTW, I wouldn't make it so hard on the marketing guys. They are often given constraints that they have to come up with an excuse for. These things change as time goes on, especially for a smaller company. At least this is an opportunity to get "more" rather than less. It's definitely better than the other way around. If the 400HP turns out to be not true, then we'll just be back where we started.

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
From the sounds of it I wouldn't be surprised if in China they are doing a 2 level car similar to the rest of the world, but only with the i4 as they don't get the V6. Similar to how we get the V6 with 400hp and an i4 with 360hp, the Chinese market might get the i4 with 400hp and 360hp options at price levels that may roughly line up with the V6 and i4 rest of world prices.

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
BTW, I wouldn't make it so hard on the marketing guys. They are often given constraints that they have to come up with an excuse for. These things change as time goes on, especially for a smaller company. At least this is an opportunity to get "more" rather than less. It's definitely better than the other way around. If the 400HP turns out to be not true, then we'll just be back where we started
I understand not making it hard on the marketing guys, but with the decision for third (and then non-refundable) deposits due in probably 4-6 weeks, we really should have all the information. There is also the fact that secrecy fuels suspicion. Why so cloak and dagger?

As for getting more rather than less, it’s not great if you’ve just committed to a thirsty, higher tax V6 auto because you’re told the i4 with DCT is only 360HP. It wouldn’t affect the manuals so much but V6 auto residuals would be hit hard with the AMG / DCT being far more upgradeable.

This really does need some clarification from Lotus. This is basic information and should be made available. I have emailed for clarification but somehow I doubt I’ll get an accurate reply.

OP
Nova

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I understand not making it hard on the marketing guys, but with the decision for third (and then non-refundable) deposits due in probably 4-6 weeks, we really should have all the information. There is also the fact that secrecy fuels suspicion. Why so cloak and dagger?

As for getting more rather than less, it’s not great if you’ve just committed to a thirsty, higher tax V6 auto because you’re told the i4 with DCT is only 360HP. It wouldn’t affect the manuals so much but V6 auto residuals would be hit hard with the AMG / DCT being far more upgradeable.

This really does need some clarification from Lotus. This is basic information and should be made available. I have emailed for clarification but somehow I doubt I’ll get an accurate reply.
Ok, I see your point. There are people who are not as set on the V6+manual and would have considered the I4 if it had a similar amount of power...

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It’s odd about the V6 not being offered in manual or auto format.

I get that there are significant tax differences in China between the i4 and V6. But there are other countries with similarly large tax differences and they are being offered both engine versions. They might not sell many V6 in those countries but they do have the choice.

Remember that Lotus made a big point about the Emira being a world car, without major specification differences between countries.

The lack of direct comms from Lotus also looks odd, as they are pushing the Type 132 campaign in China at the same time as the rest of the world.

The whole story and approach looks strange.

OP
Nova

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
It’s odd about the V6 not being offered in manual or auto format.

I get that there are significant tax differences in China between the i4 and V6. But there are other countries with similarly large tax differences and they are being offered both engine versions. They might not sell many V6 in those countries but they do have the choice.

Remember that Lotus made a big point about the Emira being a world car, without major specification differences between countries.

The lack of direct comms from Lotus also looks odd, as they are pushing the Type 132 campaign in China at the same time as the rest of the world.

The whole story and approach looks strange.

@AbsLatte mentioned that manual cars in China have great enthusiastic reviews but sell poorly. There is likely very little market for an actual manual. And if the i4 provides nearly the same HP as the V6, there is not much remaining justification for a V6 auto in China.