Emira event in Melbourne

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Start button cover

The painted red metal cover on top of the start button has a nice little spring action whereby if you let it go, it doesn't drop down but gently lowers until it is in the closed position. Very cool and works really well.

View attachment 5467

At night it is lit up white with an ambient border.

View attachment 5468
It looks like they've toned down the brightness of the aluminum surround. Looks much better this way, more expensive looking.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Overall road presence

Oh my gosh this car is so wide and mean looking! With the mirrors not folded in, it is almost 2.1m edge to edge. Yes, that makes it wider than a Porsche 911 and wider than some Range Rovers. So keep that in mind if you're planning to use it as a daily on narrow roads.

Having the headlights pushed out to near the edges of the car just increases the impression of it being wide but in a really good way. The front nose tapers down quickly and goes really low. They would have had to do some serious redesign of the styling to fit a storage area in the front! One drawback is that the front bonnet of the car (apart from the wheel haunches and top edge) is not visible from the inside so the front parking sensors will be really critical. I'd love a front camera one day!

It's an absolute animal in terms of its visual presence and makes any cayman look so ordinary. I note that the picture below is with the mirrors folded in!

Oh and speaking of side mirrors, the field of view with the mirrors outwards is excellent. You get to see the side air intakes, rear haunches and have a really great view to the back and sides. Excellent mirror design and the placement is perfect.

bad-to-the-bone.png

Last edited:

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Glovebox and service book

The glovebox is fully lined and has ambient night lighting.

Unlike in the Evora, there is actually enough room to store your service book in the glove box. :ROFLMAO:

And it looks like the Service Books are in a lovely Lotus emblemed folio case. This one even had yellow stitching that matched the interior Black Alcantara with yellow stitch! Brilliant!

glove-box.png

Last edited:

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sneaky little switch when you open the glovebox

I noticed on some photos shared over the past few months that there's a little button or switch of some kind when you open the glovebox which intrigued me. I thought at first it might be a bonnet opener but wasn't sure.

It is well hidden and I haven't seen anyone take any photos of it as yet - so here goes for all you folks to see.

It looks like there's an option to disable the passenger front and side (seat) airbags if you install a child safety seat (which actually makes sense). Though who would ever install a child seat in an Emira is beyond me...! Must be a regulatory thing.

glove-box-switch.png

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Thanks, great information! The picture of the door panel looks a little odd, right? Seems like it doesn't flow well, like a box super imposed on the door panel.

1652452846955.jpeg

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
AMG I4 Horsepower

I spoke to Matt about the AMG I4 horsepower and the discrepancies in HP and Torque value reporting between Lotus NYO China and other Lotus markets.

It seems that the power ratings published are indeed correct - Lotus I4 FE cars going to China will have 400HP and 480Nm. Whereas the other global AMG I4 cars will have 360HP and 430Nm. I didn't get a chance to discuss details as to why, but suspect this is because they didn't want to upstage the V6 and impact its sales in markets with the V6 available. This is really sad as its meant to be a global car but there's special variants. If this was driven by regulatory compliance then i wouldn't have an issue (like the US headlights), but power ratings... hmm.

Buy a Chinese Emira ECU for a free upgrade! :ROFLMAO:

AMG I4 Sound

I asked Matt for some sound samples of the I4 cars. He said it shouldn't be a problem to release these as there's lots of them built... so lets hope that something is released soon (however I'm not holding my breath)!

Particulate Filters

The I4 will be Euro 7 compliant and the V6 will not be. So that means Particulate Filter for the I4 and none for the V6. This will impact I4 exhaust sound quality no doubt.

Zardoz

Reaction score
Start button cover

The painted red metal cover on top of the start button has a nice little spring action whereby if you let it go, it doesn't drop down but gently lowers until it is in the closed position. Very cool and works really well.

View attachment 5467

At night it is lit up white with an ambient border.

View attachment 5468
The shift boot looks like a pleather one on my son's Focus ST. Can you confirm that it is leather & of nice quality?

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
AMG I4 Horsepower

I spoke to Matt about the AMG I4 horsepower and the discrepancies in HP and Torque value reporting between Lotus NYO China and other Lotus markets.

It seems that the power ratings published are indeed correct - Lotus I4 FE cars going to China will have 400HP and 480Nm. Whereas the other global AMG I4 cars will have 360HP and 430Nm. I didn't get a chance to discuss details as to why, but suspect this is because they didn't want to upstage the V6 and impact its sales in markets with the V6 available. This is really sad as its meant to be a global car but there's special variants. If this was driven by regulatory compliance then i wouldn't have an issue (like the US headlights), but power ratings... hmm.

AMG I4 Sound

I asked Matt for some sound samples of the I4 cars. He said it shouldn't be a problem to release these as there's lots of them built... so lets hope that something is released soon (however I'm not holding my breath)!

Particulate Filters

The I4 will be Euro 7 compliant and the V6 will not be. So that means Particulate Filter for the I4 and none for the V6. This will impact I4 exhaust sound quality no doubt.
Thanks for some great updates - as usual, this forum does more to help us get excited about the car more than Lotus is....... re the sounds samples - I don't have ANY confidence in that as Matt has made these statements before - and nothing ever comes...

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Stitching quirk

Not sure if this is going to be a production thing or whether this was a quirk of the pre-production car, but the stitching color in the rear didn't match the yellow stitch. I think the show car had the same coloured stitching so I put this down to a quirk.

rear-stitching.png

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The shift boot looks like a pleather one on my son's Focus ST. Can you confirm that it is leather & of nice quality?
Yes it was leather and felt nice to touch. Did not have deviated stitching though - just black thread. I didn't mind that though as it looks like one piece and doesn't have random stitching visible.

gear-shift-leather-boot-and-stitching.png

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes it was leather and felt nice to touch. Did not have deviated stitching though - just black thread. I didn't mind that though as it looks like one piece and doesn't have random stitching visible.

View attachment 5484
I suspect that many of us are going to be removing it anyway! Great to see that they bottom-mounted it. Clearly someone in the design team thought it through very specifically so that a fully exposed shift linkage (like the Elise/Exige/3-Eleven) would be possible with very little work.

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
AMG I4 Horsepower

AMG I4 Sound

Particulate Filters

Since Geely has invested so much into Lotus, and the V6 isn't going to be sold in China, this only makes sense. These are likely China only cars, so anyone wanting one would have to try and buy one there, and export it out of the country. That might be a bit difficult. Plus the China cars have the Lotus NYO badging on them.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks, great information! The picture of the door panel looks a little odd, right? Seems like it doesn't flow well, like a box super imposed on the door panel.

View attachment 5482
I know what you mean but it looked good to me in person. With the door closed, it fits nicely into the overall dash layout. I guess it also gives the KEF speakers more breathing room to sound better as they are quite deep units with a large magnet and driver mechanism.