• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Who has Milltek's Active Controller Installed?

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m sure someone could do that easily enough because my neighbour had a company change his M5 so it is quiet when entering his road.
I will have to ask him how it does the proximity side if it’s not close enough to a home link. I’m guessing it’s the same tech as geo fencing on a tracker.
Yep that’s easy. Just set up a geofencing tracker with a relay to trigger the remote.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Has anyone tried programming a different remote (eg: a garage opener remote) to replace the milltek remote and omit the valved closed feature?
Yes, I immediately programmed my 2nd and 3rd Homelink buttons to FULL OPEN and OEM settings on the Milltek. I just go into touring mode when I enter my neighborhood and press button 3 and she calms down nicely.

emira0427

Reaction score
My Milltek controller is coming soon. So just to confirm that we would need at least two Homelink spots? One for open, one for OEM and never use the Off.

Because currently I have first and second spots set for my two garage doors.

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My Milltek controller is coming soon. So just to confirm that we would need at least two Homelink spots? One for open, one for OEM and never use the Off.

You could always just velcro the fob somewhere in the car and use that if you don't have enough available homelink buttons.

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Correct.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Currently I have the easiest solution with the valves open all the time. I only come back late once a week and coast in neutral when I turn into our 4 house long cul de sac. My last car had a race exhaust so the neighbours are very happy with the Emira.
Make sure you get on really well with your neighbours and they never complain. 😁👍🏻

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Question for you guys. Does the Emira retain the memory of the controller? If I were to leave it set to "100% open", turn off the car, and then turn back on the car, will it still remain at open? Or does it automatically restart with the OEM settings?

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Question for you guys. Does the Emira retain the memory of the controller? If I were to leave it set to "100% open", turn off the car, and then turn back on the car, will it still remain at open? Or does it automatically restart with the OEM settings?
It remembers the previous setting

wuster

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
appreciate everyone's feedback and thoughts on exhaust, cat delete, and valve.
Quick question, everyone seems to have installed the milltek exhaust and GRP cat delete.
Has anyone tried the GRP exhaust? Did a quick search, don't see any feedback / installs on forum. Thanks everyone!

Any thoughts / comparisons?

Tobiasz17azs

Reaction score
Hey, if I'm going to install a valve controller from Militek, how is it programmed? Is it like: 1 for open, 2 for OEM, and 3 for close? I'm asking because if I'm planning to program it with homelink, I'm thinking of just using two buttons: open and OEM.

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hey, if I'm going to install a valve controller from Militek, how is it programmed? Is it like: 1 for open, 2 for OEM, and 3 for close? I'm asking because if I'm planning to program it with homelink, I'm thinking of just using two buttons: open and OEM.
1 = OPEN
2 = CLOSED
3 = OEM
That said, there are cases above of people having the buttons correspond with different settings, so don't just trust it's correct. Do a quick test for yourself. You'll easily be able to tell which mode you're in just by listening as the valve opens above 4000RPM even in OEM mode.

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
appreciate everyone's feedback and thoughts on exhaust, cat delete, and valve.
Quick question, everyone seems to have installed the milltek exhaust and GRP cat delete.
Has anyone tried the GRP exhaust? Did a quick search, don't see any feedback / installs on forum. Thanks everyone!

Any thoughts / comparisons?
Can't speak to the GRP exhaust specifically, but I do know from personal experience that the stock back box is pretty much a straight pipe when the valve is fully open. Running a 3rd cat delete and forcing the valve open will give you all the sound you need. The only benefit IMO of an aftermarket muffler is potential weight savings.

Do an exhaust controller first, if you still want more sound, do 3rd cat delete.

Personally I've gone back to compeltely stock catted exhaust with the controller and have no desire to mess with it again.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Can't speak to the GRP exhaust specifically, but I do know from personal experience that the stock back box is pretty much a straight pipe when the valve is fully open. Running a 3rd cat delete and forcing the valve open will give you all the sound you need. The only benefit IMO of an aftermarket muffler is potential weight savings.

Do an exhaust controller first, if you still want more sound, do 3rd cat delete.

Personally I've gone back to compeltely stock catted exhaust with the controller and have no desire to mess with it again.

Is OPEN louder than OEM when the valves are open for OEM?

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is OPEN louder than OEM when the valves are open for OEM?
In OEM mode the valve position is varied based on engine mode, RPM and the back pressure against the valve itself.

So at wide open throttle above 5000RPM it’s about the same. But just driving around town it’s much louder with the valve forced open.

brett_g

Reaction score
Question - the valve controller doesn't seem to let the car go back to factory settings. It's either open or closed. Is there a trick (ie. put it back into factory mode when it's in touring at idle) or something that I am missing?

Thanks!

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Question - the valve controller doesn't seem to let the car go back to factory settings. It's either open or closed. Is there a trick (ie. put it back into factory mode when it's in touring at idle) or something that I am missing?

Thanks!
Button 3 (the small one) puts it back in OEM mode. You won’t hear a difference between OEM and Closed modes at idle in Tour engine mode as the valve is closed by default under those conditions anyway.

To verify you’re in OEM mode, put the car in Sport or Track mode, then press 3 on the remote. Yoy should hear the exhaust get quieter if you were in OPEN mode or louder if you were in CLOSED mode.

jimgraham

Reaction score
I fitted the 3rd cat delete and the Miltek active valve at the same time. Nice addition to the sounds.
However, ( I was going to email Greg at GRP) the open is still not as loud as the Track position on the car. So we know the closed is quiet (and potential detrimental for the car) but the "Miltek open" selection is definitely not as loud or has the same low tone as the factory "Track" selection at idle. Has anyone also noticed this. I was going to do a short video on this to let Greg hear the difference.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I fitted the 3rd cat delete and the Miltek active valve at the same time. Nice addition to the sounds.
However, ( I was going to email Greg at GRP) the open is still not as loud as the Track position on the car. So we know the closed is quiet (and potential detrimental for the car) but the "Miltek open" selection is not as loud or have the same low tone as the factory "Track" selection. Has anyone also noticed this. I was going to do a short video on this to let Greg hear the difference.

Are you talking at idle, free revving? Under load?

The engine modes on the car itself are doing more than just adjusting how the muffler valve works from factory. They also adjust things like idle RPM, ignition timing, air/fuel ratio, intake and exhaust valve timing, etc which can all have an impact on the sound of the exhaust.