wheels forum so quiet... OK I ordered a set of forged rims.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Was going to get 19s but turns out it's illegal in my country (as usual?).

So going with 20s but will go up slightly in tire size (side wall 7mm taller) for a bit more comfort. Overall diameter goes up 2.3%, well within the 3% rule. Should fill out the wheel wells a bit better. Also reduced ET numbers by a few mm's. I already have some Continental CSC5P's lying around for the front. But will get some Vitour Spec-Z's for the rear. They have gotten great reviews. Tread pattern is interesting. Will see how they hold up.

Here is a pic of the STOCK setup for now. Will keep you posted.

8ee95a8b68cd0d3a7502baa95f6d0602~tplv-dy-resize-origshort-autoq-75:330.jpeg
1823183716.jpg

Last edited:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

So going with 20s but will go up slightly in tire size (side wall 7mm taller) for a bit more comfort. Overall diameter goes up 2.3%, well within the 3% rule. Should fill out the wheel wells a bit better. Also reduced ET numbers by a few mm's. I already have some Continental CSC5P's lying around for the front. But will get some Vitour Spec-Z's for the rear. They have gotten great reviews. Tread pattern is interesting. Will see how they hold up.

View attachment 38880

Interesting.. China doesn't allow owners to change their wheel diameter from the stock size?

Let's see the forged wheels you ordered.. Where'd you get them?

OP
wallstbear

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Interesting.. China doesn't allow owners to change their wheel diameter from the stock size?

Let's see the forged wheels you ordered.. Where'd you get them?
Apparently not. And the kicker is that even when the manufacturer has multiple lines of the same model with different wheel sizes, you still have to stick to the very wheel size your car first came with. That said, I did put 20s on my CLS and nobody has bothered me in 2-3 years. Then again, a grey sedan (or 4-door coupe or whatever) is not a yellow baby supercar.

I am getting them from a local alloy wheel plant that supplies for CHERY and a few other local auto makers. They don't have an English website yet but they seem legit (frankly forged wheels are fairly mature tech these days). Cost is cheap but I am directly interfacing with engineers... so rather deep in the supply chain if you know what I am saying.
LXLY.jpg

Last edited:

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve never tried different types of types on a car front and rear and wouldn’t if there was reason you didn’t keep to the same?
Also didn’t you like either of the Goodwood or Michelin Cup 2 options tested on the car already?

OP
wallstbear

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ve never tried different types of types on a car front and rear and wouldn’t if there was reason you didn’t keep to the same?
Also didn’t you like either of the Goodwood or Michelin Cup 2 options tested

It's mainly due to tire size availability and plus i have some Contis lying around and rotting away with a fair amount of mileage left in them.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's mainly due to tire size availability and plus i have some Contis lying around and rotting away with a fair amount of mileage left in them.
Have you worn through the originals and if do it would be good to hear your comparison. 👍🏻

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 38880
My 2014 Audi had the original 17” wheels swapped to 19” in about 2015 and is still on them (in China). Not had any issues so far, but then again we never asked. It’s had some inspections in that time, no questions asked.

Looking forward to these new wheels :cool:

Rupes

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Sorry for being slightly off topic, but this is fascinating to me - all in the name of safety, I assume? What is the punishment for wheels that aren't sized to OEM spec?

Biggles of Norwich

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Puzzled by this thread as the standard wheels are forged. Perhaps you have gone for a lighter wheel?

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sorry for being slightly off topic, but this is fascinating to me - all in the name of safety, I assume? What is the punishment for wheels that aren't sized to OEM spec?
To be fair there are plenty of countries that are very strict about modifications. Australia doesn’t allow engine modifications as far as I understand it, even though lots of people do modify their cars.

Agreed, it is a pretty ridiculous rule regards changing the wheels, but in reality nobody really cares IME. My car is running wheels 2” bigger than standard for the last 10 years, never even had a comment after several inspections. It’s not a legal matter, they might just make you put it back to standard.

OP
wallstbear

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yes in the name of safety. If they catch you for the first time, you will pay a CNY500-1000 fine and have points deducted from your total score (6 points out of a possible 12?) plus you have to restore it to factory setup. But if they catch you for the second time, it gets worse though.

Our friend @lynchy73 is probably right, when they don't bother you, they really don't bother you. But from what I heard, if they get into a revenue crunch, they will be all out hunting down the ricers...
10e64abb3795454c8f30a0ddc6bfae0d.jpeg

OP
wallstbear

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Have you worn through the originals and if do it would be good to hear your comparison. 👍🏻
The Cup2s not worn through yet but figured I'd get some regular street tires for the peace of mind...

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Cup2s not worn through yet but figured I'd get some regular street tires for the peace of mind...
Good idea.

I wouldn’t trust the Cup2 in colder conditions. Once up to temperature in the dry, the grip is amazing (had a Lotus track experience, those cars had cup2 and they gripped forever).

The back end gets pretty lively in Track mode on the I4 with the F1 tyres. With Cup2 fitted, you could easily have a very bad day…

The fact that the China I4 has more torque 480Nm (short geared too) and comes on boost more aggressively than the linear 3.5 V6 with SC, means can you easily get a bit of wheel spin.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes in the name of safety. If they catch you for the first time, you will pay a CNY500-1000 fine and have points deducted from your total score (6 points out of a possible 12?) plus you have to restore it to factory setup. But if they catch you for the second time, it gets worse though.

Our friend @lynchy73 is probably right, when they don't bother you, they really don't bother you. But from what I heard, if they get into a revenue crunch, they will be all out hunting down the ricers...
10e64abb3795454c8f30a0ddc6bfae0d.jpeg
I guess it depends on the car. My modded car is a tastefully modded Audi A6 (nice, not OTT wheels, slightly lowered, slow as shit and quiet).

OP
wallstbear

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the car. My modded car is a tastefully modded Audi A6 (nice, not OTT wheels, slightly lowered, slow as shit and quiet).
There you go. The Audi A6 is not only seen as a low profile vehicle but often associated with senior government officials so cops generally hesitate before stopping A6s.

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There you go. The Audi A6 is not only seen as a low profile vehicle but often associated with senior government officials so cops generally hesitate before stopping A6s.
Agreed. we maxed out the status equation, added a bit of cool bling and everyone assumes it’s a top of the line import model :cool: :ROFLMAO:

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts