Had wheels painted black. Will they ever look as good as factory painted (gloss) wheels?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi there

I know a detailer guy who has a really successful, well-reviewed shop here

I had the regular Emira wheels but recently thought they'd look cooler in black.

So I hired him.

The wheels look.. ok..

I thought it was a glossy powdercoating, it it seems like they have been sprayed.

Is that normal? I can see specks of spray and its not perfect glossy (like on my 992's glossy black wheels).

Is this kind of how it goes for re-painting wheels, or did he likely do shitty job?

Is it an easy fix to get them looking good?

Sorry this is not exactly a Lotus topic.

Last edited:

kennyn

Reaction score
When done correctly, paint or powder coating can match or even exceed the quality of factory finishing. It's easy enough to put right, just make sure the next place does them properly...fully stripped, meticulously clean, then the finish applied and cured.

robrmon

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I had one of my gloss black lotus evora wheels repaired a few years back. I honestly couldn’t tell you which one now. I fear you may have had some back luck. Take it somewhere else and see what they say.

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'd just suggest in general maybe taking a step back and slowing down. Seems like you've got a lot of questions about the car and lots of things that you want to change. Learn what you love about the car (so you know you want to invest in it), then learn what you want to improve and what is feasible. Then make sure you get it all done by reputable businesses with good products.

It just feels like you are going a million miles an hour to change the car, and luckily this question is only about how to fix your wheels, which is easily done.

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'd just suggest in general maybe taking a step back and slowing down. Seems like you've got a lot of questions about the car and lots of things that you want to change. Learn what you love about the car (so you know you want to invest in it), then learn what you want to improve and what is feasible. Then make sure you get it all done by reputable businesses with good products.

It just feels like you are going a million miles an hour to change the car, and luckily this question is only about how to fix your wheels, which is easily done.
Yes! I’ve noticed this too. OP, you need to take a breather and just enjoy ownership. Maybe don’t ask as many questions and go drive the damn thing!!

OP
luciddaydream

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yes! I’ve noticed this too. OP, you need to take a breather and just enjoy ownership. Maybe don’t ask as many questions and go drive the damn thing!!
Sorry my dudes. Definitely driving it.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
No need to apologize to anyone! Forums are for questions and you are excited about your new car. Trust me there have been people on here that wasted space on threads about nonsense. At least you are asking car questions. If people do not like it they can ignore it. Question away.🧐

Emirahouston

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi there

I know a detailer guy who has a really successful, well-reviewed shop here

I had the regular Emira wheels but recently thought they'd look cooler in black.

So I hired him.

The wheels look.. ok..

I thought it was a glossy powdercoating, it it seems like they have been sprayed.

Is that normal? I can see specks of spray and its not perfect glossy (like on my 992's glossy black wheels).

Is this kind of how it goes for re-painting wheels, or did he likely do shitty job?

Is it an easy fix to get them looking good?

Sorry this is not exactly a Lotus topic.
So I actually went the opposite route . I had black wheels but on shadow gray car with black calipers it just looked too bland ( I did not get to spec the car). So I had the dealer powder coat them in gold/ bronze. The first time they did it, the powered coating guy did not remove the original black paint and just sprayed over it and it looked terrible. Wayyy too dark and I could see a bunch of imperfections. Now that that have actually stripped all the paint off the wheels you can see that it’s much better and closer to the lighter good bronze versus dark brown. This is only the first coat so it will look a little different and I’ll post photos once I actually get the car but yes the key is to have them strip the original paint completely

Attachments

• IMG_3835.jpeg
    IMG_3835.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 52
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 52
OP
luciddaydream

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ok great thank you. Yes I trusted this guy and know he’s very reputable. So I am a bit surprised. Maybe I’ll just mention it. I’m sure he will make it right.

MIGZ

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So I actually went the opposite route . I had black wheels but on shadow gray car with black calipers it just looked too bland ( I did not get to spec the car). So I had the dealer powder coat them in gold/ bronze. The first time they did it, the powered coating guy did not remove the original black paint and just sprayed over it and it looked terrible. Wayyy too dark and I could see a bunch of imperfections. Now that that have actually stripped all the paint off the wheels you can see that it’s much better and closer to the lighter good bronze versus dark brown. This is only the first coat so it will look a little different and I’ll post photos once I actually get the car but yes the key is to have them strip the original paint completely
They must have painted over the old finish PC would not have bonded

Liquid Hot Magma

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
@luciddaydream if you get your wheels redone, also make sure that the five 60 degree tapered cone seats (bolt holes) don’t get powder coated. Under high clamping loads, and from the friction stress of tightening and loosening, powder coating in the cone seats could crack and delaminate over time, causing lug bolt(s) to loosen on their own. Just something to ensure the shop does properly.