Wales / Snowdonia Trip

Wake

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m looking at probably doing a trip in late March to Snowdonia national park. Wondering if any people here are familiar with the area? Good places to stay, great driving roads, places to eat? Probably just for a long weekend.

Any advice or local knowledge would be awesome.

Was planning this trip to run the Emira in before some longer Euro trips in the summer , but unsure if I will have the car by then! So will probably be taking the RX7 which at 15 MPG on a good day will mean a healthy supply of super unleaded will be required! 😂

A4212 from Bala, then B4391 to Ffestiniog is epic, particularly the 4391 section

Thanks, looks like an ace piece of road. Will add it to the list of roads to explore

The Bala area is where Top Gear filmed their review of the white Emira VP car:

Did a road trip through Wales a month ago. Got an empty A4069 (England match was on!), B5418 is nice, but even the A470 and A5 are pretty epic through Snowdonia if there's no traffic, and of course around Bala as mentioned already. In my Mx-5 ND with a heavy right foot I averaged 33mpg, I don't know what that thing runs on.

I always have a soft spot for Beddgelert as I used to camping there as a kid (with the ultimate aim of climbing mountains). In later years I stayed a few nights at the Plas Tan Y Graig which was very nice, albeit we're talking 10 years ago probably. Also now has the benefit of the Welsh Highland Railway running through it.

Am happy to join others on a Wales or NC500 trip.
@TomE had planned a great trip to the Isle of Man for September 2022. Alas, we all know that did happen due to delays.

Did a road trip through Wales a month ago. Got an empty A4069 (England match was on!), B5418 is nice, but even the A470 and A5 are pretty epic through Snowdonia if there's no traffic, and of course around Bala as mentioned already. In my Mx-5 ND with a heavy right foot I averaged 33mpg, I don't know what that thing runs on.
My NA MX5 is the same. Just gives a pretty consistent mid 30s no matter how I’m driving it. Although I do try to treat it more carefully now, it’s 33 years old now! I wish Mazda had worked out how to make the rotary a little more efficient!

I always have a soft spot for Beddgelert as I used to camping there as a kid (with the ultimate aim of climbing mountains). In later years I stayed a few nights at the Plas Tan Y Graig which was very nice, albeit we're talking 10 years ago probably. Also now has the benefit of the Welsh Highland Railway running through it.
I’ll give it a look! I did fancy doing the Snowdonia railway but it doesn’t open until April and my work commitments don’t allow me to go!

Am happy to join others on a Wales or NC500 trip.
@TomE had planned a great trip to the Isle of Man for September 2022. Alas, we all know that did happen due to delays.
I’d be keen for something like this. I had planned to do a highlands trip in late April/early May but it’s hard to plan anything without knowing what’s happening with the Emira!

@TomE Hopefully, yourself or A N Other can start some organised events for the Spring, Summer and Autumn. Maybe a thread first on possible intent would be good.

I would be down for anything, anywhere.
It would also be good to start thinking about group track day bookings.

There's already a thread running for people to make suggestions for 2023 and volunteer to organise things:

I'll be continuing to run the monthly breakfast meetings at Newlands Corner. I may organise a road trip/long weekend to Isle Of Man or Wales. Volunteers to organise events are always welcome!

I'll also create a 2023 UK events diary thread (like the 2022 one here) so there is a single reference point for all Lotus/Emira events we know about.

Hi guys,

I’m looking at probably doing a trip in late March to Snowdonia national park. Wondering if any people here are familiar with the area? Good places to stay, great driving roads, places to eat? Probably just for a long weekend.

Any advice or local knowledge would be awesome.

Was planning this trip to run the Emira in before some longer Euro trips in the summer , but unsure if I will have the car by then! So will probably be taking the RX7 which at 15 MPG on a good day will mean a healthy supply of super unleaded will be required! 😂
I've done the EVO triangle and a few of the roads in that area but most of my forays are in the Dales, Moors and Scotland I'm afraid.

North east meet would be great too… don’t have to own a lotus. The fact we’re all on here means we’re enthusiasts, owners or deposit holders.

I’ll come in my soon to be delivered mint 996 C4S 👍