Plan B activated

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
With the continued delays to the V6 auto Emira, I have now activated plan B.

Since I sold my Evora 410 Sport in October 2021 in anticipation of the Emira, I have been missing having a nice car. With the V6 auto not likely to appear for some months, I decided that I should look around for something to fill the gap. @Leonard very helpfully pointed me in the right direction with his Alpine A110 thread. I started to read up about these and watch some Youtube videos. The reviews across various car channels big and small are full of praise.

I went to my nearest Alpine showroom in Manchester and had a look at the three available models, the A110, A110S and A110GT. Interestingly, reviewers opinions are that the sweet spot is the base model the A110. The S and GT have slightly more power, but the car does not really need it for normal road use. The suspension is stiffer in the S variant and the GT variant has a upgraded interior with electric seats and upgraded finishes. There is a £10K premium for the GT on a new car.

If I wanted to spec a car myself, delivery would be March 2023 for alpine blue, the orange paint option would be May 2023. There were also some ready to register cars available immediately, if the spec suited what you wanted.

I didn’t take a test drive on the day as the traffic in Manchester was gridlocked. The salesman said that he usually arranges to meet you at your favourite road for test drives rather than battle through Manchester. I thought this was a very good idea, but I wasn’t sure how he would get the car to Route 66 !

By amazing coincidence, a supercar dealer just 15 minutes from where I live had an A110 just 3 months old with 2,500 miles and £6.5K of extras. I bought my Evora from them 2 years ago. It is an amazing place, it literally takes your breath away when you walk in. I phoned them yesterday to go and have a look. The Alpine was parked in front of a McLaren Senna (which was a bit distracting!), I was tempted by the Senna but then remembered I didn’t have £1.1 million to spend!

They happily handed me the keys for the Alpine and I set off for a test drive with my wife. It very much reminded me of the Evora with the driving position, power and a very good soundtrack (obviously very different to the Evora but sounded good nonetheless). It was way more comfortable that the Evora which had the Exige carbon bucket seats and with a more forgiving suspension, the ride quality was excellent. The steering was very similar to the Evora. The gearbox seems really good with rapid gear changes and in Sports mode you get extra noise form the exhaust with pops on the overrun. You also get whooshes from the turbo as it does its thing.

The interior finish is really good and it has got Apple Carplay & Android Auto which makes up for a more basic but functional Infotainment system.

The Alpine does not have the supercar looks of the Emira, but I will certainly be happy with the performance and everything else about the car. Other benefits are much cheaper insurance, I got a comprehensive quote for £199 with a manual Emira (can’t get auto quotes) coming in at £550. Fuel consumption is very good with 40mpg expected. Road tax is £520 (1st 5 years).

Collection will be next week and here is a picture.

1666794130364.png

My plan for the Emira is to leave me deposit in and see what happens next year. One of the big attractions about getting a First Edition was being amongst the first to get the car, but that is not going to happen now with the delays to the auto V6. I will be able to assess real world reviews and any issues encountered with the early manuals, plus the base configurator should be available and there should be more news on the I4. Although I am disappointed not to have the Emira, I feel that I have maneuvered into a strong position with a very nice car to drive in the meantime.
My options next year could be to just simply go ahead with the V6 Auto when it becomes available, spec up a base car, get an I4 or to stay with the Alpine. Lots of options really, these are just some of them, no doubt the world will have changed again by next summer, but I will wait happily now. I feel chilled out again now!
I will of course continue to read these forums and post whenever I feel I can add anything to the conversation. Thanks for reading.

Darn you beat me to it. Ryan the Sales Manager literally sent me a finance quote yesterday 😂
I was going to go back to him this morning first thing but had an unscheduled emergency dentist visit...
I am very happy for you though, its lovely and I think its a great shout. Being a V6 Auto deposit holder you probably deserve it more than me as well 🏆:)
Interested to hear your thoughts as I am considering an order for April time.

Last edited:
Darn you beat me to it. Ryan there literally sent me finance quote yesterday 😂
I am very happy for you though, its lovely and I think its a great shout 🏆:)
Thanks, so that was you! Ryan mentioned that someone had enquired the day before me. Isn't it the most amazing car showroom. On the middle of that industrial estate full of tradesmen getting building materials, paint etc and then millions of £'s of cars.

Thanks, so that was you! Ryan mentioned that someone had enquired the day before me. Isn't it the most amazing car showroom. On the middle of that industrial estate full of tradesmen getting building materials, paint etc and then millions of £'s of cars.
Yup that was muggins here 😂
I think you probably have the perfect spec base car as well.
I was considering this one but I just dont think I want a darkly painted car again as they are so hard to keep clean. Plus no CarPlay...

Speaking of Plan Bs, does anyone know how much GT430s are going for in the UK?

I've been looking at cobra's. Bit different but was going to get one after the Emira

Since I sold my Evora 410 Sport in October 2021 in anticipation of the Emira, I have been missing having a nice car. With the V6 auto not likely to appear for some months, I decided that I should look around for something to fill the gap. @Leonard very helpfully pointed me in the right direction with his Alpine A110 thread. I started to read up about these and watch some Youtube videos. The reviews across various car channels big and small are full of praise.

I went to my nearest Alpine showroom in Manchester and had a look at the three available models, the A110, A110S and A110GT. Interestingly, reviewers opinions are that the sweet spot is the base model the A110. The S and GT have slightly more power, but the car does not really need it for normal road use. The suspension is stiffer in the S variant and the GT variant has a upgraded interior with electric seats and upgraded finishes. There is a £10K premium for the GT on a new car.

If I wanted to spec a car myself, delivery would be March 2023 for alpine blue, the orange paint option would be May 2023. There were also some ready to register cars available immediately, if the spec suited what you wanted.

I didn’t take a test drive on the day as the traffic in Manchester was gridlocked. The salesman said that he usually arranges to meet you at your favourite road for test drives rather than battle through Manchester. I thought this was a very good idea, but I wasn’t sure how he would get the car to Route 66 !

By amazing coincidence, a supercar dealer just 15 minutes from where I live had an A110 just 3 months old with 2,500 miles and £6.5K of extras. I bought my Evora from them 2 years ago. It is an amazing place, it literally takes your breath away when you walk in. I phoned them yesterday to go and have a look. The Alpine was parked in front of a McLaren Senna (which was a bit distracting!), I was tempted by the Senna but then remembered I didn’t have £1.1 million to spend!

They happily handed me the keys for the Alpine and I set off for a test drive with my wife. It very much reminded me of the Evora with the driving position, power and a very good soundtrack (obviously very different to the Evora but sounded good nonetheless). It was way more comfortable that the Evora which had the Exige carbon bucket seats and with a more forgiving suspension, the ride quality was excellent. The steering was very similar to the Evora. The gearbox seems really good with rapid gear changes and in Sports mode you get extra noise form the exhaust with pops on the overrun. You also get whooshes from the turbo as it does its thing.

The interior finish is really good and it has got Apple Carplay & Android Auto which makes up for a more basic but functional Infotainment system.

The Alpine does not have the supercar looks of the Emira, but I will certainly be happy with the performance and everything else about the car. Other benefits are much cheaper insurance, I got a comprehensive quote for £199 with a manual Emira (can’t get auto quotes) coming in at £550. Fuel consumption is very good with 40mpg expected. Road tax is £520 (1st 5 years).

View attachment 10110

My plan for the Emira is to leave me deposit in and see what happens next year. One of the big attractions about getting a First Edition was being amongst the first to get the car, but that is not going to happen now with the delays to the auto V6. I will be able to assess real world reviews and any issues encountered with the early manuals, plus the base configurator should be available and there should be more news on the I4. Although I am disappointed not to have the Emira, I feel that I have maneuvered into a strong position with a very nice car to drive in the meantime.
My options next year could be to just simply go ahead with the V6 Auto when it becomes available, spec up a base car, get an I4 or to stay with the Alpine. Lots of options really, these are just some of them, no doubt the world will have changed again by next summer, but I will wait happily now. I feel chilled out again now!
I will of course continue to read these forums and post whenever I feel I can add anything to the conversation. Thanks for reading.
Massive congratulations thanks for the update - definitely keep us updated how you are enjoying her from my short demo they seem like such a fun car to drive, grey would be my colour choice or would like to see the emerald green in the flesh

Massive congratulations thanks for the update - definitely keep us updated how you are enjoying her from my short demo they seem like such a fun car to drive, grey would be my colour choice or would like to see the emerald green in the flesh
Green :) Both emerald green cars sold this week.

My plan B or plan C if you like started today this was my response from Porsche…..

We have not been allocated any 911 Carrera T yet. In fact we have not had any sports cars yet for next year. They will be allocated soon but we do not know when 911 Carrera t production will start.

I have just checked the finance calculator and the Carrera T is not showing yet. It could be next week when this is showing. There will be a change of APR from the current 8.9% to 10.9% from Tuesday of next week.

Here we go again 🫡😂

View attachment 10110

Good choice, let us know how you get on with it

Since I sold my Evora 410 Sport in October 2021 in anticipation of the Emira, I have been missing having a nice car. With the V6 auto not likely to appear for some months, I decided that I should look around for something to fill the gap. @Leonard very helpfully pointed me in the right direction with his Alpine A110 thread. I started to read up about

Now you know when someone gets married and everyone, everyone congratulates them, no one says, "well, I think your making a mistake", as that would just be rude. I think you know where I am going with this...
I had so much respect for you, obviously less so for Leonard, coming from the E midlands and all. I read your insight into the approvals process with great interest and all round I thought a great deal of you.
Im afraid thats all gone to pot now..... I may even have to trace back your comments and remove my likes and winners and usefuls and instead put sad unhappy faces... haha.

Okay, now I have got that out of my system, at least we still have leonard and our bet to see who gets to collect their car first in Solihull this/next/perhaps year, 100 pound riding on it.
Okay so seriously, I am very let down, I mean, I am very happy for you. There is no doubt the alpine, pound for pound is the most enjoyable car out there (after the caterham, but thats just for lunatics who live where there is Sun 11 months of the year).
I hope you enjoy your car and I I hope your wife gets to drive it too..... I also hope we get these same Auto boxes sorted for you to come back to the fold ..I think you will still want to...

Now you know when someone gets married and everyone, everyone congratulates them, no one says, "well, I think your making a mistake", as that would just be rude. I think you know where I am going with this...
I had so much respect for you, obviously less so for Leonard, coming from the E midlands and all. I read your insight into the approvals process with great interest and all round I thought a great deal of you.
Im afraid thats all gone to pot now..... I may even have to trace back your comments and remove my likes and winners and usefuls and instead put sad unhappy faces... haha.

Okay, now I have got that out of my system, at least we still have leonard and our bet to see who gets to collect their car first in Solihull this/next/perhaps year, 100 pound riding on it.
Okay so seriously, I am very let down, I mean, I am very happy for you. There is no doubt the alpine, pound for pound is the most enjoyable car out there (after the caterham, but thats just for lunatics who live where there is Sun 11 months of the year).
I hope you enjoy your car and I I hope your wife gets to drive it too..... I also hope we get these same Auto boxes sorted for you to come back to the fold ..I think you will still want to...
John's on a different boat to us though. We 'may' see cars before Xmas. Will John see his Auto V6 this side of July 2023....
That's 8 months at least in the Alpine!

John's on a different boat to us though. We 'may' see cars before Xmas. Will John see his Auto V6 this side of July 2023....
That's 8 months at least in the Alpine!
If I was him, I would 100% do the same, but that doesnt make it right.. haha...Not even I am right all the time....or am I?
SO LEONARD>>>>>
On to Plan C, which I wont do.. but guess what I was offered today at the porsche dealer..... apart from a free lunch, which I refused and paid for....

If I was him, I would 100% do the same, but that doesnt make it right.. haha...Not even I am right all the time....or am I?
SO LEONARD>>>>>
On to Plan C, which I wont do.. but guess what I was offered today at the porsche dealer..... apart from a free lunch, which I refused and paid for....
If you say a 718 Spyder RS allocation I will hunt you down and cheesecake you

If you say a 718 Spyder RS allocation I will hunt you down and cheesecake you
I DIDNT even know there was going to be one.. although of course it makes sense.. but YES.. a frigging Spyder RS

I think he said there would be 3 of them next year....

However, negatives...
185k estimated price over here...... thats too close to GT3 touring money...and I dont think you would get it back.... over here

RS generally has a lot of crap in the Frunk, and thats not shopping crap and a jack and and a sponge, its cooling stuff so no Frunk.
Suspension harder than Bruce Less.....

And worst of all, an interior from a 40k car from... 8 years ago!...
Tempting..just to annoy you yes, but realistically not a good proposition.....

Below is what I'd really like....... cant help it...

1666808448714.png

1666808406830.png

I DIDNT even know there was going to be one.. although of course it makes sense.. but YES.. a frigging Spyder RS

I think he said there would be 3 of them next year....

However, negatives...
185k estimated price over here...... thats too close to GT3 touring money...and I dont think you would get it back.... over here

RS generally has a lot of crap in the Frunk, and thats not shopping crap and a jack and and a sponge, its cooling stuff so no Frunk.
Suspension harder than Bruce Less.....

And worst of all, an interior from a 40k car from... 8 years ago!...
Tempting..just to annoy you yes, but realistically not a good proposition.....

Below is what I'd really like....... cant help it...

View attachment 10125

View attachment 10124
I hate you 😑 😒
🤣
I agree a lot of money though and that would be better spent on a Touring
Spyder RS will be a crazy rare little beastie though in the future for sure. You probably couldn't/wouldn't go wrong....

View attachment 10110

I understand why you’ve done this and it makes a lot of sense. A shame that Lotus have not just messed you about like most of us, but also the extra uncertainty and lack of comms around the V6 Auto situation.

I know a couple of people with Alpines and they love them. I test drove one and it’s very Lotus-like in many ways. A good choice as an interim and viable as a longer term hold if you decide to postpone or ditch the Emira.

The lack of manual and the looks ruled it out for me. But happy for you in having a way forward while you work out what Plan A, C and D-Z might be :)