USA/Canada Delivery Thread

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The NYC offload is likely actually Newark. The "Port of New York & New Jersey" has most of their auto facility on the NJ side. Newark has the big RoRo terminal:
1711638785191.png

Here's the layout from the Port of NY website, you can see the tip of Manhattan on the upper right for context:
1711638987512.png

More detail on the specific services at the port for auto offload:

[edit] I thought they still used the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal for some of this stuff but it's apparently no longer used for some reason. Logistics from there by ground are probably harder?
[edit] Oh wow, they've repurposed it to become an offshore wind logistics/staging terminal for building massive offshore wind farms. That's crazy. https://www.empirewind.com/2024/02/01/south-brooklyn-marine-terminal-design-approval/

Last edited:

4MIR3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The NYC offload is likely actually Newark. The "Port of New York & New Jersey" has most of their auto facility on the NJ side. Newark has the big RoRo terminal:
View attachment 40002

Here's the layout from the Port of NY website, you can see the tip of Manhattan on the upper right for context:
View attachment 40004

More detail on the specific services at the port for auto offload:

[edit] I thought they still used the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal for some of this stuff but it's apparently no longer used for some reason. Logistics from there by ground are probably harder?
[edit] Oh wow, they've repurposed it to become an offshore wind logistics/staging terminal for building massive offshore wind farms. That's crazy. https://www.empirewind.com/2024/02/01/south-brooklyn-marine-terminal-design-approval/
It's at the container depot now... I assume it will move over to the NJ auto side once ready.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great we will have dripings from sandwiches & Pizza sauce all over the interior now. :mad: Lol

I lived in NY so I can say this, joking too but maybe not.
Well we don't know if they're offloading Emiras there or not. All a guessing game until the manifests hit the public records databases. They might miss their deli sandwich date and keep sailing!

4MIR3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Well we don't know if they're offloading Emiras there or not. All a guessing game until the manifests hit the public records databases. They might miss their deli sandwich date and keep sailing!
Looking at satellite maps... NY/NJ looks more geared to Auto dispatching than Norfolk. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Like you said... it's all guesswork at this moment.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Looking at satellite maps... NY/NJ looks more geared to Auto dispatching than Norfolk. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Like you said... it's all guesswork at this moment.
All of these RoRo terminals have very similar capabilities. Sometimes a manufacturer will build out a special port process with their own facility if they have enough volume (BMW, VW, etc), but it's not common for a small manufacturer like Lotus.

ameeriklane

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Which dealer are you at? I’m assuming it’s the same one. Have you heard anything other than the 2 “don’t call us… we’ll call you” emails?

Same here. Car arrived at port on 12/29/23. Same dealer. Same email. I guess our cars are hanging out together somewhere in.. Baltimore... Detroit?

On the one hand, I do understand our dealer is getting a big stream of cars arriving all at once and that's a lot to handle in terms of prep, paperwork, and dealing with customers. On the other hand, they've known for more than 2 years that this day would eventually come. Why not plan for it?

I wonder if they will replace our batteries by the time we take delivery. SItting for months without any use or battery tender is not how I'd treat my car.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Where is the roro terminal in Norfolk... I can't find it.
It's at Newport News Marine Terminal. Info from combined Port of Virginia: https://www.portofvirginia.com/capabilities/

Some detail here with satellite images: https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/usa-canada-delivery-thread.2183/post-127692

Context map:
1711644317122.png

FYI this map makes these facilities look small, but it's because that area is so vast. These are absolutely huge areas, physically much bigger than you would assume looking at the map. If you zoom in on that area with satellite view the full scale aircraft carriers of the Atlantic Fleet look tiny.

ameeriklane

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus uses Wallenius Wilhelmsen as their freight handler in Baltimore. I'm guessing they can't just strike up a new contract with another handler with a day or two notice (or maybe I'm wrong).

As of today, Wallenius's update on the Baltimore bridge collapse doesn't mention moving operations to another port. Assuming they did, I imagine they'd move operations to a port where they already have operations.

They have offices in Ann Arbor, Baltimore, Parsippany, Brunswick (GA), Charleston, Savannah. At the same link, they have terminals in Baltimore and Brunswick (on the east coast). Brunswick claims to be the second busiest RoRo port in the US.

So if I were Lotus, I'd probably prefer the cars be offloaded in Brunswick. But, Lotus doesn't exactly have control of the ship's direction either.

4MIR3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Lotus uses Wallenius Wilhelmsen as their freight handler in Baltimore. I'm guessing they can't just strike up a new contract with another handler with a day or two notice (or maybe I'm wrong).

As of today, Wallenius's update on the Baltimore bridge collapse doesn't mention moving operations to another port. Assuming they did, I imagine they'd move operations to a port where they already have operations.

They have offices in Ann Arbor, Baltimore, Parsippany, Brunswick (GA), Charleston, Savannah. At the same link, they have terminals in Baltimore and Brunswick (on the east coast). Brunswick claims to be the second busiest RoRo port in the US.

So if I were Lotus, I'd probably prefer the cars be offloaded in Brunswick. But, Lotus doesn't exactly have control of the ship's direction either.
That's the problem... Atlantic doesn't operate out of those ports... nor is it on their schedule for a temp reroute. My bet is either New York or Norfolk.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score

WW has a vehicle processing center in Newport News, which is a part of port of Virginia, but not the same as Norfolk, I wonder if Atlantic Sea will dock there to discharge cars.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
WW has a vehicle processing center in Newport News, which is a part of port of Virginia, but not the same as Norfolk, I wonder if Atlantic Sea will dock there to discharge cars.
It's part of the same Port Authority, just like NYC and Newark. Marine freight treats each Port as a combined destination and can often make multiple stops within it based on the type of cargo. And different entities (sea cargo vs. trucking) will sometimes call the same location different things.

Wallenius Wilhelmsen auto processing facilities map in USA
1711647552646.png

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think I missed it but has anyone in CARB state taken delivery or have a estimated delivery date? Where were these cars being held during CARBgate?

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is interesting... apparently ACL does some RoRo at the main Norfolk terminal. There's no obvious holding lot for it though. Hmm.

Zardoz

Reaction score
Just received an email saying my car is on the water. Dealer is not sure which port it is coming into. BUT he said it will be 1st transported to the Lotus Baltimore facility to be prepped & then transported to dealer. So what I infer is that regardless of which port it arrives, it still needs to be transported to Baltimore before it arrives at dealer.

4MIR3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just received an email saying my car is on the water. Dealer is not sure which port it is coming into. BUT he said it will be 1st transported to the Lotus Baltimore facility to be prepped & then transported to dealer. So what I infer is that regardless of which port it arrives, it still needs to be transported to Baltimore before it arrives at dealer.
So my assumption was right.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Wonder how that transportation will be carried out... hopefully hauled and not driven.