Toyota building an electric Evora? FT-Se MR EV sports car

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So I was at this show, and have a few pics I'll share.

The "MR2" was VERY Evora in person. It was my first immediate thought. Honestly, I love it and I'd have one.

Gotta disagree respectfully with @Eagle7 , I adored the Mazda Iconic SP. Beautiful car in person.

The Toyota EPU pickup was pretty great. I want one! They better make that it'll sell like mad. The Nissan Hyper Punk SUV thing, as much as I roll my eyes at the "for artists and creatives as a mobile studio" angle, looked VERY cool in person with gorgeous surfacing. The Hyper Tourer minivan was also very impressive in person.

Edit: Sorry @Eagle7 I misread your post and thought you were talking about the Mazda being the ugly one. Agree, that Mazda is pure desire.

IMG_0589.jpeg
IMG_0716.jpeg
IMG_1363.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 11.49.33 AM.png
IMG_0662 (1).jpeg
IMG_1311.jpeg
IMG_1317.jpeg
IMG_1127.jpeg
IMG_0802.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0470 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0470 (1).jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 17

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
@GetawayDriving thanks for sharing your opinions and photos. I usually don’t like futuristic designs, but I think this totally works. It also looks like it is clearly based on the evora chassis so it may be a collab with the Lotus electric frame. If so there is a better chance that the design stays proportionally whole with some tweaks. And this in the flesh design looks way better than the previous concepts. The Cadillac like front daytime running lights and the rear lights look sexy as hell.

I’m intrigued by the claimed lighter weight batteries, the side vent that extends (what does it do?), simulated manual and a reference to drifting. All signs point to trying to make a genuinely exciting car.

For me the excitement about this car reminds me of how excited I was to find out about the new emira. I could see myself pulling out of an emira and waiting for this depending on how soon we get more news and what we learn.

I’m also interested in the electric cayman but I expect that it will follow the taycan design cues which are far too Tesla like - bland - for my taste. This Toyota design seems to genuinely reference a new type of car. Kind of like bangle did for BMW- it’s a new design language.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@GetawayDriving thanks for sharing your opinions and photos. I usually don’t like futuristic designs, but I think this totally works. It also looks like it is clearly based on the evora chassis so it may be a collab with the Lotus electric frame. If so there is a better chance that the design stays proportionally whole with some tweaks. And this in the flesh design looks way better than the previous concepts. The Cadillac like front daytime running lights and the rear lights look sexy as hell.

I’m intrigued by the claimed lighter weight batteries, the side vent that extends (what does it do?), simulated manual and a reference to drifting. All signs point to trying to make a genuinely exciting car.

For me the excitement about this car reminds me of how excited I was to find out about the new emira. I could see myself pulling out of an emira and waiting for this depending on how soon we get more news and what we learn.

I’m also interested in the electric cayman but I expect that it will follow the taycan design cues which are far too Tesla like - bland - for my taste. This Toyota design seems to genuinely reference a new type of car. Kind of like bangle did for BMW- it’s a new design language.
Unless Lotus changed their LEVA architecture, this is not likely based on that. The wheel base is different and LEVA does not support AWD as far as I understand, only RWD.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Unless Lotus changed their LEVA architecture, this is not likely based on that. The wheel base is different and LEVA does not support AWD as far as I understand, only RWD.
Might not be but the overall shape is uncanny. I think the LEVA frame is modular as far as length and the FT SE might be RWD. In any case I actually hope it’s NOT based on Lotus. We don’t want more delays!

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
New MR2 is coming - no hybrid, no EV. Looks like Evorish from the renders! 320 BHP estimates and comes with a manual….. thoughts?

Gprodigy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
New MR2 is coming - no hybrid, no EV. Looks like Evorish from the renders! 320 BHP estimates and comes with a manual….. thoughts?

It says 50-100 units Japan only. Which means it’s going to be $$$$$ collectors car(Similar to the 2023 Countachs). I’m assuming those are just rough AI renders shown to gab attention in their magazine.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Data source is "BEST CAR" magazine, soooo....
It would be nice to see something affordable come from Toyota, though.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Who knows what Toyota’s actual plan will be, but it does seem awful close to an evora / Emira.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
As a fan of the mr2 platform I don’t like it.

320 HP in todays age is ridiculous. There is no way it weighs less than 3000 lbs. should be close to 400 to be competitive with what’s out there. That’s the same mistake they made with the Mr-S. Underpowered so you only compared it to the Miata.

Also the design is ugly. The electric concept is waaay better looking. I do kind of like the two deck look. You just don’t see that much.

Thanks for sharing.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
As a fan of the mr2 platform I don’t like it.

320 HP in todays age is ridiculous. There is no way it weighs less than 3000 lbs. should be close to 400 to be competitive with what’s out there. That’s the same mistake they made with the Mr-S. Underpowered so you only compared it to the Miata.

Also the design is ugly. The electric concept is waaay better looking. I do kind of like the two deck look. You just don’t see that much.

Thanks for sharing.
I agree, 320 BHP seems low, but if they get the weight down below the supra by 2-300 lbs it might be a good option. Miata weighs in well under 3k lbs. it is possible.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe Toyota is confused about where to place the mr2 in their line up and thinks it should have less power than a Supra. That would be a shame. They should market the Supra as a tunable rocket and the mr2 as a more pure sportscar.

The new Miata is a fantastic car. I can’t believe how they got the weight down. Really shocked me.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts