Toyota building an electric Evora? FT-Se MR EV sports car

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is confusingly close in design to an Evora. Maybe this is the fruit of some kind of cooperative between the companies?

jms_toyota_04.jpg

jms_toyota_05.jpg

4MIR3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
How so? Because it's mid-engined proportioned? Design language is totally different IMHO. I see more Porsche Mission X.

OP
Porter

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How so? Because it's mid-engined proportioned? Design language is totally different IMHO.
The greenhouse shape, the roof panel design, and the C pillar integration into the rear 3/4 are so similar that I can't unsee it. It's literally closer in physical design to the Evora than the Emira is.

Here's a "bare" early Evora to show you what I mean. Look at the windscreen shape, the angle of the A pillar, the double-bubble roof (could literally be the same mold) and the physical geometry of the rear fender to C pillar. The Toyota covers the rear side window location with a body panel, so the line joins the roof earlier rather than at the rear window.

5306729417_d395c66544_c.jpg

Last edited:

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It sure looks like a huge radiator up front. Wouldnt think an EV would need that big snout.....trying to mimic BMW?

No desire to own a pure EV but would like to see Toyota actually make it.

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It sure looks like a huge radiator up front. Wouldnt think an EV would need that big snout.....trying to mimic BMW?

It's to scoop up small children to put to work in the cobalt mines!

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

The batteries and brakes still need cooling. The more power the more heat

ADC

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The greenhouse shape, the roof panel design, and the C pillar integration into the rear 3/4 are so similar that I can't unsee it. It's literally closer in physical design to the Evora than the Emira is.

Here's a "bare" early Evora to show you what I mean. Look at the windscreen shape, the angle of the A pillar, the double-bubble roof (could literally be the same mold) and the physical geometry of the rear fender to C pillar. The Toyota covers the rear side window location with a body panel, so the line joins the roof earlier rather than at the rear window.

5306729417_d395c66544_c.jpg
Yeah... I'll admit I saw the resemblance on the roof and rear quarters at that angle too (even before you posted the actual Evora pic). I think it looks pretty cool, and I hope they push it through to production.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Yeah... I'll admit I saw the resemblance on the roof and rear quarters at that angle too (even before you posted the actual Evora pic). I think it looks pretty cool, and I hope they push it through to production.
There is a resemblance I suppose. I too hope it is pushed into production. I guess the most important spec of any sportscar EV will be the weight. At least that's what I am looking at.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I kind of like the design. Not sure I’m ready for EV but will keep open mind.

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Looks amazing if you ask me. It would compliment nicely with an Emira next to it in a garage. :)

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The resemblance is pretty strong if you ask me. The overall proportions are what gets me. The wheelbase (both cars are 2.6M) compared to the overall length of the car, the location of the door, the location and shape of the A, B, and C pillars, the general shape of the roofline, etc. This is more than just a passing similarity due to the generic shapes of sports cars. The ghost of Evora in green below:

jms_toyota_05-vs-evora.jpg

Last edited:

KusaKusa

Reaction score
Doubt this will be an actual vehicle at least for 4+ years, if at all. Japanese automakers have been really bad with paying EV lip service with a bunch of concepts but not much actually being delivered in capability innovation or vehicle types (sports cars). All of them have been promising solid state batteries, but we'll have to see test drives or ride alongs with actual prototypes before it's believable.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The resemblance is pretty strong if you ask me. The overall proportions are what gets me. The wheelbase (both cars are 2.6M) compared to the overall length of the car, the location of the door, the location and shape of the A, B, and C pillars, the general shape of the roofline, etc. This is more than just a passing similarity due to the generic shapes of sports cars. The ghost of Evora in green below:
I think you nailed it. Which makes me wonder: the Evora was never considered particularly lovely when it was on sale, which accounted for its lackluster numbers. Was it just ahead of its time?

ADC

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You mean to make the batteries that power your phone and laptop?
Yes, for those too. Plus, as an added bonus, it keeps them off my lawn.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I think you nailed it. Which makes me wonder: the Evora was never considered particularly lovely when it was on sale, which accounted for its lackluster numbers. Was it just ahead of its time?

I still don't find the Evora to be particularly attractive overall, but certain distinctive elements of its design is very endearing. The greenhouse shape is a dominant theme and reminds me of LeMans LMP cars. The severely pinched waist is another one - it flares out rather dramatically from the B pillar in both fore/aft directions, and not just in terms of body width, but the vertical thickness of the car due to the use of black rocker panels that hide the true floor line of the car.

We see both of these design elements in the Toyota.

Overall, however, I find the design of the Evora to be a little clumsy. Some of it might have been accommodations for manufacturing and assembly considerations; issues that are of less concern with the Emira. For example, the rear clamshell design necessitated a significant body line in front of the rear wheel. Ironically, Toyota's design has a similar shape in this area.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Doubt this will be an actual vehicle at least for 4+ years, if at all. Japanese automakers have been really bad with paying EV lip service with a bunch of concepts but not much actually being delivered in capability innovation or vehicle types (sports cars). All of them have been promising solid state batteries, but we'll have to see test drives or ride alongs with actual prototypes before it's believable.
Japan is also into alternative fuel power vs electric

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts