• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

If Lotus ever replaced the Toyota 3.5L with another V6....

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I know, I know... everything's going electric. But WHAT IF...?

The GM 5th-gen 4.3L LV3 V6 "EcoTec3" truck engine would be a modern, low-cost, ultra-durable, and fascinating option for a lot of the same reasons that the Toyota V6 was chosen. Not super heavy since it's all-aluminum. It's a pushrod V6 (heads are compact) with continuously variable valve timing. And supports a wide range of fueling controls (E10, E85, etc). And in this case has very good engineering support for the engine management development. And there are lots of different approaches available for transmissions, far broader than the Toyota motor.

1663609586316.png

Here's one swapped into a 987 Cayman. It apparently fits nicely into a Cayman in ways that V8s do not. And makes a great noise.

Here's one on an engine dyno, from "stock" 285hp/305 lb-ft, in various built configurations up to 644hp/730 lb-ft. That's 989 Nm of torque.

I know this is silly talk, I'm just thinking through what the "next gen" of Lotus-engineered sports cars could be powered with. The Radford collaboration will not be their last, and not every application is appropriate for electrification.

Last edited:
OP
Porter

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Another option is the LGX 3.6L DOHC motor from the recent Camaro, or the LGZ version (similar) from the Colorado pickup. Both would be a similarly good option, though taller and narrower in profile. Maybe that's a good thing for a transverse mounting (like the existing V6) if they didn't want to explore a longitudinal setup. Supercharger systems exist for this as well, including an Edelbrock that's off the shelf.

If they wanted to do a turbocharged engine rather than supercharged, there are off-the-shelf fully developed high output engine packages from GM like the LGY/LGW at 3.0L making 360-400hp, or LF3/LF4 at 3.6L making 420-470hp. But packaging and heat would likely be a significant concern in a mid-engine application.

They have some other new stuff coming out too, variants of these for truck applications.

Last edited:

Mark.

Reaction score
They are using the Toyota engine because it's what they know and the AMG engine as Geely own 10% of Merc

OP
Porter

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They are using the Toyota engine because it's what they know and the AMG engine as Geely own 10% of Merc
I understand that, Mark. I'm suggesting future options because the Toyota engine is end of life and doesn't meet any modern emissions standards anyway. This is a thought exercise.

Also, with regard to the AMG I4... it remains to be seen what they will be able to do with that engine at increased power levels. They apparently have already had some significant cooling challenges with it at the stock output level. Hopefully they will do great things with it, but if it's already a series of difficulties now, then they may need to explore other options in high-output applications. It's notable that the Radford cars use the Toyota motor and not the AMG.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
A small V8 with a flat plane crank would have taken it to the next level. Get it done by Cosworth, 450bhp for starters (dont tone the chassis down so it handles like an Audi 😉) and the Emira is suddenly competing with the 992 and you can add 20k to the sticker price

OP
Porter

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A small V8 with a flat plane crank would have taken it to the next level. Get it done by Cosworth, 450bhp for starters (dont tone the chassis down so it handles like an Audi 😉) and the Emira is suddenly competing with the 992 and you can add 20k to the sticker price
I think the challenge even with a small V8 is the packaging. They've really built their architecture around transverse mounting. It creates some real limitations.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I think the challenge even with a small V8 is the packaging. They've really built their architecture around transverse mounting. It creates some real limitations.
Cosworth can do anything 😉 Plus you know u are going to get an iconic engine which counts for sooo much and they have history. Would have been a win in my book.

TRX250EX

Reaction score
This is in my opinion only reason + gearbox why this car didn't win driver's car of the year or became one of best ever, the engine wasn't inspiring for alot of guys, it's something we heard and felt for decade now, so doesn't feel special or keeps making you smile more and more.

Driver's car usually takes track driving into consideration and that's where this became Emira weakness, on the road I said it before it's suitable engine with linear power, good torque, good sound at low revs.

Why Lotus didn't do it? I just felt like they not gonna make profit for just one generation of Emira while they have access to I4 engine, so they gave both.

However just wait and you will see something interesting coming out of Lotus soon with interesting powertrain, can't say what it's though, but should be soon.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I rather just have a BMW TwinTurbo S55 in the Emira and call it a day. One of my favorite 6-cylinder's ever.
Bit boring tho...
Anything 80k and over needs to be bespoke. Morgan just about get away with it being a hand-built car, but.....

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Cosworth did a race engine for the Evora GTA and Jet Alliance Le Mans car. It was based on the Toyota V6, enlarged to 4.0 litres and tuned to 440hp, done about 10 years ago.

The Lotus-Cosworth partnership goes way back, with Lotus the first F1 team to use the iconic Cosworth DFV.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Cosworth did a race engine for the Evora GTA and Jet Alliance Le Mans car. It was based on the Toyota V6, enlarged to 4.0 litres and tuned to 440hp, done about 10 years ago.

The Lotus-Cosworth partnership goes way back, with Lotus the first F1 texam to use the iconic Cosworth DFV.
It would have been a nice little tie in wouldn't it.
Taking the Toyota element out of the equation would have added so much value to the Emira package both metaphorically and figuratively.
I'm sure it would have probably been impossible to do though in the numbers that Lotus are looking at producing though

AlexB

Reaction score
3.8L twin turbo v6 from a Nissan GT-R would do me - 570bhp before you’ve even started tuning it 😄