Toyota 2GR-FE Oil Leaks

SteveB

Reaction score
Don’t know much about this engine but it seems to have a good reputation. Just found this YouTube video that gives a good review of the engine and its Achilles heel - timing chain cover oil leaks. Presumably Lotus are aware and steps taken to address this issue. Hopefully if the timing chain cover needs to be removed and resealed it’s not as big a job for the Emira as on the Lexus in the video!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Useful info. I hadn't heard of oil leaks like this reported on the V6 in the Evora or Exige. A quick search on a couple of other Lotus forums isn't showing anything, so that looks promising.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I don’t think lotus addresses this at all, likely the fact that most lotuses don’t see a lot of miles means this doesn’t pop up often.

This is one of the only major issues left with the 2GR.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Also this would be an engine out repair on the Emira. I would would expect it to be quite expensive in labor.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I would think that Toyota addressed this and not Lotus.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I would think that Toyota addressed this and not Lotus.
They addressed the bigger oil leak failure that becomes catastrophic from the vvti oil supply leak but not the timing cover.

I’m sort of surprised to be honest, I had heard of the other failures when I reached the engine over a year ago and was glad to hear everything was addressed. I’m wondering what failure rates this issue has.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Have a search on LotusTalk to see if anyone in the US has reported it on an Evora V6. I've looked on the main UK Lotus and Evora forums and have found zero cases reported.

There are folks running Evoras with 80-120k miles now, so if it's mileage related it ought to have come up on some cars by now if it's an issue.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Have a search on LotusTalk to see if anyone in the US has reported it on an Evora V6. I've looked on the main UK Lotus and Evora forums and have found zero cases reported.

There are folks running Evoras with 80-120k miles now, so if it's mileage related it ought to have come up on some cars by now if it's an issue.
Found some talk in Toyota forums saying that Toyota fixed the issue by machining the two interfaces less smoothly to get the sealant to stick better. Unconfirmed at best but entirely possible.

Cory

Reaction score
This may not be applicable because the engine is not supercharged, but I have 150k on this engine since 2012 and haven’t had a single issue. In fact in runs as smooth as the day I bought it new.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If the Lotus engine mounts and chassis are more rigid than the traditional sub-frames used in other 2GR-FE applications, could that result in less wear on the cover seals?

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Highly enjoyable video. I can only hope the Lotus Melbourne mechanics are as thorough.

Oil supply/leaks seem to be the single biggest issue with the 2GR-FE. I watched another video where the guy completely dissembled the engine and traced the oil flow paths. He mentioned that the convoluted way it uptakes oil is the engine’s biggest design fault.

Make sure you have those regular oil changes, and watch for spots on the driveway!

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Highly enjoyable video. I can only hope the Lotus Melbourne mechanics are as thorough.

Oil supply/leaks seem to be the single biggest issue with the 2GR-FE. I watched another video where the guy completely dissembled the engine and traced the oil flow paths. He mentioned that the convoluted way it uptakes oil is the engine’s biggest design fault.

Make sure you have those regular oil changes, and watch for spots on the driveway!

On forums we tend to overemphasize the most minute of details and obsess over them as if they're what's keeping us from world peace.

The 2GR-FE engine has been in production for well over a decade and is considered one of the most reliable engines made by the most reliable brand out there. The few issues in early engines have been fixed. Check out this abused 2GR-FE, out of a 2008 Toyota Sienna w/178k miles. It's fun to watch and gives me confidence knowing that with standard maintenance (I doubt the minivan had it) the engine will last "forever."

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

JXJ

Reaction score
Useful info. I hadn't heard of oil leaks like this reported on the V6 in the Evora or Exige. A quick search on a couple of other Lotus forums isn't showing anything, so that looks promising.
I second that I owned a Exige V6S for 5 years no oil leaks and no oil consumption between services 20k plus miles, it’s a great engine 😀

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have a 2016 V6 S3 Exige 350S. It has travelled 100,000Km and runs as good as the day I bought it. No oil leaks or any other issues. A great engine. This video is on a engine from 10 years ago (still worth a watch though) - lots of mods since then to eliminate early issues. To me the v6 is bullet proof reliability wise.