2GR-FE on Car Care Nut

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I just wanted to mention that I had been doing a deeper dive into the 2GR-FE and all the common issues that have been present throughout the iterations. One specific channel on YouTube has been really fantastic at covering all the issues. Figured you guys might wanna binge some of them as well.

The most recent one I watched was released today and covers the oil cooler lines that used to be made of rubber and would harden and crack and dump the entire engine’s oil out. It’s been since rectified with a metal line, I even went and skipped through a factory tour video to see if I could find the upgraded oil cooler lines — sure enough they’re there!

----------------------------------------

UPDATE: I've started a spreadsheet of 2GR-FE issues and their potential impact to the Emira.

Some of the columns need explaining:
  • Issue: Short description of the issue
  • Engine Severity: The severity the issue poses to the engine, Critical, Major, and Minor
  • Summary: Description of what fails
  • Cause: Why the failure occurs
  • Preventable via Maintenance: If the issue can be prevented with maintenance
  • Addressed: If the issue was addressed by Toyota and what year it was addressed.
  • Remedy: What is done to fix the issue
  • Applicable Severity: The severity of the issue as it pertains specifically to the Emira
  • Severity Notes: May include some notes as to the rationale behind the Applicable Severity
  • Source: Any links I may find important

Last edited:
OP
kitkat

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This engine has very few flaws, I’d say maybe only one or two that are still present in the current iterations, all the scary stuff of before has been rectified.

Not perfect, but close.

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That’s why I laugh when people try to joke about the Camry engine , it’s a reliable car perfect for the drivers who will hold the car for ages and don’t want to spend huge amount of money on maintenance

OP
kitkat

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi all, I wanted to share all the various issues I've researched. I ended up making a google doc for it.

• Engine Severity: The severity the issue poses to the engine, Critical, Major, and Minor
  • Addressed: If the issue was addressed by Toyota and what year it was addressed.
  • Applicable Severity: The severity of the issue as it pertains specifically to the Emira
  • Severity Notes: May include some notes as to the rationale behind the Applicable Severity
I've also updated the first post with spreadsheet details.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi all, I wanted to share all the various issues I've researched. I ended up making a google doc for it.

I've also updated the first post with spreadsheet details.
What an awesome post, thank you @kitkat!

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You have now sparked my curiosity about all known M139 engine issues and remedies. The M139 is not a trivial engine with some components (e.g. pulley/belt) being buried between the engine and transmission. Add the massive turbo heat soak and I don't think they will have anywhere near the longevity of the Toyota engine.

OP
kitkat

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You have now sparked my curiosity about all known M139 engine issues and remedies. The M139 is not a trivial engine with some components (e.g. pulley/belt) being buried between the engine and transmission. Add the massive turbo heat soak and I don't think they will have anywhere near the longevity of the Toyota engine.
I was once on board the M139 train for the Emira, but after doing a lot of digging I found just a complete lack of reliability knowledge or even forum support for people who own an A45S. It’s what actually made me move over to the 2GR-FE.

The M139 is simply too new and the community behind them is likely a different audience than one who provides a wealth of knowledge online. I’d imagine if any issues have come up yet, they’ve made quick warranty work of it and most of the real issues haven’t had time to come up. It also doesn’t help that the m139 hasn’t shipped to a larger world market yet — just Europe from what I can tell.

Doesn’t mean it’s inferior in any way, just a much bigger unknown.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, this is super useful! Thank you for compiling this data. There is a FB group for 2GR owners (mostly MR2 guys doing full builds) and I've noticed a few comments about the oil cooler line issue. Glad to hear it shouldn't be a problem on the Lotus.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts