• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

EV Poll - Do you want a sports car EV

Will you buy an sports car EV

• Total voters

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
To be honest, I am not an avid fan of EVs, but the way Lotus configures and sets up their cars to ride and handle, and if they can produce them at a reasonable cost when compared to other EVs, plus if the Evija is anything to go by, I think Lotus may be on to a winner here.

A more detailed write up in the latest Autocar magazine - the artist's impression of the new car, which clearly takes its cues from Emira, is rather striking:
New Lotus electric sports car to use Britishvolt batteries

Last edited:
OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
@TomE to summarize it comes down to profit margins. I could list a hundred reason from complete lack of vertical or even horizontal integration to the manufacturing process which isn't in production but is already 5 years behind what a company like Tesla is doing. All of them will never be changed and as technology advances they will fall further behind. To put it as analogy Lotus is on rocket and that rocket is traveling slower and is further behind so it will never catch up.

Consumers are a huge part of this equation. Not everyone will want a Tesla.

DrNio13

Reaction score
I hope EV sports cars could be an opportunity to have decent size back seats. Since there is no engine, it could create more interior space. And I am not talking about a sport sedans, but "Emira-looking" sports cars. Since that will take few more years, let's settle with the Emira for now :)

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not even remotely interested in an EV sports car. A sports car without the sounds of the engine (induction and exhaust), the power that builds to redline (not instant torque at zero rpm) the gear changes, the lighter weight, is a bit like sex without the feel of a warm body in your arms, a voice in your ear. Simply pointless in my opinion.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think Porsche (and therefore VW) are doing it smartly and will succeed in the EV space with their approach. Other companies like Toyota are falling behind as each day passes which is worrisome. I honestly think here's a chance some of these giants may be the next version of Kodak or Nokia if they don't adopt quickly enough. I echo what others have already said and Lotus appears to be getting ahead with their new massive investments in manufacturing which is good.

Watching the latest Mission R concept video on Top Gear's YouTube channel reminds me that EV's can be exciting, albeit in a different way to ICE cars, but they can still have rawness and emotion IMO. It will take some getting used to, particularly in the sound aspect, but I'm looking forward to something new after 100+ years of virtually the same engine technology.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jDKtwXUkao&list=LL&index=2

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
When EV's can be lighter than a gasoline powered car, then they won't be utterly stupid + pathetic

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The only way I could handle driving an EV sports car is if they realistically pumped into the cabin, the sound of the older F1 V12 engines which revved to a mind numbing 17,000 RPM.
Also, they need to have a shiftable transmission for driver involvement.

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The only way I could handle driving an EV sports car is if they realistically pumped into the cabin, the sound of the older F1 V12 engines which revved to a mind numbing 17,000 RPM.
Also, they need to have a shiftable transmission for driver involvement.
and be able to be used in the winter. and charged in 5 seconds. and not weigh +2000 lbs more, and not burst into flames in an accident, and hm. yeah. be not an EV

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@TomE i want to reply to all of these comments but this website gives me issues when I try to reply. No matter what browser I use. I know you like lotus but I don't care If they fail or succeed. And based on their history and current landscape they will be lucky to last the decade.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@KusaKusa those aren't bad points but you're talking about Lotus here. They are the complete opposite when it comes to fixing issues quickly and cheaply. That's why we are how many years away from an EV? Something you know Tesla excels at. Who's going to buy an EV lotus? When you bring the Evija I think that's a good example of how far behind they are. It's not even a production line vehicle. Making 50 cars for a few million each is easy. Simply comparing the Evija specs to the Roadster and then realizing the Tesla is 10x less expensive with much better tech overall. Obviously Evija isn't their bread and butter but it's just another example. Lotus took a huge loan during the biggest infaltion hike in history. Pretty obvious what's coming next

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
and be able to be used in the winter. and charged in 5 seconds. and not weigh +2000 lbs more, and not burst into flames in an accident, and hm. yeah. be not an EV
I just got home from a 280 mile winter drive with 30mph winds in my EV and it miraculously didn't burst into flames or need to be charged. It also weighs the same as a (slower) 2022 BMW M3 while costing $20k less 🤷‍♂️

If you don't like EV's just don't buy one... problem solved lol

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I guess I’m agnostic on the EV sports car question. But what bothers me is the either/or way that the EV vs. ICE choice is being presented. Both means of propulsion have merit, so why can’t both exist in the marketplace and leave the choice to the individual? That there is an inevitability about EVs is primarily for two reasons. First is the economic argument. EVs are soon to have a larger margin for manufacturers than comparable ICE cars (when costs get to <$100/kWh). So on the surface, it makes sense for manufacturers to transition to EVs since their job is to make a profit for their investors. The second argument revolves around environmental impact and the associated politics. If people would stop to think it through, EVs are at best a wash from an environmental perspective. I’d like to see both options be available to consumers. If manufacturers need to charge more for an ICE car so the margin is comparable to an EV, then so be it. If the market isn’t there then production will cease organically. But instead we are being compelled, even forced to change to EVs in large part because of policy choices grounded in superficial considerations of environmental impact. Ultimately these forces limit our choices. Why not seek to maximize choice instead? I’ve actually found myself frequently looking at the original Tesla roadster, which I think is a really cool car. At the same time I can’t wait to take ownership of my Emira. There’s room for both in the marketplace, and honestly without really harming the environment. So I’m excited about a future where I get to choose the cars in my stable, some ICE and some EV.

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
At some point in the near future, many members of this forum will probably be owning both ICE and EV sports cars and rightfully bragging about them ;)

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I guess I’m agnostic on the EV sports car question. But what bothers me is the either/or way that the EV vs. ICE choice is being presented. Both means of propulsion have merit, so why can’t both exist in the marketplace and leave the choice to the individual? That there is an inevitability about EVs is primarily for two reasons. First is the economic argument. EVs are soon to have a larger margin for manufacturers than comparable ICE cars (when costs get to <$100/kWh). So on the surface, it makes sense for manufacturers to transition to EVs since their job is to make a profit for their investors. The second argument revolves around environmental impact and the associated politics. If people would stop to think it through, EVs are at best a wash from an environmental perspective. I’d like to see both options be available to consumers. If manufacturers need to charge more for an ICE car so the margin is comparable to an EV, then so be it. If the market isn’t there then production will cease organically. But instead we are being compelled, even forced to change to EVs in large part because of policy choices grounded in superficial considerations of environmental impact. Ultimately these forces limit our choices. Why not seek to maximize choice instead? I’ve actually found myself frequently looking at the original Tesla roadster, which I think is a really cool car. At the same time I can’t wait to take ownership of my Emira. There’s room for both in the marketplace, and honestly without really harming the environment. So I’m excited about a future where I get to choose the cars in my stable, some ICE and some EV.

dont be excited as due to the current people in "office", gasoline cars are being banned and deals with china and VW are being done to transfer wealth. EV's are a cult now and not an option. Look at the european koolaid situation. It should be up to the consumer and be fun options either of these, but it is now religious dogma that is being supported by billions of USA taxpayer's funds to prop up. I wish it was just an option and the market would decide, but alas nay.

KusaKusa

Reaction score
@KusaKusa those aren't bad points but you're talking about Lotus here. They are the complete opposite when it comes to fixing issues quickly and cheaply. That's why we are how many years away from an EV? Something you know Tesla excels at. Who's going to buy an EV lotus? When you bring the Evija I think that's a good example of how far behind they are. It's not even a production line vehicle. Making 50 cars for a few million each is easy. Simply comparing the Evija specs to the Roadster and then realizing the Tesla is 10x less expensive with much better tech overall. Obviously Evija isn't their bread and butter but it's just another example. Lotus took a huge loan during the biggest infaltion hike in history. Pretty obvious what's coming next
Is making a limited production EV hypercar really that easy? There have been a lot of claimed vehicles, but the only vehicles we've seen driven by journalists have been the Rimac Nevera and Lotus Evija. Hypercar OEMs like Ferrari, Koenigsegg, McLaren, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin have all only made hybrid hypercars but no pure EVs. And I can't really compare the Evija to a Tesla car that doesn't actually exist yet. They're claiming a 200 kWh battery in that small, low package? I'll doubt it until they deliver it to customers, as it's not even possible with their not-yet-available 4680 battery. Heck, the Model S Plaid is already amongst customers and it still hasn't been able to achieve their 200 MPH top speed claim while they still advertise it.

And bringing it back to the original topic, Tesla is not even in the conversation for an EV sports car. Tesla's doing a great job making mass market EVs, but that's also exactly why they won't make a sports car focused on light weight and agility. Why invest a ton of money into R&D and manufacturing for a lightweight-specific platform for such a historically small market when they can make loads more cash selling more of what they already have? Their focus on money is apparent with them shelving the $25k "Model 2" despite Elon's mission to bring EVs to everyone ASAP, but not saying there's anything wrong with making money. Lotus is aiming for a smaller piece of the pie with Type 135 so they can have a compelling product for the few of us into it and modernize their mantra, and I respect them for that.

And don't be mistaken thinking that the Roadster is or will be a sports car. The fact Tesla claimed it'll have a 200 kWh battery, use the existing skateboard battery shape, and have a low 0-60 MPH time means they're aiming for a straight line missile with cruising range, which leads to weight that disqualifies it from athletic pretensions. It'll basically be a Model S Plaid with a gussied up exterior to upcharge it and reach the supercar social media customers.

Well other than that, you're just throwing random claims around and hoping one sticks. So we can agree to disagree on Lotus' future viability.

DrNio13

Reaction score
just to be clear, Tesla Roadster is not a production line vehicle either. They didn't even built 50 cars ;)

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
just to be clear, Tesla Roadster is not a production line vehicle either. They didn't even built 50 cars ;)
Tesla built just under 2,500 original roadsters...

Last edited:

DrNio13

Reaction score
Tesla built just under 2,500 original roadsters...
Simply comparing the Evija specs to the Roadster and then realizing the Tesla is 10x less expensive with much better tech overall

a bit confused with the "orginal Roadster" term. tesla build just under 2,500 new roadsters?

my point was for the new roadster, they didn't go to production either.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@KusaKusa lot wrong with what you said. Tesla is designing the Roadster to be Sub 5 min and 19 seconds on the ring(which is current record) The 25k tesla will never be needed due to autonomy but I digress. You've read a few articles and are reasonably informed but respectfully I've been studying Tesla for over half a decade. Cheers

Last edited:

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@DrNio13 correct they haven't gone to production. Tesla is expanding and it is focusing on high margin vehicles. That's why they make more per vehicle than any other manufacturer. When chip shortage is rectified and they don't need to squeeze every dollar out the Roadster will go into production. the car is 200k and just as fast as the Evija with over twice the range. Will be interesting to see such an incredible machine at 10x cheaper than Lotus or Rimac