• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

EV Poll - Do you want a sports car EV

Will you buy an sports car EV

• Total voters

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Once the world realizes that EV's are cheap as dirt to manufacture, competition will crush the car industry into an unprofitable mess. This is why China wants in, it has slave labor and there is no bottom end. Does one really notice any difference between EV's? seriously, come on. lithium ion batteries are such ancient technology. Teslas are just early to things and raking the profits of billions in subsidies. Very low quality vehicles. The only things that last are the parts that anyone could make, and they will. There will be no justification for a +$60k batter powered EV in a few short years. I also love how they make them "green and vegan" which means cheap crap interiors and lots of toxic waste.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Please let me know if this has been posted. It's starting to look like I will have all Lotus cars in the near future right after I win the lottery. Lotus 132, Emira, and the MR2 Sister Car.

In just a few months I have gone from never ever will I want an EV... to bring them on. Why not. Anybody else curious or slowly warming up to EVs?

This next article has this quote in it. It is an interview with Gavan Kershaw.

"How do you make an all-electric car engaging for enthusiast drivers?

You have to start with the basics of linear response and predictable and confidence-inspiring safe handling. Torque vectoring gives engineers a very powerful tuning set to reach new limits. A good EV will be brilliant – huge torque, high power and revolutionary design. I can’t wait!"

I've most recently had a Model 3 Performance and ND Miata in the garage. I’ve brought them both to the track and to auto cross, and they are both extremely fun (But in almost opposite ways). I don’t think I have to explain the virtues of the Miata, but the Model 3 was pretty much the opposite of everything. If the Miata is “slow car fast”, the Model 3 is “fast car slow”. Lightning fast in a straight line, clumsy in the corners, not 100% sure what the car is “thinking” but the car does an amazing job of keeping itself pointed the right way even if I screw up. Both are white knuckle experiences, both get the heart going, and when it came time to pick one for the weekend it was legitimately hard to choose.

Lots of people point to noise as lack of emotion but honestly, when I’m on track I don’t even hear the engine. I’m too focused on input to pay any mind to it.

So yeah, I’m excited about EV sports cars. It’s a different flavor. The Model 3 was a ton of fun, and it’s not even a sports car. I think the EV industry needs a company like Lotus to do it right and show everyone the full potential.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Once the world realizes that EV's are cheap as dirt to manufacture, competition will crush the car industry into an unprofitable mess. This is why China wants in, it has slave labor and there is no bottom end. Does one really notice any difference between EV's? seriously, come on. lithium ion batteries are such ancient technology. Teslas are just early to things and raking the profits of billions in subsidies. Very low quality vehicles. The only things that last are the parts that anyone could make, and they will. There will be no justification for a +$60k batter powered EV in a few short years. I also love how they make them "green and vegan" which means cheap crap interiors and lots of toxic waste.
In any forum I‘ve ever been to, I‘ve never seen one single person that was as hidebound, arrogant, and ignorant as you are. Every single comment of you is a pain to read and I‘m very thankful that there is only one person of your kind in this forum.
All of your arguments, thoughts and comments in that post are a 100 percent made up by you (as you like to do). What kind of an argument is it to say lithium ion technology is ancient, and therefore (the ~120 years older) combustion engines are better? Do you want people to laugh at you, or what is your intention? There are a few people here that don‘t like EVs. I‘m quite confident that most of them have never tried one. And of course they are not perfect yet, neither are they the final solution to climate change (which of course doesn’t exist in your world), but why shouldn‘t people even consider to get proven wrong? There are a hell of a lot of new possibilities for auto makers with EVs and I‘m very sure that we will see some great sports cars as well. Maybe just not today.

Last edited:

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Oh, like a remote control car with a skateboard of 3000 lbs of batteries is going to get a lot better. Maybe this is the 1920's and we just have not gone through the technological age yet! The chemistry is done for Lithium ion batteries, physical limit was known decades ago. This is not about "climate change" but about european countries wanting to redirect oil and coal to their pet corps in third world countries, as well as they are out of the loop on oil and coal trade and production for 70 years. Always an idiot like you who has to put up the "climate change oh i mentioned it i am so socially conscious now I win the argument" chimes in because THEY BOUGHT an EV and dont want to feel stupid. Virtue signaling always gets applause of the insular.

a few thousand of these videos and documents exist that show it is just to make money and has nothing to do with "environment", oh sorry Climate Change. That's what they do to insight virtue signaling, use Climate Change somewhere in their no facts self serving desire to justify their battery powered skateboard. If it was about the Environment, they would not make EV's.

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Think of this: people want EV's so much, they will fine and jail you after 2030 for owning the car you want, the gasoline one. It is so good that you have to subsidize it for wealthy people and fine poor people in order to force them to exist.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh, like a remote control car with a skateboard of 3000 lbs of batteries is going to get a lot better. Maybe this is the 1920's and we just have not gone through the technological age yet! The chemistry is done for Lithium ion batteries, physical limit was known decades ago. This is not about "climate change" but about european countries wanting to redirect oil and coal to their pet corps in third world countries, as well as they are out of the loop on oil and coal trade and production for 70 years. Always an idiot like you who has to put up the "climate change oh i mentioned it i am so socially conscious now I win the argument" chimes in because THEY BOUGHT an EV and dont want to feel stupid. Virtue signaling always gets applause of the insular.

a few thousand of these videos and documents exist that show it is just to make money and has nothing to do with "environment", oh sorry Climate Change. That's what they do to insight virtue signaling, use Climate Change somewhere in their no facts self serving desire to justify their battery powered skateboard. If it was about the Environment, they would not make EV's.
yikes-ari.gif

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It really hurts to have you here. You should google the „Dunning-Kruger-Effect“ as you feel so confident about what you‘re saying and think that you are a very smart guy.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
In any forum I‘ve ever been to, I‘ve never seen one single person that was as hidebound, arrogant, and ignorant as you are. Every single comment of you is a pain to read and I‘m very thankful that there is only one person of your kind in this forum.
All of your arguments, thoughts and comments in that post are a 100 percent made up by you (as you like to do). What kind of an argument is it to say lithium ion technology is ancient, and therefore (the ~120 years older) combustion engines are better? Do you want people to laugh at you, or what is your intention? There are a few people here that don‘t like EVs. I‘m quite confident that most of them have never tried one. And of course they are not perfect yet, neither are they the final solution to climate change (which of course doesn’t exist in your world), but why shouldn‘t people even consider to get proven wrong? There are a hell of a lot of new possibilities for auto makers with EVs and I‘m very sure that we will see some great sports cars as well. Maybe just not today.
I was thinking along the same lines. Nothing really useful to be found within his comments, maybe just put a block on his posts so they don't show-up and waste everyone's time? Maybe distract him with a Joe Rogan podcast?

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I was thinking along the same lines. Nothing really useful to be found within his comments, maybe just put a block on his posts so they don't show-up and waste everyone's time? Maybe distract him with a Joe Rogan podcast?
What's wrong with Joe Rogan, he's just telling the truth.
Just because it doesn't fit with the mainstream narrative doesn't make him wrong.

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I've most recently had a Model 3 Performance and ND Miata in the garage. I’ve brought them both to the track and to auto cross, and they are both extremely fun (But in almost opposite ways). I don’t think I have to explain the virtues of the Miata, but the Model 3 was pretty much the opposite of everything. If the Miata is “slow car fast”, the Model 3 is “fast car slow”. Lightning fast in a straight line, clumsy in the corners, not 100% sure what the car is “thinking” but the car does an amazing job of keeping itself pointed the right way even if I screw up. Both are white knuckle experiences, both get the heart going, and when it came time to pick one for the weekend it was legitimately hard to choose.

Lots of people point to noise as lack of emotion but honestly, when I’m on track I don’t even hear the engine. I’m too focused on input to pay any mind to it.

So yeah, I’m excited about EV sports cars. It’s a different flavor. The Model 3 was a ton of fun, and it’s not even a sports car. I think the EV industry needs a company like Lotus to do it right and show everyone the full potential.

Great post. You make a good point about sound. When I am just cruising in the morning and going through the gears I love the to hear the engine. But when I do mountain drives in the curves, I am not paying attention to the engine noise that much at all. All of the focus is on the road. I know others may hear the engine when doing autocross or mountain drives but there are many styles and skill levels out there.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Just because it doesn't fit with the mainstream narrative doesn't make him wrong.
Actually, there are facts, and everything else that is not a fact. We are way off topic here and I don't have the time to get into it. Go stock-up on horse de-wormer and you'll be good to go.

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
At some point in the near future, many members of this forum will probably be owning both ICE and EV sports cars and rightfully bragging about them ;)

A lot of people on this forum do have multiple cars. I wonder if the poll should have been how many cars do you need to have before you put an EV in the garage?! No way would I want an EV sports car for my only one, but as an extra, like I said, I have warmed up to the idea. At least enough to be very interested of new technologies coming out by Lotus, Tesla, Porsche, whoever. I like all brands.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Most of the time the opinion that 99% of the world‘s population stick to and that are proven to be evident are not a narrative, but facts.
And by the way: this contemptible guy just realized that he f***ed up and apologized. Not for the first time, as far as I know, and as far as I‘m informed his audience consists mostly of men with more than a few complexes 😂 Sounds clever to stick to his words.

Last edited:

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A lot of people on this forum do have multiple cars. I wonder if the poll should have been how many cars do you need to have before you put an EV in the garage?! No way would I want an EV sports car for my only one, but as an extra, like I said, I have warmed up to the idea. At least enough to be very interested of new technologies coming out by Lotus, Tesla, Porsche, whoever. I like all brands.
Agreed. I have a Performance Model 3 as a daily and it pretty much kills it in that realm. Close to zero maintenance or fueling costs, practical cargo/seating, smooth as hell, and nearly unbeatable in the 20-80mph range when you need instant torque to zip in and out of traffic.

I'm buying an Emira to fill all the gaps the Tesla can't: manual transmission, great sound, lightweight(!), mostly analog/mechanical feel, and an overall engaging enthusiast driving experience.

I think an EV + a purist sports car compliment each other really well. But I can understand the die-hard types who are resistant to change, or care more about visceral ICE cars than outright performance. Really hoping that the new Lotus EV's bridge that gap.

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Watching the latest Mission R concept video on Top Gear's YouTube channel reminds me that EV's can be exciting, albeit in a different way to ICE cars, but they can still have rawness and emotion IMO. It will take some getting used to, particularly in the sound aspect, but I'm looking forward to something new after 100+ years of virtually the same engine technology.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jDKtwXUkao&list=LL&index=2

Watched video. Incredible. 1500kg at 1000 HP. But more importantly it just seems like they can really keep the weight low and close to the ground. 1500kg is not just 1500kg, it matters where it is in the car.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Agreed. I have a Performance Model 3 as a daily and it pretty much kills it in that realm. Close to zero maintenance or fueling costs, practical cargo/seating, smooth as hell, and nearly unbeatable in the 20-80mph range when you need instant torque to zip in and out of traffic.

I'm buying an Emira to fill all the gaps the Tesla can't: manual transmission, great sound, lightweight(!), mostly analog/mechanical feel, and an overall engaging enthusiast driving experience.

I think an EV + a purist sports car compliment each other really well. But I can understand the die-hard types who are resistant to change, or care more about visceral ICE cars than outright performance. Really hoping that the new Lotus EV's bridge that gap.

Agreed. My perfect garage is an engaging petrol sports car and an EV utility vehicle. Maybe eventually add something super lightweight like a Caterham. I swapped my Wrangler and my Model 3 Performance for a Wrangler PHEV + Emira, but that Wrangler PHEV is really just to get me to an EV truck. I have a reservation for both a Cybertruck and a Rivian, I guess we’ll see which one is ready first. Both are delayed well into 2023 (Rivian has started deliveries but I am waiting for the 400 mile version). If Type 132 is special, maybe they can entice me away...

3MIRA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have a couple of petrol head friends in UK who have traded their Aston Martin Vantages for Taycan S. They can't stop eulogizing about them and stating they won't go back to ICE. Personally I am waiting for battery technology to mature and I am in no hurry. That is until legislators put a spanner in the works!

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Same! Poll should be different. I won't trade a Tesla for any ICE daily driver, but as far as "fun" cars? EV's aren't my jam for exactly the reason they're so perfect as daily drivers: no drama! :)

OP
Pegasi

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I found this video and posted it in another thread, I thought it should go here too. Don't know how true it is but it lays out the EV development for Lotus.

Feel free to change your vote after watching 3 minute video! :)