Toyota 2GR-FE engine vs. BMW B58 (Supra) engine

RENDERMAN

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It comes down to cost and warranty. I'm not that knowledgeable on engine tuning on the V6 - I blew up my Elan engine through over-modifying and have stuck to stock on my cars since then!

I know Cosworth built a modified NA V6 for the Evora for GT4 racing, enlarged to 4.0L and with a sequential gearbox, but as a race engine it needed frequent maintenance. I gather the issues in the Evora have included the ability of the gearbox to take the extra torque and engine bay temperatures affecting other components and heat-soaking the supercharger. The Evora 410 Sport (GT in the US) uses an uprated supercharger compared to the original Evora S.

Komotec have got the V6 up to 500hp in an Exige and sell that as a proven upgrade, although expensive. Lotus have had a V6 running reliably at 450hp on the bench. The Emira has a larger engine bay and better thermal management so I suspect Lotus will do a more powerful GT Emira with either a 430 or 450 version a couple of years after the First Editions.

Lotus has never been about max power, the fastest 0-60 times or straight line speed. Nor about how much you can tune the car afterwards. I know there's a stronger tuning culture in the US and that may be to the detriment of how Lotus (and the V6) are perceived. I'm guessing the AMG will therefore appeal more to those who want to modify.
How much for the Komotech upgrade?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The GT410 is called the GT in the US. Any of the 410 upgrades are applicable for the GT.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Not sure how anyone could say the Supra has a better engine! The most disappointing xbox feeling car I've driven in years! If you looked at the speedo it's was making decent pace but if you'd asked me on feel I'd have said it barely had 300bhp. The s55 in my old M4C had more character for sure

Or comfort tbh, it certainly felt more cramped inside than the emira, maybe the all black gave that illusion compared to my contrast leather, and visually an interior from a mainstream car a class below..

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Not sure how anyone could say the Supra has a better engine! The most disappointing xbox feeling car I've driven in years! If you looked at the speedo it's was making decent pace but if you'd asked me on feel I'd have said it barely had 300bhp. The s55 in my old M4C had more character for sure

Or comfort tbh, it certainly felt more cramped inside than the emira, maybe the all black gave that illusion compared to my contrast leather, and visually an interior from a mainstream car a class below..
Yep. S55 or S58 in the Supra would transform it. Actually in 2024 they are putting the S58 in for the GRMN model! It's going to be amazing. The chassis is great in the Supra but like all BMW derived cars, they are a bit isolated. My M2CS has more coming through the chassis to the driver but it's not a dedicated sports car like the Emira even if it's way faster road or track and a ton of fun with addictive power and buttery handling flow.

I am inline for a FE manual Emira more for mid-engined handling, flow and analog, visceral feel.

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Driven so many B58 cars and they are fast but boring. The 2GR has way more character and is more exciting to drive in every aspect

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Driven so many B58 cars and they are fast but boring. The 2GR has way more character and is more exciting to drive in every aspect
Agree on B58, but the S58 is a true M engine. Even my S55 is a much more exciting engine than the 2GR. It's not even close. The 2GR is exciting due to supercharger whine and engagement tactility of the shifter with that engine. That's about it. It's slow to rev, has a low redline, doesn't have great torque or even horsepower. The clutch is unnecessarily heavy for the power figures (M2CS is lighter and more progressive takeup). But as Lotus says it's sufficient for the product.